Web Controls switching from Design view to HTML view causing problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Ziyad Makki, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Ziyad Makki

    Ziyad Makki Guest

    Hello,
    I have created a Web Composite Control. I have also created a designer class
    that is used to render the control at design time.

    All though it dose work, I have been experiencing some strange behaviour
    with the control. The following steps describe what I'm doing to cause the
    problem.
    * After dragging and dropping the control onto my page. I change some of
    the properties of the control. This is done using the property window.
    * Save changes
    * Change the view to the HTML view. Add some html anywhere on the page.
    For example put a   somewhere.
    * Save changes
    * Change back to Design view. All the changes that where made in the
    property window have been lost.

    I have also developed another web control. That seems to play up when
    switching from design to html and back again... you will like this one!.
    Sometimes if I switch from design to html not change anything or do
    anything, the control would come up with an error "error creating control"
    with no other information. I would have to switch back to HTML then back
    again to design and it would be fine. Does anyone have an idea as to what
    this may be?

    Hope you can help

    Regards
    Zi
    Ziyad Makki, Aug 2, 2004

  2. I get the same problems on occasion.

    Sometimes this works:

    1) Delete all bin folders - if you have a lot, a batch file helps.
    2) Open Task Mangler, er, Task Manager, and kill the aspnet_wp process - oh,
    the official term is 'recycle'.
    3) Delete the folders below 'C:\Documents and Settings\<your
    name>\VSWebCache'
    4) Delete the folders below 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\<version>\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files'
    5) Recompile the control/solution, and re-add the control to your tool-box.

    and sometimes it doesn't.

    Harry F. Harrison, Aug 23, 2004