Which free html editor?

Stan McCann

Agreed, just tested and found that the option did not work, but then
again I do not use a WYSIWYG editor. Works in Moz's Composer, but
somehow the Nvu folks broke it when they added enhanced features

I don't believe in WYSIWYG editors for the web. Too much difference in
browsers, platforms, etc. When I ran across Nvu, I was looking for
something to assist in generating long complex forms. I'd actually
like something where I can drag and drop form fields, then make setting
changes such as size, name, id, etc.

I was also looking for something easy for the many non-technical people
on campus that edit pages for their areas. So far, for ease of use to
novices that do not wish to learn anything is Composer. I intend to
change that with the new site design. I'm thinking of building forms
where the users can paste their text content and upload graphics, then
have PHP generate their pages.
I work with Ultra-Edit[1], when I hit the save button in a file I'm
working on direct from the server, it's saved direct to the server,
using SSH.

[1] Much like Crimson Editor, but not free.

I have v3.7 the latest and it's freeware. Now the author does accept
donations, and this is one freeware product that deserves a
donation, Roshal's WinRar is another.

It's been several months since I tried Nvu; I don't remember the
version number. I'm one of the many that wrote in about this bug.
Crimson doesn't do SSH

I agree. There is some great free software out there. For anyone
looking for a good text editor, Crimson is an excellent choice. And, I
can't cut Nvu. When I looked at it, it had lots of nice features as
well as the couple of problems that *I* couldn't deal with.
Nope it doesn't but then I do not edit directly to 'published'
documents. I work on a private development servers on my LAN then
when I have tested and assured that everything is correct then I
mirror to the public server with WS_FTP Pro. Helps 'minimize'
boo-boos on line. WS_FTP Pro does support SSH.

Yes, working on-line has it's dangers. But done carefully, checking
things out often minimizes the danger. For more complex stuff, I have
test servers that I and a few others of the school's web development
team know the URL to. They do sometimes get indexed by the search
engines but I don't see that as a problem. I also don't see a problem
with others that might just run across it. For instance, this is our
new sample site design in progress/testing:
http://alamo-smccann.nmsu.edu/

My other server is a different story. It is mine and I accept the risk
of working directly on the server. I host a few non-profit sites
there. My favorite is http://abateofnm.org

I saw where WS_FTP Pro supports SSH but unfortunately no longer free
for educational use. We are a poor little school with our IT budget in
the $150,000 - $200,000 range. That's salaries *and* keeping up with
network and computer lab needs campus wide. This year is especially
tight with a whole $8,000 after all the critical stuff. That little
money has to get us through until July. It's a good thing I'm good at
getting by with little to nothing.

S.O. Meone

Thomas Jespersen said:
You should also take a look at Stones Webwriter:

http://www.webwriter.dk/english/

That's an old version (3.5.2e, from 2001), which I've used for a
while, and quite liked, but it has a few irritating quirks. There is
no English translation of the newer (Danish) version (currently
4.0.8). I'll give it serious consideration, if and when it becomes
available (as freeware). I had a quick look at the Danish version and
the quirks appear to have been remedied, as far as I could make out.
However, it's beginning to look like the English translation has
become abandonware.

S.O. Meone

fitwell

Stan said:
When I tested it, it changed code even with the setting set. Yes, it
was a deal killer. That, and the fact that it does not use, and they
have no plans to implement SSH. I have all of my servers using that
only, no FTP.

[...]

I'm sorry but I missed the first messages in this thread. I
personally don't know what SSH is but in terms of WYSIWYG that doesn't
change code (at least, everything I've ever done has remained clean),
there's TSW Webcoder 4. There may be a later version out there but 4
is the one I know and use.

I love this editor and though I don't build from scratch often, have
used it when I need direct and WSIWYG input, it's my choice.

The bulk of what I do happens to be minor editing so it's just easier
for me to use Notepad in those cases, but there are times when I want
a wordprocessor-like interface with its immediate effects and this one
is great.

However, as mentioned, don't know if it does SSH since I don't know
what that is <g>. I've probably seen it but don't know the term
maybe.

If anyone tries this one and finds any major problems with it, pls
advise. I'd be curious to know.

Good luck!

Stan McCann

fitwell said:
I'm sorry but I missed the first messages in this thread. I
personally don't know what SSH is but in terms of WYSIWYG that
doesn't change code (at least, everything I've ever done has
remained clean), there's TSW Webcoder 4. There may be a later
version out there but 4 is the one I know and use.

I love this editor and though I don't build from scratch often, have
used it when I need direct and WSIWYG input, it's my choice.

I downloaded and tried the newest version (25 uses, then pay). Maybe
with some more playing around with it, I might figure out why anyone
would call it WYSIWYG. I found it to be a text editor with a preview
mode. I created a test.php page with it which worked well and
validated. The software didn't change my code and it accepted my
change to the default of using HTML 4.01 strict. Overall, not a bad
editor except:

The first thing that turned me off to this editor is that the company's
own site is not very good IMO. Oh, it passes validation. To
Transitional; how old is that page? I teach that all new pages be done
with strict (X)HTML.

The CSS for the site is full of px this and px that. It has a
horizontal scrollbar at my default window size of 800x600. The page is
way too big; it needs split up some. My first try to find where to
download the software got me lost in a forum. The "company" seems to
have one product which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it
does make one wonder about support. So much for what I thought of the
website.

Upon installing the software, I noted the information about not being
reliable in view mode for Mozilla due to the ActiveX control for it to
display as IE. BAD! ActiveX is a scourge on the users of such. How
many viruses/spyware do you want today? This time next week, I don't
know if the software will even work. Currently, I am teaching a class
using a tool that requires ActiveX. Next week, after the class is done
(Thursday), you won't find ActiveX on any of my systems anymore. I got
stuck using that tool before I knew what was involved. I won't use it
again.

No SSL, FTP only. This is mostly a drawback for me and others that may
be like me that work directly to/from the server.

All in all, I'll stick with UltraEdit.