    Servlet/JSP/EJB or swing or ???. I am also thinking to take another
    Java cert. So please suggest the area that can help me to get job.

    Thank You.
    Anks, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Anks

    Jacob Guest

    Anks wrote:

    > Last week I cleared SCJP 1.4 cert. But apart from that I know nothing
    > abt Java (i.e. J2EE/ swing etc). I am a fresher and would like to have
    > knowledge before going for a job hunt. I am having abt 3-4 months in
    > my hands for studies. I am confused as what to do next. Should I learn
    > Servlet/JSP/EJB or swing or ???. I am also thinking to take another
    > Java cert. So please suggest the area that can help me to get job.

    Mathematics
    Jacob, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Anks

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > hi,
    >
    > Last week I cleared SCJP 1.4 cert. But apart from that I know nothing
    > abt Java (i.e. J2EE/ swing etc). I am a fresher and would like to have
    > knowledge before going for a job hunt. I am having abt 3-4 months in
    > my hands for studies. I am confused as what to do next. Should I learn
    > Servlet/JSP/EJB or swing or ???. I am also thinking to take another
    > Java cert. So please suggest the area that can help me to get job.
    >
    > Thank You.

    Look at the job postings for your area.
    See some you might like?
    Learn whatever they all ask for. ;)

    ~kaeli~
    The definition of a will?... (It's a dead giveaway.)
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
    kaeli, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Anks

    kevin Guest

    kaeli <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > enlightened us with...
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > Last week I cleared SCJP 1.4 cert. But apart from that I know nothing
    > > abt Java (i.e. J2EE/ swing etc). I am a fresher and would like to have
    > > knowledge before going for a job hunt. I am having abt 3-4 months in
    > > my hands for studies. I am confused as what to do next. Should I learn
    > > Servlet/JSP/EJB or swing or ???. I am also thinking to take another
    > > Java cert. So please suggest the area that can help me to get job.
    > >
    > > Thank You.
    > >

    > Look at the job postings for your area.
    > See some you might like?
    > Learn whatever they all ask for. ;)

    learn whatever they ask for is good advice, but be warned, that many
    employers want experience that you will not have if you are new. You
    will need to find an employer that will accept your lack of practical
    experience and this might be the *big* problem for you. I would look
    for jobs advertised as suiting a graduate, or a starter first, then
    look for what they want in addition, and learn that. Some employers
    are willing to let you "cross train". ie if you have 2 yrs access vba
    or COBOL, then they want you *bad* as they are moving Access or COBOL
    systems to java ( get the idea? ). You seem keen, and eager to learn.
    An employer reading this would be impressed, so put that forward. The
    ability to learn fast can compensate for a lack of direct experience.
    Good luck.

    kevin, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Anks

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Anks" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > Last week I cleared SCJP 1.4 cert. But apart from that I know nothing
    > abt Java (i.e. J2EE/ swing etc). I am a fresher and would like to have
    > knowledge before going for a job hunt. I am having abt 3-4 months in
    > my hands for studies. I am confused as what to do next. Should I learn
    > Servlet/JSP/EJB or swing or ???. I am also thinking to take another
    > Java cert. So please suggest the area that can help me to get job.
    >
    > Thank You.

    Learning specific skills is great, but personally, I think
    it's even more important to learn general computer science.
    Too many young programmers (and, unfortunately, too
    many old ones too) are proficient at specific tools
    but don't really understand how a computer works.

    Studying a book on algorithms and data structures is
    fundamental. Other useful subjects are computer
    organization, operating systems, compilers, networking,
    and data base management systems.

    Some programmers think, Why do I need to study that
    stuff? I'm not going to design a computer, OS, compiler,
    or DBMS, and the algorithms and data structures I'll use
    are all in the Java API.

    But deeper understanding informs all of your programming,
    makes all of it better, and gives you a far better
    understanding of how to solve difficult problems. It
    also makes it easier to talk intelligently to an employer.

    That's my two cents anyway.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Oct 1, 2004
  6. Anks

    Dave Glasser Guest

    (Anks) wrote on 1 Oct 2004 02:54:47 -0700 in
    comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >hi,
    >
    >Last week I cleared SCJP 1.4 cert. But apart from that I know nothing
    >abt Java (i.e. J2EE/ swing etc). I am a fresher and would like to have
    >knowledge before going for a job hunt. I am having abt 3-4 months in
    >my hands for studies. I am confused as what to do next. Should I learn
    >Servlet/JSP/EJB or swing or ???. I am also thinking to take another
    >Java cert. So please suggest the area that can help me to get job.

    My sense of the Java job market (in the eastern US) is that
    Servlets/JSP is still one of the most common requirements, as it has
    been for a few years. EJB demand has been slacking off, although
    learning the basics would not be a waste of your time, and Struts is
    starting to appear more and more frequently in job advertisements.

    I also think that the SCJP cert was a good move, given your lack of
    professional experience. But I think one of the best things you could
    do to give yourself a competitive edge in the job market would be to
    write some non-trivial, production quality code that you could show
    prospective employers. Here's a list of project ideas:

    http://mindprod.com/projects/projects.html

    I don't know if any of those ideas are for web-based projects,
    however, and I think your time would be better invested in a web-based
    project. Think of something that involves Servlets, JSPs and and a
    relational database (which you might use EJB to access) and write it,
    improve it, and perhaps release it as an open source project. Maybe a
    blog server, or something along those lines. This project:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/itracker

    was done by a guy for the purpose of learning J2EE technologies, and
    he has a decent-sized user base now.

