Which IDE is recommended?

Franz Steinhaeusler

I saw this message and downloaded DrPython. It's very good:

Hello Daniel,

thank you,
I like the
class/functions browser while I'm coding... but I can't find the
autocompletion feature you talk, and I think this feature is very
important. Where it is?

Daniel

For clarification:

1) There is the "normal" Autocomplete: It looks for already available
Words in the text file, and suggest possible completition. Edit => Find
and complete.

2) A plugin: Abbreviations: You can edit a list of words with
abbreviation keys (like in SciTE).

3) I think, you meant "Code Completition":
for example you type: os. and with the "." os.chmod, os.chdir, ...
appear in a completition list box.
You have to download it or install via plugin manager this plugin.
Best overview, you get if you choose "Show ALL Project Files" in the
Project:DrPython: Summary.
Or you look at the homepage: http://drpython.sourceforge.net/
and select Plugins.

HTH,

Franz Steinhaeusler

3) I think, you meant "Code Completition":
for example you type: os. and with the "." os.chmod, os.chdir, ...
appear in a completition list box.

BTW: If it doesn't seem to work: Make sure, to enable it
in Options=>Enable Autocompletition.
You can also select under Plugin Preferences "Code Completition Enabled
by default".

For other questions, you are welcome to ask in the tracker or
Public Forums.

dcrespo

Hi. You were right: I meant "Code Completition". I did what you told me
to do. I get now auto completition of code.
For example:

import wx
wx.(here appear a list with the possibilities)

But.... (there's always a "but") with:

button = wx.Button(...)

when I write "button." there's a flick of the list of the possible
parameters, resulting in no showing it. Is there a way to correct it?

Daniel

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Steffen_Gl=FCckselig?=

I'm a fan of PSPad. It's free, light weight, and works with
everything.
I want to second that. For small scripts PSPad is definitely very
useful and comfortable.

For larger scripts I'd consider something with code-completion. Maybe
PyDev.

best regards
Steffen

Bryan

dcrespo said:
I saw this message and downloaded DrPython. It's very good: I like the
class/functions browser while I'm coding... but I can't find the
autocompletion feature you talk, and I think this feature is very
important. Where it is?

Daniel

i saw this message too and i've been using it for the last couple days, but i
don't see the class/functions browser you are talking about. where is it???

thanks,

bryan

Franz Steinhaeusler

i saw this message too and i've been using it for the last couple days, but i
don't see the class/functions browser you are talking about. where is it???

thanks,

bryan

Did you try: Menu View => "Toggle Source Browser"?

Franz Steinhaeusler

Hi. You were right: I meant "Code Completition". I did what you told me
to do. I get now auto completition of code.
For example:

import wx
wx.(here appear a list with the possibilities)

But.... (there's always a "but") with:

button = wx.Button(...)

when I write "button." there's a flick of the list of the possible
parameters, resulting in no showing it. Is there a way to correct it?

Daniel

Hi,

I personally don't use it.

Hm, because of drpython is "weak" typed, that is not so easy.
It would require an "extra" parsing of the current document.

Anyway this could be a feature request and I put it into
sf tracker.

Stani's Python Editor and Boa Constructor doesn't (seem) support this
too.