Web site Search Process question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rfr, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. rfr

    rfr Guest

    I am looking for a way to add a web-wide Search Process to my Community Web
    site.

    I design and maintain a Community website for Worthington, Minnesota that is
    hosted on spunkyworld.com servers ( wgtn.net)

    Presently I have been using the FREE services of atomz to provide a Search
    Process for JUST the Business Directory ( roughly200 to 250 documents). But,
    this FREE option has limitations on page count that do not allow it to be
    implemented on the whole web site ( over 500 documents)without substantial
    monthly charges.

    I am not a techy person and rely upon simple processes that are easy to
    implement and troubleshoot.

    Tho I do use FrontPage for design and authoring, and tho it does have a
    Search Process, it is not clear to me that it will be able to include
    subwebs and ignore those subwebs that are not to be indexed as part of
    wgtn.net. My questions to the Frontpage newsgroup on this issue have not
    brought forth any useful insights.

    There are folders/directories that I DO want indexed and some I DONT want
    indexed because they are not a public part of wgtn.net ( they are material
    for an firm, or an alumni group separate from wgtn.net)

    Therefore, if I want to expand the Search process on wgtn.net from JUST the
    Business directory to include the rest of the Community website and yet
    EXCLUDE certain folders/directories . . I need to look beyond Atomz and
    beyond FrontPage facilities.

    One possible option that I found is a CGI script provided by Boutell:
    http://www.boutell.com/search/. But, even there, I am not sure it will
    discriminate between folders that should be indexed and those that shouldnt
    be indexed.

    What do you suggest for a web site search process?
    rfr, Apr 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. rfr

    Ed Mullen Guest

    rfr wrote:
    > I am looking for a way to add a web-wide Search Process to my Community Web
    > site.
    >
    > I design and maintain a Community website for Worthington, Minnesota that is
    > hosted on spunkyworld.com servers ( wgtn.net)
    >
    > Presently I have been using the FREE services of atomz to provide a Search
    > Process for JUST the Business Directory ( roughly200 to 250 documents). But,
    > this FREE option has limitations on page count that do not allow it to be
    > implemented on the whole web site ( over 500 documents)without substantial
    > monthly charges.
    >
    > I am not a techy person and rely upon simple processes that are easy to
    > implement and troubleshoot.
    >
    > Tho I do use FrontPage for design and authoring, and tho it does have a
    > Search Process, it is not clear to me that it will be able to include
    > subwebs and ignore those subwebs that are not to be indexed as part of
    > wgtn.net. My questions to the Frontpage newsgroup on this issue have not
    > brought forth any useful insights.
    >
    > There are folders/directories that I DO want indexed and some I DONT want
    > indexed because they are not a public part of wgtn.net ( they are material
    > for an firm, or an alumni group separate from wgtn.net)
    >
    > Therefore, if I want to expand the Search process on wgtn.net from JUST the
    > Business directory to include the rest of the Community website and yet
    > EXCLUDE certain folders/directories . . I need to look beyond Atomz and
    > beyond FrontPage facilities.
    >
    > One possible option that I found is a CGI script provided by Boutell:
    > http://www.boutell.com/search/. But, even there, I am not sure it will
    > discriminate between folders that should be indexed and those that shouldnt
    > be indexed.
    >
    > What do you suggest for a web site search process?
    >
    >


    I use Google on my site. Most people are familiar with it and it's
    totally free. For info on preventing Google from indexing:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google prevent indexing&btnG=Google Search

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    Ed Mullen, Apr 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. rfr

    rfr Guest

    I dont want to totally remove some of these directories/folders from any
    Google search results.

    I am looking for a search process to be used EXCLUSIVELY from WITHIN
    wgtn.net, and not available on the world-wide-web.

    I do want to "focus" the search results that would be requested from WITHIN
    Worthington Community Internet (www.wgtn.net), to include only parts of
    Worthington Community Internet ( excluding certain folders that contain
    documents for local firms or community groups that do not include standard
    Worthington Community Internet headers or footers and would seem off target
    to visitors).
    Or, in another case, be able to give a visitor the ability to search ONLY
    the Business Directory (www.wgtn.net/Business)

    Atomz was providing this on site search facility for JUST the Business
    directory pages. But, is too costly a process to be used for the total web
    site.

    I didnt see anything on the Google web site that looked like they provided
    this type of service. It looks like these are methods to limit access to a
    web site from the world-wide-web ( outside the web site), not from within a
    web site.

    Did I miss something?

