    Could you please give me some suggestions?

    Thanks a lot,
    Lixing
    Lixing, Jun 21, 2010

  2. On 6/20/2010 11:51 PM, Lixing wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been googling this topic for a while, and cannot find anything
    > I want..
    >
    > basically, there are two suggestions on the web, first is JMF, but
    > Java has stopped supporting that for a long time, and it is not native
    > to Mac; the second is QuickTime for Java, unfortunately, it is
    > deprecated...
    >
    > Could you please give me some suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Lixing

    You are really stuck with JMF or you can wait for Java7 but that is
    going to take a long time for MAC.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2010/
    Knute Johnson, Jun 21, 2010

  3. Lixing

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 21-06-2010 02:51, Lixing wrote:
    > I have been googling this topic for a while, and cannot find anything
    > I want..
    >
    > basically, there are two suggestions on the web, first is JMF, but
    > Java has stopped supporting that for a long time, and it is not native
    > to Mac; the second is QuickTime for Java, unfortunately, it is
    > deprecated...
    >
    > Could you please give me some suggestions?

    Multimedia for Java today is supposed to be via JavaFX.

    JavaFX is available for MacOS X.

    Worth a try!!

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 21, 2010
  4. On 6/22/2010 12:56 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Knute Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> On 6/20/2010 11:51 PM, Lixing wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have been googling this topic for a while, and cannot find anything
    >>> I want..
    >>>
    >>> basically, there are two suggestions on the web, first is JMF, but
    >>> Java has stopped supporting that for a long time, and it is not native
    >>> to Mac; the second is QuickTime for Java, unfortunately, it is
    >>> deprecated...
    >>>
    >>> Could you please give me some suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot,
    >>> Lixing

    >> You are really stuck with JMF or you can wait for Java7 but that is
    >> going to take a long time for MAC.

    > What makes you think Java 7 is going to offer video support for anything
    > other than JavaFX?

    That's been their claim for years. Maybe they won't now with FX.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2010/
    Knute Johnson, Jun 22, 2010
  5. On 6/23/2010 3:20 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Knute Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> On 6/22/2010 12:56 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
    >>> "Knute Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >>> What makes you think Java 7 is going to offer video support for anything
    >>> other than JavaFX?

    >> That's been their claim for years. Maybe they won't now with FX.

    > Yes, but the latest word is that if you want video in a Java
    > application/applet you have to use FX. Oracle is pushing FX very hard to
    > the detriment of any further Swing/Java2D development which is a slap in
    > the face for many people, me included.

    I looked at the JDK7 website just now and I don't see any new
    audio/video API. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to use FX.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2010/
    Knute Johnson, Jun 23, 2010
  6. Lixing

    markspace Guest

    Knute Johnson wrote:

    > I looked at the JDK7 website just now and I don't see any new
    > audio/video API. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to use FX.

    Actually, you can just use the JavaFX classes directly in your Java
    programs. They're just regular old Java classes. Sometimes the
    arguments or results are a little weird: to be "friendly" JavaFX script
    does a lot of autoboxing and type-conversion automatically, and JavaFX
    classes tend to use Number and Lists of Objects a lot, iirc, but that's
    not a serious impediment to working with them.
    markspace, Jun 23, 2010
  7. On 6/23/2010 10:20 AM, markspace wrote:
    > Knute Johnson wrote:
    >

    >> I looked at the JDK7 website just now and I don't see any new
    >> audio/video API. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to use FX.
    >>

    > Actually, you can just use the JavaFX classes directly in your Java
    > programs. They're just regular old Java classes. Sometimes the arguments
    > or results are a little weird: to be "friendly" JavaFX script does a lot
    > of autoboxing and type-conversion automatically, and JavaFX classes tend
    > to use Number and Lists of Objects a lot, iirc, but that's not a serious
    > impediment to working with them.

    Thanks. I looked at it early on but it wasn't clear to me how to
    actually use it in a Java program. I think I need FX for dummies to get
    started :).

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2010/
    Knute Johnson, Jun 23, 2010
  8. Lixing

    markspace Guest

    Knute Johnson wrote:

    > Thanks. I looked at it early on but it wasn't clear to me how to
    > actually use it in a Java program. I think I need FX for dummies to get
    > started :).

    This is the book I have, it does cover using JavaFX classes with Java SE:

    <http://www.amazon.com/JavaFX-Developing-Rich-Internet-Applications/dp/013701287X>

    I'll try to put together a quick example later....
    markspace, Jun 23, 2010
  9. On 6/23/2010 11:40 AM, markspace wrote:
    > Knute Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I looked at it early on but it wasn't clear to me how to
    >> actually use it in a Java program. I think I need FX for dummies to
    >> get started :).
    >>

    > This is the book I have, it does cover using JavaFX classes with Java SE:
    >
    > <http://www.amazon.com/JavaFX-Developing-Rich-Internet-Applications/dp/013701287X>
    >

    > I'll try to put together a quick example later....

    Thanks very much, I ordered it. I can see some studying in my future.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2010/
    Knute Johnson, Jun 24, 2010
  10. Lixing

    Lew Guest

    Qu0ll wrote:
    > It's not quite that simple. The Swing/JavaFX integration classes were
    > removed in a recent JDK release (1.6.0_18???) and the JavaFX license

    Which classes were those, specifically?

    > prohibits you from distributing JavaFX JARs in anything other than a
    > JavaFX context.

    Doesn't distributing the JavaFX JARs establish a "JavaFX context"? That's
    like saying you're only allowed to distribute the Java rt.jar for programs
    intended to run on a JVM.

    > Oracle is *forcing* us to use JavaFX if we want anything fancy in our
    > GUIs such as media. Swing has not been touched in over 18 months and

    Maybe because they didn't need to be touched? That's not necessarily a bad thing.

    > JavaFX no longer uses Java2D for its rendering engine so development of
    > that has stopped as well. There will be no new Swing classes in Java 7

    Do there need to be?

    > except perhaps for a JXLayer based class. Oracle has EOL'ed Swing and

    Evidence?

    And if Swing is EOL, why is there
    <http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/api/javax/swing/package-summary.html>
    ?

    > Java2D in favour of a purely JavaFX focused future.

    Evidence?

    <http://javafx.com/faq/#5.1>
    contradicts your claims:
    "5.1 Is JavaFX replacing Swing as Java's client UI library?
    "No. ... JavaFX applications that are designed for desktop environments can
    take advantage of the powerful Swing widget toolkit to build RIA that are
    optimized for the desktop."
    (© 2010, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates.)

    If you're going to make these wild-eyed fear-mongering statements, please
    provide references to show that they're something more than fevered imaginings.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 24, 2010
  11. Lixing

    markspace Guest

    Qu0ll wrote:
    > the JavaFX license
    > prohibits you from distributing JavaFX JARs in anything other than a
    > JavaFX context.

    The JavaFX license does seem to preclude using the Jar files in say an
    embedded device like a phone or set-top TV. It also appears that you'll
    have to have an end user download JavaFX separately so they can agree to
    Oracle's license, though I'm actually not certain about that. Probably,
    you'd have to have an end-user download Java SE separately too.
    markspace, Jun 24, 2010