  1. Towner

    Towner Guest

    Whats the best way to send a HTML email in Outlook?

    Towner, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Towner

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Towner wrote:
    > Whats the best way to send a HTML email in Outlook?

    Why bother with Outlook?. Just get a free Yahoo mail account. It is
    very easy to send an html attachment with it. How many people will open
    such an attachment is uncertain. I usually will not, unless I am
    expecting it and it comes from a very reliable source and it is first
    virus scanned before it is downloaded. If you use Yahoo mail or pop
    other mail there, it will automatically virus scan all attachments
    before it will open them. Likely other mail services can do much the
    same.

    cwdjrxyz, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Towner

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Towner wrote:
    > Whats the best way to send a HTML email in Outlook?

    Create a webpage and place the URL as a link in the e-mail. More guarantee
    that your information is shown as intended and less irritation on the side
    of the receiver.

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Towner

    dorayme Guest

    In article <454eec05$0$77487$>,
    "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote:

    > Towner wrote:
    > > Whats the best way to send a HTML email in Outlook?

    > Create a webpage and place the URL as a link in the e-mail. More guarantee
    > that your information is shown as intended and less irritation on the side
    > of the receiver.

    Yes, for many purposes this is very sound advice.

    I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    want?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Towner

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > "Nico Schuyt" wrote:
    >> Towner wrote:

    >>> Whats the best way to send a HTML email in Outlook?

    >> Create a webpage and place the URL as a link in the e-mail. More
    >> guarantee that your information is shown as intended and less
    >> irritation on the side of the receiver.

    > Yes, for many purposes this is very sound advice.

    > I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    > with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    > want?

    I agree on that. I send HTML-mailings every month :)
    Of course only to subscribers and with a proper text-equivalent and embedded
    images to avoid the warnings in Outlook.
    Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email :)

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 6, 2006
  6. Scripsit Nico Schuyt:

    >> I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    >> with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    >> want?

    > I agree on that. I send HTML-mailings every month :)

    Surely customers just love logos and banners, especially when using, say, a
    slow connection like GSM. They can't wait to see the fancy images and kewl
    formatting, which helps them to ignore the (excuse for) content.

    > Of course only to subscribers and with a proper text-equivalent and
    > embedded images to avoid the warnings in Outlook.

    If you had a case where it would be reasonable to send HTML email, then you
    should not include any "proper text-equivalent", since a user would get HTML
    email if and only if he explicitly asked for it when, say, subscribing to a
    newsletter.

    > Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email
    > :)

    Irony has become impossible, so I won't even ask whether you wrote
    ironically or not. The emoticon ":)" currently means just "I'm laughing at
    my own joke, or at something, or someone".

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 6, 2006
  7. Towner

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Nico Schuyt:

    >>> I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    >>> with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    >>> want?

    >> I agree on that. I send HTML-mailings every month :)

    > Surely customers just love logos and banners, especially when using,
    > say, a slow connection like GSM. They can't wait to see the fancy
    > images and kewl formatting, which helps them to ignore the (excuse
    > for) content.

    >> Of course only to subscribers and with a proper text-equivalent and
    >> embedded images to avoid the warnings in Outlook.

    > If you had a case where it would be reasonable to send HTML email,
    > then you should not include any "proper text-equivalent", since a
    > user would get HTML email if and only if he explicitly asked for it
    > when, say, subscribing to a newsletter.

    The user is not informed that the newsletter will be in HTML. With a
    text-equivalent there's no problem I think for those who don't like
    HTML-mail (except for a tiny little bit of bandwidth)

    >> Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email
    >> :)

    > Irony has become impossible,

    No irony from my side. Maybe amused.

    > so I won't even ask whether you wrote
    > ironically or not. The emoticon ":)" currently means just "I'm
    > laughing at my own joke, or at something, or someone".

    At least two of the options are appropriate. Smiling however, not laughing.

    The smiley stands for: Almost everyone in this groups advices against
    HTML-mail (that's why my suggestion to the OP was to use a link to a web
    page). In real life the disadvantages seem to be less dramatic. (But I feel
    guilty every time I press the send button :)

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 6, 2006
  8. Towner

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:

    > >> Create a webpage and place the URL as a link in the e-mail. More
    > >> guarantee that your information is shown as intended and less
    > >> irritation on the side of the receiver.

