want to play video using Java on Mac

Lixing

Hi,

I have been googling this topic for a while, and cannot find anything
I want..

basically, there are two suggestions on the web, first is JMF, but
Java has stopped supporting that for a long time, and it is not native
to Mac; the second is QuickTime for Java, unfortunately, it is
deprecated...

Could you please give me some suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Lixing

Knute Johnson

Hi,

I have been googling this topic for a while, and cannot find anything
I want..

basically, there are two suggestions on the web, first is JMF, but
Java has stopped supporting that for a long time, and it is not native
to Mac; the second is QuickTime for Java, unfortunately, it is
deprecated...

Could you please give me some suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Lixing

You are really stuck with JMF or you can wait for Java7 but that is
going to take a long time for MAC.

Arne Vajhøj

I have been googling this topic for a while, and cannot find anything
I want..

basically, there are two suggestions on the web, first is JMF, but
Java has stopped supporting that for a long time, and it is not native
to Mac; the second is QuickTime for Java, unfortunately, it is
deprecated...

Could you please give me some suggestions?

Multimedia for Java today is supposed to be via JavaFX.

JavaFX is available for MacOS X.

Worth a try!!

Arne

Knute Johnson

What makes you think Java 7 is going to offer video support for anything
other than JavaFX?

That's been their claim for years. Maybe they won't now with FX.

Knute Johnson

Yes, but the latest word is that if you want video in a Java
application/applet you have to use FX. Oracle is pushing FX very hard to
the detriment of any further Swing/Java2D development which is a slap in
the face for many people, me included.

I looked at the JDK7 website just now and I don't see any new
audio/video API. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to use FX.

markspace

Knute said:
I looked at the JDK7 website just now and I don't see any new
audio/video API. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to use FX.

Actually, you can just use the JavaFX classes directly in your Java
programs. They're just regular old Java classes. Sometimes the
arguments or results are a little weird: to be "friendly" JavaFX script
does a lot of autoboxing and type-conversion automatically, and JavaFX
classes tend to use Number and Lists of Objects a lot, iirc, but that's
not a serious impediment to working with them.

Knute Johnson

Actually, you can just use the JavaFX classes directly in your Java
programs. They're just regular old Java classes. Sometimes the arguments
or results are a little weird: to be "friendly" JavaFX script does a lot
of autoboxing and type-conversion automatically, and JavaFX classes tend
to use Number and Lists of Objects a lot, iirc, but that's not a serious
impediment to working with them.

Thanks. I looked at it early on but it wasn't clear to me how to
actually use it in a Java program. I think I need FX for dummies to get
started :).

Lew

Qu0ll said:
It's not quite that simple. The Swing/JavaFX integration classes were
removed in a recent JDK release (1.6.0_18???) and the JavaFX license

Which classes were those, specifically?
prohibits you from distributing JavaFX JARs in anything other than a
JavaFX context.

Doesn't distributing the JavaFX JARs establish a "JavaFX context"? That's
like saying you're only allowed to distribute the Java rt.jar for programs
intended to run on a JVM.
Oracle is *forcing* us to use JavaFX if we want anything fancy in our
GUIs such as media. Swing has not been touched in over 18 months and

Maybe because they didn't need to be touched? That's not necessarily a bad thing.
JavaFX no longer uses Java2D for its rendering engine so development of
that has stopped as well. There will be no new Swing classes in Java 7

Do there need to be?
except perhaps for a JXLayer based class. Oracle has EOL'ed Swing and

Evidence?

And if Swing is EOL, why is there
Java2D in favour of a purely JavaFX focused future.

Evidence?

<http://javafx.com/faq/#5.1>
contradicts your claims:
"5.1 Is JavaFX replacing Swing as Java's client UI library?
"No. ... JavaFX applications that are designed for desktop environments can
take advantage of the powerful Swing widget toolkit to build RIA that are
optimized for the desktop."
(© 2010, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates.)

If you're going to make these wild-eyed fear-mongering statements, please
provide references to show that they're something more than fevered imaginings.

markspace

Qu0ll said:
the JavaFX license
prohibits you from distributing JavaFX JARs in anything other than a
JavaFX context.

The JavaFX license does seem to preclude using the Jar files in say an
embedded device like a phone or set-top TV. It also appears that you'll
have to have an end user download JavaFX separately so they can agree to
Oracle's license, though I'm actually not certain about that. Probably,
you'd have to have an end-user download Java SE separately too.