    Thanks.

    Morten
    , Mar 27, 2006

  2. David Bailey Guest

    unknown wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'll be building a small app which should look and feel native on
    > Windows and Mac OS X and optionally run on Linux. I'm thinking Ruby/Tk
    > and deployment via Erik Veenstras sweet ruby2exe work.
    >
    > I do not have any UI toolkit experience at all, anyone care to share
    > some insight in what other toolkits could be interesting?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Morten

    I'm in the process of learning Ruby. I'm writing a sudoku game as my
    learning vehicle. I'm using Ruby/Tk, mainly because it seems to be the
    Ruby default GUI. Most of the introductory texts purport that, anyway.
    If you haven't settled on a Ruby GUI yet, there is a Syngress book out
    called Ruby Developer's Guide (ISBN: 1-928994-64-4) that provides
    "Complete Coverage of Ruby GUI Toolkits: Tk, GTK+, FOX, SWIN/Vruby
    Extensions, and Others." I have the book and have briefly read through
    that chapter; it includes source code for a sample GUI application of an
    XML viewer in all four toolkits. It may be helpful if you want to do a
    compaison before you make a decision about which of those, or other one,
    you decide to use. I'd be happy to be kept aprised of your project's
    progress, and may even be ale to be more helpful down the road as I
    develop my GUI "chops". Best regards,

    David

    David Bailey, Mar 27, 2006

    Looks like GTK+ is rapidly becoming an option. The MS Windows port has
    been around for a while. The Mac OS X port was announced back in
    October 2005 I think: http://developer.imendio.com/wiki/Gtk_Mac_OS_X .
    Looks like it's coming along pretty well (the site provides build and
    install instructions).
    , Mar 27, 2006
  4. gregarican Guest

    Morten wrote:

    > Hi.
    >

    > I'll be building a small app which should look and feel native on
    > Windows and Mac OS X and optionally run on Linux. I'm thinking Ruby/Tk
    > and deployment via Erik Veenstras sweet ruby2exe work.
    >

    > I do not have any UI toolkit experience at all, anyone care to share
    > some insight in what other toolkits could be interesting?
    >

    > Thanks.
    >

    > Morten

    You have a lot of other options, such as Qt
    (http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/index.html), Wx
    (http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/), Fox (http://www.fxruby.org/), GTK
    (http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby/GTK), Widestudio
    (http://www.widestudio.org), VisualuRuby
    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vruby/), etc. Once you find a kit you
    like stick with it and write some test programs using it. Experimenting
    with a couple at a same time can confuse you. At least from my humble
    experience.
    gregarican, Mar 27, 2006