    > > Yes, for many purposes this is very sound advice.

    > > I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    > > with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    > > want?

    > I agree on that. I send HTML-mailings every month :)
    > Of course only to subscribers and with a proper text-equivalent and embedded
    > images to avoid the warnings in Outlook.
    > Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email :)

    I receive the New York Times free email news edition everyday. You
    first have to sign up to receive this. Then you have to select for a
    text or html version. I selected the html version, because of some of
    the pictures that add to some news stories, and I have an about 6 Mbps
    download connection. Some on dialup would want the text version, as
    this is a large download even without pictures. The key here is that
    emails are sent only to those who ask for them and you are given a
    choice of text or html. There is even a link on the html version to
    select the text version for an individuual email if you have trouble.
    Several other responsible news sources and such for which pictures can
    sometimes be of benefit use this method.

    cwdjrxyz, Nov 6, 2006
  9. Towner

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    >>> with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    >>> want?

    >> I agree on that. I send HTML-mailings every month :)
    >> Of course only to subscribers and with a proper text-equivalent and
    >> embedded images to avoid the warnings in Outlook.
    >> Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email
    >> :)

    > I receive the New York Times free email news edition everyday. You
    > first have to sign up to receive this. Then you have to select for a
    > text or html version.

    Problem is maybe that most people don't know what the difference is between
    HTML- and text email.

    > I selected the html version, because of some of
    > the pictures that add to some news stories, and I have an about 6 Mbps
    > download connection. Some on dialup would want the text version, as
    > this is a large download even without pictures. The key here is that
    > emails are sent only to those who ask for them and you are given a
    > choice of text or html. There is even a link on the html version to
    > select the text version for an individuual email if you have trouble.
    > Several other responsible news sources and such for which pictures can
    > sometimes be of benefit use this method.

    In situations like this (lots of text and images), I should only supply a
    link to a page on a website.

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 6, 2006
  10. Towner

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > >> I agree on that. I send HTML-mailings every month :)
    > >> Of course only to subscribers and with a proper text-equivalent and
    > >> embedded images to avoid the warnings in Outlook.
    > >> Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email
    > >> :)

    > > I receive the New York Times free email news edition everyday. You
    > > first have to sign up to receive this. Then you have to select for a
    > > text or html version.

    > Problem is maybe that most people don't know what the difference is between
    > HTML- and text email.
    >
    > > I selected the html version, because of some of
    > > the pictures that add to some news stories, and I have an about 6 Mbps
    > > download connection. Some on dialup would want the text version, as
    > > this is a large download even without pictures. The key here is that
    > > emails are sent only to those who ask for them and you are given a
    > > choice of text or html. There is even a link on the html version to
    > > select the text version for an individuual email if you have trouble.
    > > Several other responsible news sources and such for which pictures can
    > > sometimes be of benefit use this method.

    > In situations like this (lots of text and images), I should only supply a
    > link to a page on a website.

    The NY Times has a general web page at http://www.nytimes.com/ .
    However you can click the "My Times" at the top of the page to log in.
    If not registered, you click "register now".
    Then you can register to receive a news email every day. You can select
    the types of news you wish to receive so that you do not have to
    download a lot of stories of no interest to you and to keep the
    bandwidth down. On this page you select either text or html. If you
    happen to select html and have a slow dialup connection, the individual
    emails have a link to select text instead if the download time becomes
    too excessive for you. In effect, a custom newspaper is designed for
    your interest. Of course sites that do not have tons of new material
    every day would not need all of this elaboration.

    cwdjrxyz, Nov 6, 2006
  11. Towner

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:25:25 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >> Towner wrote:
    >> > Whats the best way to send a HTML email in Outlook?

    >> Create a webpage and place the URL as a link in the e-mail. More guarantee
    >> that your information is shown as intended and less irritation on the side
    >> of the receiver.

    >Yes, for many purposes this is very sound advice.
    >
    >I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    >with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    >want?

    On the contrary it is extremely unreasonable. Email is *not* the web.
    Email, like usenet, should always and only be plain text,

    Unfortunately some email programmers started their programs supporting
    html after a fashion (and a bloody poor fashion at that), and that
    started the downhill slide.

