WebService Hangs Intermittently

Glenn

Hi

Just a little background...

I've just upgraded a web service from .NET 1.0 to 2.0 and moved it from a
W2K to a W2003 server. The web service generates life assurance quotes. The
submission is an XML document and we allow anonymous access. The
application logs every XML request and response.

The business system (EA Server/Powerbuilder/J2EE) which makes calls to the
web service works fine with it. However, the regression testing application
which utilises the XML logs from the requests and responses, written in
..NET, works for the first few tests and then simply hangs which results in a
timeout. Sometimes it manages just one test, other times 6 or 7. Yet the
first few times a ran it to check everything was working, it managed to do
all 42 tests. I've checked to see what the worker process on the host
servers doing, which is bugger all, and w3c log doesn't indicate any
internal server error. The HTTPError log did indicate the DefaultPool had
hung, but the timestamps don't match up.

I know that the test application can talk to the web service, I know the
business system can talk to the web service, what I don't understand is why
IIS 6 hangs sometimes and not others.

Any ideas?

TIA

Glenn