VS.NET 2003, Visual Database Tools, Oracle 8i

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kevin Nechodom, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. In July 2003, there was a post by Srinivas Kanakapally [MSFT]:

    > In VS .Net 2002, with respect to Oracle we officially supported database
    > designing only against version 7.3. Though users were using this
    > functionality against Oracle8i and Oracle9i, it was never officially
    > supported.
    >
    > Due to changes in the database model used for Oracle 8.0 and later, Visual
    > Studio .NET 2003 (VS2003) no longer allows this functionality as it might
    > cause corruption of user data. So, if you attempt to implement one of these
    > functions, you will get one of the following errors:
    >
    > "This back-end version is not supported to design database diagrams or
    > tables"
    >
    > - or -
    >
    > "This back-end version is not supported to design views"

    I actually started having this error when a database was upgraded to
    9i, but after upgrading to VS 2003, I am now unable to update
    anything, quite in line with this message.

    What do I do about it? I have been using VS as a tool to create
    tables, make changes, and when the change is problematic, script the
    change. I can now do none of these things. What is the Microsoft
    suggestion for this loss of functionality? I know I can use Visio for
    some of this; has it been upgraded to handle non-destructive table
    changes?

    Thanks for any insight.

    Kevin Nechodom
    University of Utah MBM