What's the best python web-developer's editor

andy

Anybody like to comment on which editor they use for python web app
development - for both discrete and mixed python and html code, and why?

I'm comfortable with IDLE (used it for years) but of course it lacks ftp
or webDAV abilities, obviously because it's not intended for that type
of use.

I've had a look at Screem - and that seems to do python syntax
highlighting, but it dosn't seem to be python syntax aware (unless
there's a hidden option somewhere). Although I can live without auto
indent, I'd rather not...

I'm sure emacs, xemacs, vi, elvis and so on can do the same, but I have
no experience with them for heavy python or html coding, nor the time
to trip off down a blind-alley to find out! I know Enough Vi To Get
By(tm) but it's by no means my favourite editor. Emacs is a complete
mystery to me.

I guess I *could* use IDLE and Screem together, but that's a clunky
solution!

all opinions greatfully received,
-andyj

Paul Rubin

andy said:
Anybody like to comment on which editor they use for python web app
development -

Emacs

For both discrete and mixed python and html code, and why?

There's no reason to use anything else.

Franz Steinhaeusler

Anybody like to comment on which editor they use for python web app
development - for both discrete and mixed python and html code, and why?

I use DrPython, because:

It is open source, written in python and wxPython and use wx.stc.
It is extensible via plugins and script, you have a python prompt, free
shortcut assignments, ...
It is developed heavily.
I'm a member of the project :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/drpython/
I'm comfortable with IDLE (used it for years) but of course it lacks ftp
or webDAV abilities, obviously because it's not intended for that type
of use.

What do you mean with ftp abilities exactly?
Saving and opening files directly over ftp?

regards,