VS 2008 cannot open project

DavidC

Lately, when I open a project from the Recent Projects list I get a message
"The file or folder 'V:\2008VSProjects\.......' cannot be opened. Do you want
to remove the reference(s) to it from the Recent list(s)?"

Then I open it by browsing to the same folder location and it opens it fine.
I can close and open the same project all day. Then then next day I get
this message again. Any ideas how to solve it? Thanks.

Guest

Lately, when I open a project from the Recent Projects list I get a message
"The file or folder 'V:\2008VSProjects\.......' cannot be opened. Do you want
to remove the reference(s) to it from the Recent list(s)?"

Then I open it by browsing to the same folder location and it opens it fine.
 I can close and open the same project all day.  Then then next day I get
this message again.  Any ideas how to solve it?  Thanks.

Maybe then you click on the Recent List it refers to the solution file
(sln), which has been deleted? Try to click on Yes when it will ask to
remove and open through File-Open Project...

Hope this helps

DavidC

It does not give me anything other that Yes or No. Also, this is a Reporting
Services project .rptproj file if that matters. Thanks.

Gregory A. Beamer

DavidC said:
Lately, when I open a project from the Recent Projects list I get a
message
"The file or folder 'V:\2008VSProjects\.......' cannot be opened. Do you
want
to remove the reference(s) to it from the Recent list(s)?"

Then I open it by browsing to the same folder location and it opens it
fine.
I can close and open the same project all day. Then then next day I get
this message again. Any ideas how to solve it? Thanks.

When you get it open correctly, go through and resave at every level. That
should solve the problem.

Since you mention RS, I am not sure if there is something that is getting
munged up or not. I am also not sure if RS can spin up its site in the built
in web server. If so, that could be the disconnect. But that is a wild
guess. Apparently, the solution or project you open from the file is working
correctly. I guess a followup is are you double clicking the project file or
the solution file?

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Guest

It does not give me anything other that Yes or No.  Also, this is a Reporting
Services project .rptproj file if that matters. Thanks.

Usually this error happens when location of solution has been changed
or *.sln file has been deleted. What I mean is, you can remove it from
the the Recent list ("Do you want to remove the reference(s) to it
from the Recent list(s)?" - YES) and open again through File-Open
Project... If this does not help, follow Greg's repair method

DavidC

Gregory A. Beamer said:
When you get it open correctly, go through and resave at every level. That
should solve the problem.

Since you mention RS, I am not sure if there is something that is getting
munged up or not. I am also not sure if RS can spin up its site in the built
in web server. If so, that could be the disconnect. But that is a wild
guess. Apparently, the solution or project you open from the file is working
correctly. I guess a followup is are you double clicking the project file or
the solution file?

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |
I have had a problem with both. Yet when I get the message and I go look in
the location the .rptproj and the .sln files are in the exact location that
the message says it cannot find them in.
The biggest problem, I think, is with the .rptproj file but neither of them
is "missing" as I can go into Open...Project and find them and then they open
up fine.

David

Guest

I have had a problem with both.  Yet when I get the message and I go look in
the location the .rptproj and the .sln files are in the exact location that
the message says it cannot find them in.
The biggest problem, I think, is with the .rptproj file but neither of them
is "missing" as I can go into Open...Project and find them and then they open
up fine.

David

Well, maybe it's something wrong with your Studio. Check if it happens
with our projects with Reporting
Services. If it does, try to reinstall it.