VS2005 - Questions about Data Sources window

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dbuchanan, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. dbuchanan

    dbuchanan Guest

    Hello,

    A section in Data Sources window is mystifying to me.

    In the case of my code the Data Sources window shows my references to
    the data access layer.

    First here is what I see in my Data Sources window ...
    ([+] means expandable, [-] means expanded, [x] is a checked checkbox,
    "QmsDataLayer" is the name of the referenced data layer.)

    \\
    {} QmsDataLayer
    [+] DataSet1.lkpDeviceTypeDataTable
    [+] DataSet1.lkpLaborCostCodeRateDataTable
    [+] DataSet1.lkpOptionCategoryDataTable
    [+] DataSet1.tbl050OptionDataTable
    {} QmsDataLayer.DataSet1TableAdapters
    [-] lkpDeviceTypeTableAdapter <<< What is this?
    [x] ClearBeforeFill
    //

    1.) Why is only one TableAdapter represented in this section?
    \\
    {} QmsDataLayer.DataSet1TableAdapters
    [-] lkpDeviceTypeTableAdapter
    //

    The references as shown in the Class View for this project shows all
    the TableAdapters under "{} DataSet1TableAdapters"...
    \\
    [-] QmsUI
    [-] References
    [-] QmsDataLayer
    [-] {} QmsDataLayer
    [+] Class1
    [+] DataSet1
    [-] {} DataSet1TableAdapters
    [+] lkpDeviceTypeTableAdaper
    [+] lkpLaborCostCodeRateTableAdaper
    [+] lkpOptionCategoryTableAdaper
    [+] tbl050OptionTableAdaper
    //

    In other words, why don't I see this in the Data Sources window?...
    \\
    {} QmsDataLayer.DataSet1TableAdapters
    [-] lkpDeviceTypeTableAdapter
    [-] lkpLaborCostCodeRateTableAdapter
    [-] lkpOptionCategoryTableAdapter
    [-] tbl050OptionTableAdapter
    //

    2.) The one TableAdapter present has the option "ClearBeforeFill"
    selected. With the others not present does that mean that I can only
    have this feature available for the one TableAdapter?
    \\
    {} QmsDataLayer.DataSet1TableAdapters
    [-] lkpDeviceTypeTableAdapter <<< What is this?
    [x] ClearBeforeFill
    //

    Then there is this contradiction to consider. In my form(s) the
    TableAdapters are identified as shown below and each of these has its
    property "ClearBeforeFill" set to "True"
    \\
    DataSet11.LkpDeviceTypeTableAdapter1
    DataSet11.lkpLaborCostCodeRateTableAdapter1
    DataSet11.lkpOptionCategoryTableAdapter1
    DataSet11.tbl050OptionTableAdapter1
    //

    4.) This brings me to the question... why the section "{}
    QmsDataLayer.DataSet1TableAdapters" even present in the Data Sources
    window? My first guess would be that it is brought in with the
    reference to QmsDataLayer, but the class view of QmsDataLayer looks
    like this...

    \\
    QmsDataLayer
    [-] {} QmsDataLayer
    [+] Class1
    [+] DataSet1
    [-] {} DataSet1TableAdapters
    [+] lkpDeviceTypeTableAdaper
    [+] lkpLaborCostCodeRateTableAdaper
    [+] lkpOptionCategoryTableAdaper
    [+] tbl050OptionTableAdaper
    [+] ...
    [+] ...
    //

    The presence of all the TableAdapters under "{}
    DataSet1TableAdapters" brings me back to question #1 about why there
    is only one TableAdapter shown under "{}
    QmsDataLayer.DataSet1TableAdapters".

    It is not because I haven't refreshed the Data Source window.

    Does anyone have any explanation for all this?

    Thank you,
    dbuchanan
    dbuchanan, Dec 1, 2005

  2. dbuchanan

    Bart Mermuys Guest

    Hi,

    "dbuchanan" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > like this...
    >
    > \\
    > QmsDataLayer
    > [-] {} QmsDataLayer
    > [+] Class1
    > [+] DataSet1
    > [-] {} DataSet1TableAdapters
    > [+] lkpDeviceTypeTableAdaper
    > [+] lkpLaborCostCodeRateTableAdaper
    > [+] lkpOptionCategoryTableAdaper
    > [+] tbl050OptionTableAdaper
    > [+] ...
    > [+] ...
    > //
    >
    > The presence of all the TableAdapters under "{}
    > DataSet1TableAdapters" brings me back to question #1 about why there
    > is only one TableAdapter shown under "{}
    > QmsDataLayer.DataSet1TableAdapters".
    >
    > It is not because I haven't refreshed the Data Source window.
    >
    > Does anyone have any explanation for all this?

    I don't think those TableAdapters should be under Data Source Window, i
    managed to get one tableadapter under it with a checkbox for
    ClearBeforeFill, but this checkbox just represent what will be used when you
    drag it to the Form. It's not to set the property or not.

    So i would remove it. The question is how did you end up with this
    TableAdapter under Data Sources ? The way i managed to get one there was to
    choose "New Data Source", then "Object" and then select an already existing
    TableAdapter. That was just for testing, you really shouldn't have
    TableAdapters under Data Source .......

    If you want to configure the TableAdapters, you need to get the project in
    which they were created, open Data Sources window, click on your Typed
    DataSet and right-click an then choose "Edit DataSet With Designer", you
    should now see a visual representation of all the DataTable's and
    TableAdapters which you can also configure.

    "ClearBeforeFill" is a property which you can set using Properties Window on
    an _instance_ of a TableAdapter that is on a Form or from code.

    HTH,
    Greetings

    Bart Mermuys, Dec 1, 2005