which file, regestry, environment variables do perl install

yan.vulich

Hi, all!
Please help me to find out what perl installation do on my computer:
Which files does perl installation extract and where?
Is perl installation write something to regestry?
And if perl installation sets some environment variable?

Any help will be appreciate.

Thanks a lot.

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed):
Hi, all!
Please help me to find out what perl installation do on my computer:
Which files does perl installation extract and where?
Is perl installation write something to regestry?
And if perl installation sets some environment variable?

Since you mention 'registry' I assume you're on Win32. If you're using
ActivePerl, the the installer creates the following:

1. The entire directory tree you installed it into, usually C:/Perl.
2. An association for .pl in the registry.
3. An entry 'C:\Perl\bin' in %PATH%.

AFAICR, that is all.

Why do you need to know? Surely the uninstaller would back it all out?
Or are you using some other Perl/Win32 distro?

Ben

yav

Regarding Ben's question.
I'm want to include perl as part of installation of my company product,
install\uninstall our product should add\remove particular perl version
and shouldn't touch other perl installed on the machine.

Thanks.

Henry Law

yav said:
Regarding Ben's question.
I'm want to include perl as part of installation of my company product,

If by "Perl" you mean ActiveState Perl then you should read the license
terms quite carefully, since they seem to me to forbid, or at least
restrict, this. (They are installed with the ActiveState distribution:
click on "License and Copyright" near the top of the "navigation" pane
when viewing the HTML help).

Tintin

yav said:
Regarding Ben's question.
I'm want to include perl as part of installation of my company product,
install\uninstall our product should add\remove particular perl version
and shouldn't touch other perl installed on the machine.

Sound like you could use PAR instead. http://par.perl.org/

Sisyphus

..
..
Since you mention 'registry' I assume you're on Win32. If you're using
ActivePerl, the the installer creates the following:

1. The entire directory tree you installed it into, usually C:/Perl.
2. An association for .pl in the registry.
3. An entry 'C:\Perl\bin' in %PATH%.

With ActiveState perl if, instead of installing the '.msi' package, you
download the '.zip' and install by running 'install.bat' (which is included
in the '.zip') you can install perl to the location of your choice without
doing *anything* to the registry or the path. (You'll be prompted regarding
both those aspects, iirc. Just select the option that best suits your
needs.)

I don't think the '.zip' package has an 'uninstall' capability - not really
a problem.

Cheers,
Rob

yav

Thanks.
We have(buy) the permission to include perl. Regarding the zip
installation I will try it.
Thank you very, very much.
You help me big time :)