    Alas.

    Ed Seedhouse, Nov 6, 2006
  12. Towner

    dorayme Guest

    In article <_AE3h.46344$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Scripsit Nico Schuyt:
    >
    > >> I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    > >> with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    > >> want?

    > > I agree on that. I send HTML-mailings every month :)

    > Surely customers just love logos and banners, especially when using, say, a
    > slow connection like GSM. They can't wait to see the fancy images and kewl
    > formatting, which helps them to ignore the (excuse for) content.

    OK. I was influenced to say this about companies from a personal
    experience from last week in which I was asked to help out on the
    HTML part. The experience may be informative to others so i will
    describe it briefly.

    This particular company wanted its logo on its emails and were
    unhappy with its look and operation (I won't describe all). I
    know little about HTML email and said so but asked them to send
    the html they were using. I basically approached it on the
    assumption it should be good HTML and CSS and tested it in
    browsers and returned it and hoped for the best. Yup, they were
    very pleased! I was rather surprised because I did not know how
    such things are slotted in to email programs on this issue and
    thought there would be "issues".

    What was good about it? If I may say: I tossed the MS word
    generated HTML and replaced with something two orders of mag at
    least less. A proper doctype and structure. And very simple CSS.
    Got hold of the rather big logo and grabbed the pictorial part
    and reduced it to under 4k and provided for the textual rest in
    straight out HTML with some CSS styling. In other words, HTML
    emails need not be overblown overkill any more than normal
    webpages.

    (Hey Sid, I know, I am only allowed to boast every 5 years but
    cut me a bit of slack will you please...)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 6, 2006
  13. Towner

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Seedhouse <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:25:25 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:

    > >> Create a webpage and place the URL as a link in the e-mail. More guarantee
    > >> that your information is shown as intended and less irritation on the side
    > >> of the receiver.

    > >Yes, for many purposes this is very sound advice.
    > >
    > >I guess, though, some companies like to send all their emails
    > >with their logos and other banners... a not unreasonable thing to
    > >want?

    > On the contrary it is extremely unreasonable. Email is *not* the web.
    > Email, like usenet, should always and only be plain text,

    Ed... it's ok mate... I have heard you are earmarked for
    promotion to the priesthood in this church... no need to fly the
    flag too much. It's guaranteed mate!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 6, 2006
  14. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email :)

    I do: HTML mail goes directly to folder "spam". :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 7, 2006
  15. Towner

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email
    >> :)

    > I do: HTML mail goes directly to folder "spam". :)

    No problem, you're not on our mailing list :)

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 7, 2006
  16. Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >>> Never heard anyone complain and no one seems to filter on HTML email
    >>> :)

    >> I do: HTML mail goes directly to folder "spam". :)

    > No problem, you're not on our mailing list :)

    I didn't read "no one seem to fiter on HTML email" as being limited to
    your mailing list.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 7, 2006
  17. Towner

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> I do: HTML mail goes directly to folder "spam". :)

    >> No problem, you're not on our mailing list :)

    > I didn't read "no one seem to fiter on HTML email" as being limited to
    > your mailing list.

    I wrote "I send HTML-mailings every month" in my original message.
    The mailings concerned have about 1600 different receivers and, like I said,
    no one complains. Fot about half of them the information is of great
    importance. If it was filtered out we surely should be informed. Also I sent
    thousands of e-mail per year to family, friends and customers and none of
    them has problems. Only very few of them use plain text; no one has a
    configuration that drops HTML mail into a spam box.

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 7, 2006
  18. Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >>> No problem, you're not on our mailing list :)

    >> I didn't read "no one seem to fiter on HTML email" as being limited to
    >> your mailing list.

    > I wrote "I send HTML-mailings every month" in my original message.

    Oh, I know. I just didn't make that connection when I read the claim I
    responded to. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 7, 2006
  19. Towner

    Vince Morgan Guest

    "Towner" <> wrote in message
    > Whats the best way to send a HTML email in Outlook?

    I find the 'Send' button works for me almost every time :)
    Vince Morgan

    Vince Morgan, Nov 8, 2006