Web Editors

Nowhere

What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
Notepad do?

Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
domain ?

Thank you.

Whitecrest

What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
Notepad do?

Best for money editor has to be topstyle. Best free one has to be HTML-
Kit (YMMV)
Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
domain ?

Depends on if you want to pay for it or not. Search google for Web
hosts and you will be rewarded with thousands of hosts.

David Dorward

Nowhere said:
What are good web editors to use?
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?HTML_editors

Or should I just use Frontpage?

Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
hands of a master.

If you really want to spend time mastering Frontpage (after mastering HTML
and CSS) then you might want to go with it. My personal preference would be
to avoid it like the plague.
What can Notepad do?

It can let you type text in. I suggest you avoid Notepad - it can't handle
UNIX line endings (at least it couldn't last time I used it), it has a
nasty habit of appending .txt to your filename (foo.html.txt) (ditto on the
last time bit), and it doesn't have basic things like syntax highlighting.
Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
domain ?

Most companies that offer webhosting also offer domain name services.
http://affordablehost.com/ is supposed to be good, I haven't used them
myself.

SpaceGirl

Nowhere said:
What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
Notepad do?

Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
domain ?

Thank you.

DreamWeaver MX 2004 is by far the best of all the editors out there, but
it's a fairly big package and takes a bit to get to grips with. It hand;es
all of the really complex stuff very well though - including ASP, JSP, C#
and other .NET lanuages, plus the usual suspects - HTML, XHTML, CSS and XML
+ really good Flash support, great layer handling and one of the most simple
CSS and style management things on the market. Also great at site
management, and built in FTP.

FrontPage fails on almost all of these items in one way or another, and
should be seriously avoided.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Nowhere said:
What are good web editors to use?

You want to edit the web? :)

Or should I just use Frontpage?

Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.

That's what frontpage is like, except it's worse. Frontpage is like
that, but then some bastard's taken out the climb-out ladders, and
raised the walls by 6 feet so you can't get out. Also, Frontpage has
some pharinas in there, along with 15 Great White Sharks, some deadly
jelly fish, and a very loud speaker-system that plays Barry Manilow
music which has been very badly mixed with Celine Dion.

What can Notepad do?

It let's you type.

Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

How: with an FTP program. I, personally, use WS_FTP. There's CuteFTP as
well, and a million others. Search for "FTP" at www.download.com.

Where: To web-space on the world-wide-web. Usually your ISP will have
some space available. If not, you could sign up to Geocities for free
space - www.geocities.com, although purchasing web-space will allow for
greater flexibility. www.oneandone.co.uk (European and American) will
allow you to do this. They are an excellent hosting company. I have used
them for 3 years with not a single problem.

How do you get your own domain ?

You have to buy one. 99% of web hosting companies will offer to sell you
a domain name. www.oneandone.co.uk can do it very cheaply for you. There
are a multitute of domain sellers out there.

Thank you.

no problem.

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

David said:
Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
hands of a master.

Not eveb MAster Yoda could create a good site using Frontpage.

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Neal

Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.

That's what frontpage is like, except it's worse. Frontpage is like
that, but then some bastard's taken out the climb-out ladders, and
raised the walls by 6 feet so you can't get out. Also, Frontpage has
some pharinas in there, along with 15 Great White Sharks, some deadly
jelly fish, and a very loud speaker-system that plays Barry Manilow
music which has been very badly mixed with Celine Dion.

Then there's my ex. It could be worse...
It let's you type.

How: with an FTP program. I, personally, use WS_FTP. There's CuteFTP as
well, and a million others. Search for "FTP" at www.download.com.

Crimson Editor - a very nice free text editor - has a built-in FTP.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Weyoun the Dancing Borg:
Not eveb MAster Yoda could create a good site using Frontpage.

Master Yoda might be able to create a good site in FrontPlague, but
only if he used the Source view exclusively. <g> Kinda like Notepad.

David Dorward

How: with an FTP program.

Hopefully not. Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

David said:
Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

Hopefully not. Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

well as it happens, the people I suggested, oneandone.co.uk, actually DO
use sftp :p

http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/server/root_server/security/1.html

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Beauregard said:
Master Yoda might be able to create a good site in FrontPlague, but only
if he used the Source view exclusively. <g> Kinda like Notepad.

then why spend $xxx on Frontpage when you can use notpad or any number
of free text editors, yes, even ones that colour-code the HTML for easy
editing and reading instead?

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Toby A Inkster

David said:
Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

Rsync+SSH is my fave.

David Dorward

Toby said:
Rsync+SSH is my fave.

Oh yes, its lovely. Site sans navigation and headings to online in three
easy steps.

1. perl prog/cms/perl/generateSite.pl

2. find prog/cms/working/target/ -name \*html -exec src/wdg/validate {} \;

3. rsync -v -r -e 'ssh -C' prog/cms/working/target/
dorward.me.uk:/path/to/site/

Nik Coughin

Weyoun said:
then why spend $xxx on Frontpage when you can use notpad or any number
of free text editors, yes, even ones that colour-code the HTML for
easy editing and reading instead?

I agree that it would be stupid to pay for Frontpage. However it's on most
PCs that have MS Office. I use it on other people's computers all the time
(solely in source view, never design -- yuck!), in order to avoid having to
download or install anything, just for the syntax highlighting, which
Notepad doesn't do. At work I use the Delphi IDE (which also does HTML
syntax highlighting), mainly because it has keyboard macroing, which I use
all the time.

Whitecrest

Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.

Your trying to turn brucie on aren't you?

Whitecrest

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Very cute, now can you stop?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Weyoun the Dancing Borg:
then why spend $xxx on Frontpage when you can use notpad or any number
of free text editors, yes, even ones that colour-code the HTML for easy
editing and reading instead?

Oh, you would never catch me spending any $xxx on FrontPlague. I like
Crimson Editor, as Neal mentioned. Though, since I have Visual Studio
for the day job, I normally use Visual Interdev for the web projects.
Yes, just the source editing parts. <g>

Nowhere

So basically HTML - Kit (YMMV) is the best free one. And is better than
Frontpage...Thanks.