Webpy vs Django?

circularfunc

i have been trying to get Django running for 2 days now and it drives
me crazy.

i played with webpy a bit and it is easy to get going with. but django
seems like once you have it all up and running it will be easier.
just that the barrier of entry is much higher.

is django worth it? seems so ridicoulusly hard to get it running. i
run into trouble every time i advance a little, firstin the
installationa nd now in the tutorial(creating polls).

what do you think of webpy for big projects that need performance?

Michele Simionato

what do you think of webpy for big projects that need performance?

A better question would be: do you need features which are in Django
and not in webpy? If webpy suits your needs and you are happy with it,
keep it. OTOH, if you need more than webpy, consider a bigger
framework
(there are many of them, Django is not your only choice). I would
expect
the performance of all Python framework to be roughly the same, the
difference is in the learning curve and in the features, not in the
performance.

Michele Simionato

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
i have been trying to get Django running for 2 days now and it drives
me crazy.

i played with webpy a bit and it is easy to get going with. but django
seems like once you have it all up and running it will be easier.
just that the barrier of entry is much higher.

Django is indeed a bit more complex than webpy.

is django worth it? seems so ridicoulusly hard to get it running. i
run into trouble every time i advance a little, firstin the
installationa nd now in the tutorial(creating polls).

I'm a bit surprised by your report of having problems running Django.
Deploying it on production can be a pain sometimes (well... I don't like
sys-admin stuff anyway...), but running Django on the builtin test
server with SQLite or MySQL is almost OOTB.
what do you think of webpy for big projects that need performance?

Nothing. Never tried it.

squishywaffle

i played with webpy a bit and it is easy to get going with. but django
seems like once you have it all up and running it will be easier.
just that the barrier of entry is much higher.

I can't comment on webpy, but yes, Django has a bit more of a learning
curve in some areas, less in others.
is django worth it? seems so ridicoulusly hard to get it running. i
run into trouble every time i advance a little, firstin the
installationa nd now in the tutorial(creating polls).

For a big project, I'd say it's very worth it. The code tends to read
easy, the people are friendly, the documentation is good for an open
source project, and it's on an upward adoption trend.
what do you think of webpy for big projects that need performance?

No clue. Django seems to be tried-and-true in terms of scalability and
performance, I haven't had to look further.