Which String class functions are supported by MS JVM?

Mark

Hi group,

I work on a java applet and I would like it to be compatible with the
old Microsoft JVM on Win2000 for example. Now the MS JVM doesn't
support some functions in the String library, like split() and
compareToIgnoreCase(). No problem, but I would like to know which
functions are not supported. I cannot find the information on the
internet and my compiler doesn't complain if I use unsupported
functions (Eclipse, set to compiler compliance level set to 1.3).

tia, Mark

Rhino

Mark said:
Hi group,

I work on a java applet and I would like it to be compatible with the
old Microsoft JVM on Win2000 for example. Now the MS JVM doesn't
support some functions in the String library, like split() and
compareToIgnoreCase(). No problem, but I would like to know which
functions are not supported. I cannot find the information on the
internet and my compiler doesn't complain if I use unsupported
functions (Eclipse, set to compiler compliance level set to 1.3).
I think the Microsoft JVM is at the Java 1.1 level, although I can't swear
to it. Maybe you could do a Google Groups search on this newsgroup, looking
for "Microsoft JVM". I'm pretty sure that someone will have stated the exact
level of the Microsoft JVM somewhere in this newsgroup at some point in
time. Or maybe Roedy Green mentions it on his site, http://mindprod.com. Try
going there and searching on "Microsoft JVM".

Once you know the level of the JVM, you can find the documentation for all
the old versions of Java at http://java.sun.com. I think there's a link to
"Documentation" on the main menu. In any case, it's not too hard to find; I
manage to find old JDK docs when I need them without much trouble.

Another possible approach might be to do a search on "Microsoft JVM" at the
Microsoft website. They may have the API for that JVM somewhere on that
site.

Thomas Hawtin

Rhino said:
I think the Microsoft JVM is at the Java 1.1 level, although I can't swear

It's 1.1.4 to be exact. However, jview has deviations from Java and, of
course, its own bugs.

Microsoft do not appear to have patched security vulnerabilities in
jview for some considerable time. Indeed, Sun's JRE 1.1 has completed
its end-of-life period. From the achive page:

"[...] These products are down-revision products that may have
various bugs, Y2000, and possibly security issues associated with them.
Sun in no way recommends these products be used in a live, production
environment. Any use of product on this page is at the sole discretion
of the developer and Sun assumes no responsiblity for any resulting
problems."
-- http://java.sun.com/products/archive/index.html

In my view, deliberately allowing a public applet to function on 1.1
indicates condonation of running an insecure machine. Such a compromised
machine could potentially used to attack other machines or to capture
data passing though it, such as confidential bank login details.

About the only use for 1.1 applet code is to warn the responsible party
to upgrade (or remove) their JVM.

Tom Hawtin

Mark

[...]

Great, thanks, I did a search on Google, seems that the MS JVM is at
the 1.1.x level. I have found this JRE including the docs for this
version in the archives on the sun website.

mark

Rhino

Mark said:
Great, thanks, I did a search on Google, seems that the MS JVM is at
the 1.1.x level. I have found this JRE including the docs for this
version in the archives on the sun website.
Excellent! I'm glad I could help :)

Mark

Rhino said:
[...]

Hi Tom,

I see your point. Then again, I do have visitors who still run the
microsoft JVM and some of them probably have no idea why or how they
should upgrade. I compile my applet on a 1.3 compliance level, simply
because with higher levels the applet won't run on the MS JVM. I admit
I'm not sure what the security issues are, compared to the 1.1 and
modern versions.

Mark.