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > rfr wrote:
    >> I am looking for a way to add a web-wide Search Process to my Community
    >> Web site.
    >>
    >> I design and maintain a Community website for Worthington, Minnesota that
    >> is hosted on spunkyworld.com servers ( wgtn.net)
    >>
    >> Presently I have been using the FREE services of atomz to provide a
    >> Search Process for JUST the Business Directory ( roughly200 to 250
    >> documents). But, this FREE option has limitations on page count that do
    >> not allow it to be implemented on the whole web site ( over 500
    >> documents)without substantial monthly charges.
    >>
    >> I am not a techy person and rely upon simple processes that are easy to
    >> implement and troubleshoot.
    >>
    >> Tho I do use FrontPage for design and authoring, and tho it does have a
    >> Search Process, it is not clear to me that it will be able to include
    >> subwebs and ignore those subwebs that are not to be indexed as part of
    >> wgtn.net. My questions to the Frontpage newsgroup on this issue have not
    >> brought forth any useful insights.
    >>
    >> There are folders/directories that I DO want indexed and some I DONT want
    >> indexed because they are not a public part of wgtn.net ( they are
    >> material for an firm, or an alumni group separate from wgtn.net)
    >>
    >> Therefore, if I want to expand the Search process on wgtn.net from JUST
    >> the Business directory to include the rest of the Community website and
    >> yet EXCLUDE certain folders/directories . . I need to look beyond Atomz
    >> and beyond FrontPage facilities.
    >>
    >> One possible option that I found is a CGI script provided by Boutell:
    >> http://www.boutell.com/search/. But, even there, I am not sure it will
    >> discriminate between folders that should be indexed and those that
    >> shouldnt be indexed.
    >>
    >> What do you suggest for a web site search process?
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I use Google on my site. Most people are familiar with it and it's
    > totally free. For info on preventing Google from indexing:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google prevent indexing&btnG=Google Search
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    > http://abington.edmullen.net
    > If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    rfr, Apr 20, 2006
    #3
  4. rfr

    Ken Sims Guest

    Hi -

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:04:15 -0500, "rfr" <> wrote:

    >Atomz was providing this on site search facility for JUST the Business
    >directory pages. But, is too costly a process to be used for the total web
    >site.


    If you have a lot of pages but they are small, you might be able to
    use FreeFind's free search service. The free service has no page
    limit, but is limited to 32MB.

    See http://www.freefind.com/plans.html

    Disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated with FreeFind in any way other than
    being a relatively satisfied user of their free search service.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.kensims.net/
    Ken Sims, Apr 21, 2006
    #4
  5. rfr

    rfr Guest

    I finally found some firms, like FreeFind and am thinking over what they
    offer and require.

    It is hard to figure out whether the 32 MB limit is a small one or a liberal
    one. I have just over 500 documents, but it is hard ot add up JUST the html
    file sizes becasue they are intermixed with image files, etc.

    I think the 32 MB limit is for the file used to store the index of keywords,
    rather than the sum of all the sizes of all the documents searched ( which
    would include image sizes etc).

    How many documents are in your web site and how close are you to the FreFind
    32 MB limit?

    "Ken Sims" <ng3122@kensims.#nospam#.net.invalid> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi -
    >
    > On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:04:15 -0500, "rfr" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Atomz was providing this on site search facility for JUST the Business
    >>directory pages. But, is too costly a process to be used for the total web
    >>site.

    >
    > If you have a lot of pages but they are small, you might be able to
    > use FreeFind's free search service. The free service has no page
    > limit, but is limited to 32MB.
    >
    > See http://www.freefind.com/plans.html
    >
    > Disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated with FreeFind in any way other than
    > being a relatively satisfied user of their free search service.
    >
    > --
    > Ken
    > http://www.kensims.net/
    rfr, Apr 21, 2006
    #5
  6. rfr

    Ken Sims Guest

    Hi -

    ** Please don't top post. **

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:41:02 -0500, "rfr" <> wrote:

    >How many documents are in your web site and how close are you to the FreFind
    >32 MB limit?


    When I redid my primary site and moved it to a different domain, I
    changed my FreeFind definition so now only one small section is
    indexed.

    Before that, I had around 300 pages indexed, of which 200+ averaged
    around 25-30KB, so the whole site would have been less than 10MB of
    indexed material.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.kensims.net/
    Ken Sims, Apr 21, 2006
    #6
  7. rfr

    rfr Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    It seems like my 500 to 600 pages should be well witin their 32 MB limit
    then.

    It is good to know that!

    Thanks again.

    "Ken Sims" <ng3122@kensims.#nospam#.net.invalid> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi -
    >
    > ** Please don't top post. **
    >
    > On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:41:02 -0500, "rfr" <> wrote:
    >
    >>How many documents are in your web site and how close are you to the
    >>FreFind
    >>32 MB limit?

    >
    > When I redid my primary site and moved it to a different domain, I
    > changed my FreeFind definition so now only one small section is
    > indexed.
    >
    > Before that, I had around 300 pages indexed, of which 200+ averaged
    > around 25-30KB, so the whole site would have been less than 10MB of
    > indexed material.
    >
    > --
    > Ken
    > http://www.kensims.net/
    rfr, Apr 22, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mike kim
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    498
    clintonG
    Aug 20, 2003
  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGFrc2htaSBOYXJheWFuYW4uUg==?=

    Google search result like site search!! How?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFrc2htaSBOYXJheWFuYW4uUg==?=, May 5, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    642
    Lucas Tam
    May 6, 2005
  3. igthibau
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    329
    Moonlit
    Oct 27, 2003
  4. David De
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    432
    David De
    Apr 25, 2008
  5. Abby Lee
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    366
    Abby Lee
    Aug 2, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page