    domain ?

    Thank you.

    ---

    Nowhere, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Nowhere

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <ca4pmp$np1$>, lid
    says...
    > What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
    > Notepad do?

    Best for money editor has to be topstyle. Best free one has to be HTML-
    Kit (YMMV)

    > Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
    > domain ?

    Depends on if you want to pay for it or not. Search google for Web
    hosts and you will be rewarded with thousands of hosts.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 8, 2004

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?HTML_editors

    > Or should I just use Frontpage?

    Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
    hands of a master.

    If you really want to spend time mastering Frontpage (after mastering HTML
    and CSS) then you might want to go with it. My personal preference would be
    to avoid it like the plague.

    > What can Notepad do?

    It can let you type text in. I suggest you avoid Notepad - it can't handle
    UNIX line endings (at least it couldn't last time I used it), it has a
    nasty habit of appending .txt to your filename (foo.html.txt) (ditto on the
    last time bit), and it doesn't have basic things like syntax highlighting.

    > Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
    > domain ?

    Most companies that offer webhosting also offer domain name services.
    http://affordablehost.com/ is supposed to be good, I haven't used them
    myself.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Nowhere

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Nowhere" <> wrote in message
    > What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
    > Notepad do?
    >
    > Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
    > domain ?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > ---

    DreamWeaver MX 2004 is by far the best of all the editors out there, but
    it's a fairly big package and takes a bit to get to grips with. It hand;es
    all of the really complex stuff very well though - including ASP, JSP, C#
    and other .NET lanuages, plus the usual suspects - HTML, XHTML, CSS and XML
    + really good Flash support, great layer handling and one of the most simple
    CSS and style management things on the market. Also great at site
    management, and built in FTP.

    FrontPage fails on almost all of these items in one way or another, and
    should be seriously avoided.

    SpaceGirl, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Nowhere wrote:

    > What are good web editors to use?

    You want to edit the web? :)

    > Or should I just use Frontpage?

    Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
    1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
    pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
    Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
    vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.

    That's what frontpage is like, except it's worse. Frontpage is like
    that, but then some bastard's taken out the climb-out ladders, and
    raised the walls by 6 feet so you can't get out. Also, Frontpage has
    some pharinas in there, along with 15 Great White Sharks, some deadly
    jelly fish, and a very loud speaker-system that plays Barry Manilow
    music which has been very badly mixed with Celine Dion.

    > What can Notepad do?

    It let's you type.

    > Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

    How: with an FTP program. I, personally, use WS_FTP. There's CuteFTP as
    well, and a million others. Search for "FTP" at www.download.com.

    Where: To web-space on the world-wide-web. Usually your ISP will have
    some space available. If not, you could sign up to Geocities for free
    space - www.geocities.com, although purchasing web-space will allow for
    greater flexibility. www.oneandone.co.uk (European and American) will
    allow you to do this. They are an excellent hosting company. I have used
    them for 3 years with not a single problem.

    > How do you get your own domain ?

    You have to buy one. 99% of web hosting companies will offer to sell you
    a domain name. www.oneandone.co.uk can do it very cheaply for you. There
    are a multitute of domain sellers out there.

    > Thank you.

    no problem.

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 8, 2004
  6. David Dorward wrote:

    > Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
    > hands of a master.

    Not eveb MAster Yoda could create a good site using Frontpage.

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Nowhere

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:09:58 +0100, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    <> wrote:

    > Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
    > 1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
    > pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
    > Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
    > vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.
    >
    > That's what frontpage is like, except it's worse. Frontpage is like
    > that, but then some bastard's taken out the climb-out ladders, and
    > raised the walls by 6 feet so you can't get out. Also, Frontpage has
    > some pharinas in there, along with 15 Great White Sharks, some deadly
    > jelly fish, and a very loud speaker-system that plays Barry Manilow
    > music which has been very badly mixed with Celine Dion.

    Then there's my ex. It could be worse...

    >> What can Notepad do?

    > It let's you type.
    >
    >> Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

    > How: with an FTP program. I, personally, use WS_FTP. There's CuteFTP as
    > well, and a million others. Search for "FTP" at www.download.com.

    Crimson Editor - a very nice free text editor - has a built-in FTP.

    Neal, Jun 8, 2004
  8. Quoth the raven Weyoun the Dancing Borg:

    > David Dorward wrote:
    >
    >> Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
    >> hands of a master.

    > Not eveb MAster Yoda could create a good site using Frontpage.