    --
    Check out QueryForm, a free, open source, Java/Swing-based
    front end for relational databases.

    http://qform.sourceforge.net

    If you're a musician, check out RPitch Relative Pitch
    Ear Training Software.

    http://rpitch.sourceforge.net
    Dave Glasser, Oct 2, 2004
  7. Anks

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Anks" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > Last week I cleared SCJP 1.4 cert. But apart from that I know nothing
    > abt Java (i.e. J2EE/ swing etc). I am a fresher and would like to have
    > knowledge before going for a job hunt. I am having abt 3-4 months in
    > my hands for studies. I am confused as what to do next. Should I learn
    > Servlet/JSP/EJB or swing or ???. I am also thinking to take another
    > Java cert. So please suggest the area that can help me to get job.
    >
    > Thank You.

    Servlets and JSP is good, AND
    A few courses in Accounting won't hurt
    when Writing code for business processes it helps a lot to understand the
    process

    ---
    Hal Rosser, Oct 2, 2004
  8. kaeli coughed up:

    ....[thwack]...

    > --
    > ~kaeli~
    > The definition of a will?... (It's a dead giveaway.)
    > http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart

    I agree with one of the images in your web site. Don't declaw your cat.
    And don't believe that "it can still climb trees" with 2.

    --
    "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity!
    Two weeks from everywhere!"
    Thomas G. Marshall, Oct 2, 2004
  9. Anks

    Anks Guest

    Thank you very much friends.

    I have done Masters in Computer Application so I have knowledge of all
    the fundamentals (DBMS/Compiler/Data Structures/OS/etc..etc...). In
    fact I have topped my country in Data Structures through C paper.

    I know its very difficult to get a job without experience but still I
    think some small s/w firm might take me (Everybody has to start from
    low level).

    I have also done C# (although not very extensively) and created a s/w
    (Email address Extractor from web and local files) which I have
    submitted to be included in an IT magazine. If they include my s/w in
    their CD/DVD I guess it will also help me to get initial job.

    I guess creating a web based project is very good idea. A few more
    question, please help me on them too. I shall be pleased:

    1. Can you guys suggest me some topic on those web based project. I am
    a beginner in this so at this level I cannot think abt it, as I don't
    know Servlet/JSP.

    2. Will it be worth to take SCWCD cert along with making the project,
    because I have to learn Servlet/JSP from scratch.

    A big thanks to all of you.
    Anks, Oct 2, 2004
  10. Andrew Thompson, Oct 2, 2004
  11. Anks

    Anks Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:<y2jsnm2httbo$>...
    > On 2 Oct 2004 02:33:22 -0700, Anks wrote:
    >
    > > I have also .. created a s/w
    > > (Email address Extractor from web and local files)

    > Have you considered using your powers, ..for *good*?

    Mr. Andrew Thompson it was a hobby project not something for
    commercial use. BTW you didn't guide me either by replying properly to
    what I had asked. Just by pulling someone's leg is by no means good.
    Anks, Oct 2, 2004
  12. On 2 Oct 2004 12:14:57 -0700, Anks wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On 2 Oct 2004 02:33:22 -0700, Anks wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have also .. created a s/w
    >>> (Email address Extractor from web and local files)

    >> Have you considered using your powers, ..for *good*?

    > Mr. Andrew Thompson it was a hobby project not something for
    > commercial use.

    M. Anks, whether it is for commercial use is an inconsequential detail,
    the important thing is whether you intend to distribute or allow it to
    be used *at* *all*. (And ..if not, it is hardly suitable as a showcase
    of your programming talents)

    If your hobby was genetically engineering ebola variants, or playing
    with thermonuclear weapons, it is little comfort after the genie escapes
    that you were not 'doing it for profit'.

    >..BTW you didn't guide me either by replying properly to
    > what I had asked.

    BTW - You have a well developed sense of self-entitlement.

    That might go well when you are paying for consultancy, but this is
    neither a consultancy nor a 'help-desk', it is a discussion forum.

    >..Just by pulling someone's leg is by no means good.

    Ahhh grass-hopper.
    "Evil will indeed triumph if good men remain silent"

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 2, 2004
  13. Anks

    Anks Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:<or5kguguvduv$>...
    > On 2 Oct 2004 12:14:57 -0700, Anks wrote:
    > > Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:...
    > >> On 2 Oct 2004 02:33:22 -0700, Anks wrote:
    > >>

    > >..BTW you didn't guide me either by replying properly to
    > > what I had asked.

    > BTW - You have a well developed sense of self-entitlement.
    >
    > That might go well when you are paying for consultancy, but this is
    > neither a consultancy nor a 'help-desk', it is a discussion forum.

    Ah, I guess those who tried to help me are either dumb or insane. Look
    guys, we have an intellectual *at last* who thinks that discussion
    forums are not meant to help/guide anyone.
    Anks, Oct 3, 2004
  14. Anks

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Anks wrote:

    > Ah, I guess those who tried to help me are either dumb or insane. Look
    > guys, we have an intellectual *at last* who thinks that discussion
    > forums are not meant to help/guide anyone.

    There are at least three reasons for replying to a post.

    1) that there is something interesting in it that I (or whoever) want to
    discuss (whether OT for this newsgroup or not -- e.q. humour is not entirely
    missing).

    2) that there is something interesting about the topic that I want to discuss,
    and which -- as it happens -- will give you a solution or lead to a problem you
    may have.

    3) I wish to try to help a fellow programmer.

    The first two are common. The third is common enough too, but could be
    considered off-topic for this group (by a purist, anyway -- and purists are no
    rarer around here than humour). That's what Andrew was trying to tell you:
    this is /not/ a help-desk.

    You seem to be making the mistake of thinking that only (3) applies. (And
    further, that (3) applies even when the poster assumes an attitude of priggish
    self-satisfaction. I don't know whether that's really what you are like, but
    that's the way your requests have sounded to me -- perhaps it's just a
    culture/language difference.)

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Oct 3, 2004