WebService Hangs Intermittently

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Glenn, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Hi

    Just a little background...

    I've just upgraded a web service from .NET 1.0 to 2.0 and moved it from a
    W2K to a W2003 server. The web service generates life assurance quotes. The
    submission is an XML document and we allow anonymous access. The
    application logs every XML request and response.

    The business system (EA Server/Powerbuilder/J2EE) which makes calls to the
    web service works fine with it. However, the regression testing application
    which utilises the XML logs from the requests and responses, written in
    ..NET, works for the first few tests and then simply hangs which results in a
    timeout. Sometimes it manages just one test, other times 6 or 7. Yet the
    first few times a ran it to check everything was working, it managed to do
    all 42 tests. I've checked to see what the worker process on the host
    servers doing, which is bugger all, and w3c log doesn't indicate any
    internal server error. The HTTPError log did indicate the DefaultPool had
    hung, but the timestamps don't match up.

    I know that the test application can talk to the web service, I know the
    business system can talk to the web service, what I don't understand is why
    IIS 6 hangs sometimes and not others.

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    Glenn