    Master Yoda might be able to create a good site in FrontPlague, but
    only if he used the Source view exclusively. <g> Kinda like Notepad.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    >> Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

    > How: with an FTP program.

    Hopefully not. Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
    upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 8, 2004
  10. David Dorward wrote:
    > Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    >

    >>>Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

    >>How: with an FTP program.

    > Hopefully not. Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
    > upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

    well as it happens, the people I suggested, oneandone.co.uk, actually DO
    use sftp :p

    http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/server/root_server/security/1.html

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Master Yoda might be able to create a good site in FrontPlague, but only
    > if he used the Source view exclusively. <g> Kinda like Notepad.

    then why spend $xxx on Frontpage when you can use notpad or any number
    of free text editors, yes, even ones that colour-code the HTML for easy
    editing and reading instead?

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 8, 2004
  12. David Dorward wrote:

    > Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
    > upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

    Rsync+SSH is my fave.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jun 8, 2004
  13. Uploading using Rsync and SSH (was Web Editors)

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >> Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
    >> upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

    > Rsync+SSH is my fave.

    Oh yes, its lovely. Site sans navigation and headings to online in three
    easy steps.

    1. perl prog/cms/perl/generateSite.pl

    2. find prog/cms/working/target/ -name \*html -exec src/wdg/validate {} \;

    3. rsync -v -r -e 'ssh -C' prog/cms/working/target/
    dorward.me.uk:/path/to/site/

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 8, 2004
  14. Nowhere

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Master Yoda might be able to create a good site in FrontPlague, but
    >> only if he used the Source view exclusively. <g> Kinda like Notepad.

    > then why spend $xxx on Frontpage when you can use notpad or any number
    > of free text editors, yes, even ones that colour-code the HTML for
    > easy editing and reading instead?

    I agree that it would be stupid to pay for Frontpage. However it's on most
    PCs that have MS Office. I use it on other people's computers all the time
    (solely in source view, never design -- yuck!), in order to avoid having to
    download or install anything, just for the syntax highlighting, which
    Notepad doesn't do. At work I use the Delphi IDE (which also does HTML
    syntax highlighting), mainly because it has keyboard macroing, which I use
    all the time.

    Nik Coughin, Jun 8, 2004
  15. Nowhere

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <QOqxc.399$>,
    says...
    > Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
    > 1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
    > pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
    > Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
    > vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.

    Your trying to turn brucie on aren't you?
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 9, 2004
  16. Nowhere

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <GPqxc.400$>,
    says...
    > Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    > _ _
    > /~\\ \ //~\
    > | \\ \ // |
    > [ || || ]
    > ] Y || || Y [
    > | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    > | >' `< |
    > \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    > `-_>-__________-<_-'
    > /(_#(__)#_)\
    > \___/__\___/
    > /__`--'__\
    > /\(__,>-~~ __)
    > /\//\\( `--~~ )
    > '\/ <^\ /^>
    > _\ >-__-< /_
    > (___\ /___)

    Very cute, now can you stop?
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 9, 2004
  17. Nowhere

    data64 Guest

    >> Once built, how and where do you upload it to?
    >
    > How: with an FTP program. I, personally, use WS_FTP. There's CuteFTP as
    > well, and a million others. Search for "FTP" at www.download.com.

    I would recommend FileZilla. Open Source, Free, supports sftp and multi-
    threaded restartable transfers.
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

    data64

    data64, Jun 9, 2004
  18. Quoth the raven Weyoun the Dancing Borg:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Master Yoda might be able to create a good site in FrontPlague, but
    >> only if he used the Source view exclusively. <g> Kinda like Notepad.

    > then why spend $xxx on Frontpage when you can use notpad or any number
    > of free text editors, yes, even ones that colour-code the HTML for easy
    > editing and reading instead?

    Oh, you would never catch me spending any $xxx on FrontPlague. I like
    Crimson Editor, as Neal mentioned. Though, since I have Visual Studio
    for the day job, I normally use Visual Interdev for the web projects.
    Yes, just the source editing parts. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Nowhere

    Nowhere Guest

    So basically HTML - Kit (YMMV) is the best free one. And is better than
    Frontpage...Thanks.

    ---

    Nowhere, Jun 9, 2004
  20. Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <QOqxc.399$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
    >>1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
    >>pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
    >>Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
    >>vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.

    > Your trying to turn brucie on aren't you?

    heh no but I have used Frontpage in the past :)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 9, 2004