What's the best python web-developer's editor

Discussion in 'Python' started by andy, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. andy

    andy Guest

    Anybody like to comment on which editor they use for python web app
    development - for both discrete and mixed python and html code, and why?

    I'm comfortable with IDLE (used it for years) but of course it lacks ftp
    or webDAV abilities, obviously because it's not intended for that type
    of use.

    I've had a look at Screem - and that seems to do python syntax
    highlighting, but it dosn't seem to be python syntax aware (unless
    there's a hidden option somewhere). Although I can live without auto
    indent, I'd rather not...

    I'm sure emacs, xemacs, vi, elvis and so on can do the same, but I have
    no experience with them for heavy python or html coding, nor the time
    to trip off down a blind-alley to find out! I know Enough Vi To Get
    By(tm) but it's by no means my favourite editor. Emacs is a complete
    mystery to me.

    I guess I *could* use IDLE and Screem together, but that's a clunky
    solution!

    all opinions greatfully received,
    -andyj
    andy, Jan 20, 2005

  2. andy

    Paul Rubin Guest

    andy <> writes:
    > Anybody like to comment on which editor they use for python web app
    > development -

    Emacs

    For both discrete and mixed python and html code, and why?

    There's no reason to use anything else.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 21, 2005

  3. On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:47:53 +0000, andy <> wrote:

    >Anybody like to comment on which editor they use for python web app
    >development - for both discrete and mixed python and html code, and why?

    I use DrPython, because:

    It is open source, written in python and wxPython and use wx.stc.
    It is extensible via plugins and script, you have a python prompt, free
    shortcut assignments, ...
    It is developed heavily.
    I'm a member of the project :)

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/drpython/

    >I'm comfortable with IDLE (used it for years) but of course it lacks ftp
    >or webDAV abilities, obviously because it's not intended for that type
    >of use.

    What do you mean with ftp abilities exactly?
    Saving and opening files directly over ftp?

    >[...]

    regards,
    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler