web service newbie dataset question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tim R., Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Tim R.

    Tim R. Guest

    Could someone please tell me whether the following is possible?
    I'm especially murky about step #5 :)

    I'd be very grateful for pointers to an online step-by-step
    article showing something similar, or to an excellent book dealing
    with javascript/ web services/ proxy methods/ ado.net datasets and
    how to avoid postbacks.

    1. user enters a string into textbox

    2. user clicks standard HTML button on form, launching javascript
    function.

    3. javascript function grabs string from textbox, builds query
    string with the textbox text, and invokes a web service, passing
    it the text string as a lookup value.

    4. web service searches a database, and then

    5. web service returns ado.net dataset to a proxy method
    running server-side, which places the dataset in a session
    variable and invokes the databind() method of a web-control on the
    form (e.g. ASP.NET grid or 3rd party multi-column combo) binding
    the control to the dataset

    Thanks!
    Tim

    Tim R., Jan 7, 2004