web hosting limits: ways in ASP.NET to allow connection to remote database systems?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I recently signed up for shared web hosting with a commercial hosting
    service (GoDaddy.com) and was awed to discover that although a generous SQL
    Server database package is included, there is not an easy way to connect
    ASP.NET web applications to database servers running outside of the host's
    systems. Indeed, many ports are blocked: I think the only open ports are 80
    and 25.

    Surely there is some way around this that I could manage in programming
    and/or via infrastructure magic. I'm running SQL Server 2005 on both ends,
    and have total control over the server/db server on my end.

    Can someone suggest if there is a viable approach to somehow "wrap" database
    calls in a way that isn't totally slow and a total mess to work with? Does
    the .NET platform anticipate this kind of problem and have anything
    prebuilt?

    Thanks for any ideas. The best answer will probably be to have all of my
    apps and database stuff encapsulated on my host, but there's some testing
    that needs to happen between now and final deployment, and I'd prefer to
    have my database wired up for now.

    -KF
    Guest, Aug 5, 2007

  2. RE: web hosting limits: ways in ASP.NET to allow connection to remote

    I am afraid that the solution here is to dump godaddy.com and find another
    hoster. It didn't take me more than 10 minutes to dump them when I found out
    I could not even make an HTTPWebRequest from the site I deployed due to their
    ridiculous restrictions.

    For a comparable deal on pricing and features, without the stupid
    restrictions, you can try Gate.com or Crystaltech.com
    Peter
    --
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 5, 2007

  3. Re: web hosting limits: ways in ASP.NET to allow connection to remote

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    >I am afraid that the solution here is to dump godaddy.com and find another
    > hoster. It didn't take me more than 10 minutes to dump them when I found
    > out
    > I could not even make an HTTPWebRequest from the site I deployed due to
    > their
    > ridiculous restrictions.

    Absolutely! I've never known any developer with a good word to say about
    this ISP...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 5, 2007
  4. <> wrote in message

    > Surely there is some way around this

    Not so long as you continue to use GoDaddy...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Aug 5, 2007

    Guest Guest

    Re: web hosting limits: ways in ASP.NET to allow connection to remote

    Thanks again, guys. I didn't know about those, and yes, they matter quite a
    bit for our work.

    I will say a few good words about GoDaddy based on my experiences with them
    over the last year. GoDaddy has been a very reliable host, and their
    customer service is responsive. Their online tools are reasonably intuitive.
    I like their FAQ and their prices are excellent.

    That all said the shared hosting seems best for "dumb" deployments of static
    content. The restrictions make life very difficult for any kind of advanced
    deployment that involves your application communicating with other places.
    The inability to connect to SQL Server databases via Enterprise manager is
    not a show-stopper, but it makes life much, much harder than it should be.

    I would appreciate hearing other recommendations that folks might have for
    web hosts.

    Thanks,
    -KF

    Guest, Aug 5, 2007
  6. Re: web hosting limits: ways in ASP.NET to allow connection to remote

    http://www.hostinguk.net

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP