Web Service client configuration file

Mike Z

I have a web service using WSE2 SP2 hosted in IIS 6 that is currently called
by a Windows .Net Control hosted within IE.

This was done to insure we certain activities occurred on the client's pc,
and for the most part, works fine.

What I would like to know is:

- Does the hosted control have access to the ASP application's web.config
file?
- If not, where does WSE look (on the client) for a configuration file and
by what name?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Z

Thanks Dilip,

The control is a custom .Net Windows control inherited from
System.Windows.Forms.UserControl specifically for use in an ASP page,
instantiated via a jscript <Object> tag.

Because it executes entirely on the client's pc, it is not clear to me if
WSE (which is included in the control) is handling the resolution of the
web.config file, or is the control (and WSE) just going to the machine.config
file because it can't find a web.config file?

What is the recommended scenario? Use a web.config file and place it in the
Config folder, or just edit the machine.config file?

Thanks.

Mike Z

Thanks Dilip,

Because WSE2 is being used in the control, will it search for and find the
client's machine.config file?

Dilip Krishnan said:
Hello Mike,
Windows forms controls will not have access to the web.config. The Object
tag should have initialization parameters that you can pass teh object data
to initialize itself [http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.3.2]

HTH
Regards,
Dilip Krishnan