Webservices and servicedcomponents?

Mats-Erik Grundh

Webservices and servicedcomponents?

I have developed a application with a webservice and a serviced component
that updates the database. When i run my webservice in Visual Studio 2003 i
receive an exception, System.EnterpriseServices.RegistrationException:
Failed to register assembly.

Is it possible to configure the permission to allow registration of Serviced
Components from within Visual Studio 2003?

Thanks in advance!

Mats-Erik Grundh

When i run the application within Visual Studio 2003 without the
web-service:

A "Windows Form" that calls a "Serviced Component". It all selfregister in
com+ without any problems.

Mats-Erik Grundh

I also think its a bad idea tha "web user" dynamically register com+ apps.
I dont use lazy registration in the production enviromnet, i use a setup
program to register serviced components.

What you are saying is that you first have to this step everytime you open
the Visual Studio 2003:

1) Build all your serviced components.
2) manually register regsvs on each assmebly.
3) Ready to rumble with your Webservices

Regards

Mats-Erik

Christian Weyer said:
This is clearly a security restriction - and this is fine! Imagine every
"web user" could just step in and dynamically register any COM+/ES app ...
Well, dynamic or lazy registration of ES apps is only allowed by users of
the Administrators group.
You should not use lazy reg. in production coide, please be sure to leverage
regsvs.exe.

* It is bad practice to let the ASPNET user dyamically register an ES app
(e.g. when you add it to the Admin group) !!!*

Cheers,
--
Christian Weyer
[Microsoft Regional Director, Germany]

** XML Web Services: http://www.xmlwebservices.cc/
** Weblog: http://weblogs.asp.net/cweyer/

Mats-Erik Grundh said:
Webservices and servicedcomponents?

I have developed a application with a webservice and a serviced component
that updates the database. When i run my webservice in Visual Studio
2003
receive an exception, System.EnterpriseServices.RegistrationException:
Failed to register assembly.

Is it possible to configure the permission to allow registration of Serviced
Components from within Visual Studio 2003?

Thanks in advance!

Mats-Erik Grundh

Do You have an example of how that project/commandfile can look like?
How do you catch the post-build event?

Regards,

Mats-Erik Grundh

Christian Weyer said:
I always have a post-build event batch file in my ES projects. They do all
the gacutil and regsvcs stuff for me - this is great.

Cheers,