WebExplorer as Perl-CGI

Matthias Klein

Does anybody know a freeware/opensource Perl-CGI that acts like a regular
file-explorer?

The internet project I am working on will be hosted on a regular
shared-hosting environment based on Red Hat Linux 7.3 (no root access, but
own perl-cgi permitted).

It requires some sort of web-based file-explorer so that users can upload
and download even large files: the user browses to a certain URL, types in
his passwd and can then browse in the existing files on the remote host,
download them and upload new ones. That is what I am hoping for...

Does anybody know a program like this?

Tnx

Matthias

Gregory Toomey

Matthias said:
Does anybody know a freeware/opensource Perl-CGI that acts like a regular
file-explorer?

The internet project I am working on will be hosted on a regular
shared-hosting environment based on Red Hat Linux 7.3 (no root access, but
own perl-cgi permitted).

It requires some sort of web-based file-explorer so that users can upload
and download even large files: the user browses to a certain URL, types in
his passwd and can then browse in the existing files on the remote host,
download them and upload new ones. That is what I am hoping for...

Does anybody know a program like this?

Tnx

Matthias

No need for Perl - the basic functionality is built into Apache. If you put

Option +Indexes

into .htaccess in a directory, Apache will allow you to "browse" the
directory & subdirectoires without the need for cgi.

See: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#options
" If a URL which maps to a directory is requested, and the there is no
DirectoryIndex (e.g., index.html) in that directory, then the server will
return a formatted listing of the directory."

gtoomey

Matthias Klein

Yes, that works for the download-part of my problem.
But I also want users to be able to upload (large) files and I assume that
Apache is not able to perform that task as well, right?
And since my provider permits Perl-CGIs, I was hoping to find someone who
knows such a program.
Thanks

Matthias

James Willmore

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:22:24 +0200, Matthias Klein wrote:

[DON'T TOP POST - it's rude]
Yes, that works for the download-part of my problem.
But I also want users to be able to upload (large) files and I assume that
Apache is not able to perform that task as well, right?
And since my provider permits Perl-CGIs, I was hoping to find someone who
knows such a program.

Visit http://freshmeat.net/ for open source software.

HTH

Jim

Joe Smith

Matthias said:
It requires some sort of web-based file-explorer so that users can upload
and download even large files: the user browses to a certain URL, types in
his passwd and can then browse in the existing files on the remote host,
download them and upload new ones. That is what I am hoping for...

Does anybody know a program like this?

Yes, it's called Internet Explorer.

Fire up IE6, go to any FTP site, then change IE's settings:
Tools -> Internet Options -> Browsing -> Enable folder view for FTP sites.
Drag and drop, click to explore, etc.

Just about any FTP client with a graphical interface will do this;
do you really have to use HTTP?
-Joe