Weird stack trace

Vishal

Hello,

I have uploaded my website from VS to my server and
unfortunaly there is an error when I visit the website.
However the stack trace of the error still points to my
local directory. It says something like this:

NNTP.readpost.BindData() in E:\NNTP\default.aspx.vb:44
NNTP.readpost.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
E:\NNTP\default.aspx.vb:34

Why is this still pointing to my local path?

William F. Robertson, Jr.

Did you build your soltuion in debug mode before releasing your site? Did
you include the .pdb file when you deployed?

Don't.

bill

Dan Bass

This is because you compiled the code from your local drive. If you
distribute your website, you no longer need the vb files, because they're
contained within the DLL for the site... It doesn't reference into this DLL
because this would be useless to the developer.

Vishal

Yes, I used debug mode. I selected "copy only required
files to run the application". I dunno if it has deployed
the pdf file or not. What I am supposed to do?

Vishal

Well, if I dont need the files why doesnt VS.NET copy
these files to my sevrer? I seelcted the option to "copy
only the required files to run the application". What I am
supposed to do?

Dan Bass

where did you do this?
how are you distributing the web site?

If you create a web setup probject, there's the option to include, the
source, but you don't need it.

William F. Robertson, Jr.

When the dll is built, it keeps record in the .dll of the file locations
used to create the dll. If you do not want to see this, you will need to
turn off custom errors tag in the web.config file. It should be defaulted
RemoteOnly which means you only see the stack trace when on the machine
itself.

The pdb file has all the debugging symbols. It is showing you actual source
code, or just the stack trace where the exception occurred.

You deployed it correctly, but if you are moving to your production server
with your code, you should switch over to Release mode before building your
solution and change the compiliation tag in your web.config. The Release
dll code will run slightly faster than your debug mode code.

bill