vs.net 2003 or whidbey?

Bob Garbados

We have some 1.1 sites developed in dreamweaver and we will be developing
all new sites for the 2.0 framework when it's out of beta. We just
purchased an ms subscription and will be using visual studio for development
now. I like whidbey a lot more than vs.net 2003... can I skip learning 2003
and just use Whidbey to maintain our 1.1 sites? There are no project or
solution files to convert since we developed everything in dreamweaver
initially, so we'd be creating them all from scratch. Anyone have
experience
using whidbey for 1.1 web apps? Thanks.

Curt_C [MVP]

Using a beta for production sites is a HUGE no-no... things change, support
is modified... not a good idea.

Juan T. Llibre

You won't be able to open 1.1 projects in
VS.NET 2005 without converting the projects
to the new project format.

Once you do that, you won't be able to open
the projects in VS 2003 any more.

You CAN install both VS 2003 and VS 2005
in the same box and run them, but be aware
that converting your projects to VS 2005 will
make them lose compatibility with VS 2003.

You can run both ASP.NET 1.1 apps and 2.0 apps
on IIS 6.0, simultaneously, although you will need to
place your 1.1 apps and your 2.0 apps in separate
Application Pools.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Anders_Nor=E5s_=5BMCAD=5D=22?=

Bob said:
We have some 1.1 sites developed in dreamweaver and we will be developing
all new sites for the 2.0 framework when it's out of beta. We just
purchased an ms subscription and will be using visual studio for development
now. I like whidbey a lot more than vs.net 2003... can I skip learning 2003
and just use Whidbey to maintain our 1.1 sites?

Visual Studio .NET and Visual Studio .NET 2003 solutions and projects
must be converted to Visual Studio .NET 2005 solution and project
formats. These formats are not backward compatible.
The current beta versions of Visual Studio .NET 2005 do have "go live"
licences, so you cannot use them to develop or maintain production code.

Use Visual Studio .NET 2003 to develop and maintain your projects until
a "go live" licence is available. In parallel you can use the betas of
Visual Studio .NET 2005 to learn the many new features present there.
Learning to use Visual Studio .NET 2003 is not a waste of time, because
"everything" is still applicable in the 2.0 version of the framework.

Anders Norås
http://dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/anoras/

Showjumper

use vsnet 2003 for all your 1.1 projects and what i do is use vs 2005 to
edit indivual pages since it has better design view than vs 2003