Who know about Hebrew Fonts?

Galsaba

I dont know how to enter in my HTML Hebrew fonts, making sure that they can be
read with every computer.
First I used fonts with FrontPage. I used STiberian, but then I thought that
those users that do not have STiberian installed will not be able to see them.
Then I entered the hex codes of the letters ( הספ), and I
think if I do that, everybody can see the Hebrew fonts, and it will not be
needed to install the Hebrew fonts. Am I right? where can I learn more about
how the browser interpenetrate the fonts?

Thanks,

Joe

Jukka K. Korpela

I dont know how to enter in my HTML Hebrew fonts,

You don't enter any fonts in HTML. Well, shouldn't. HTML consists of
text and markup. If it happens to be rendered visually using some
fonts, that's casual. :)
making sure that they can be read with every computer.

You can't make sure of that.
First I used fonts with FrontPage.

Well, one of the problems of FrontPage is that it's all too easy to use
fonts and "see what you get".
I used STiberian, but then I
thought that those users that do not have STiberian installed will
not be able to see them.

I have no idea of what that font is. But that's not relevant. When
writing Hebrew it's relevant what the character encoding is, how it is
declared, and (in practice) that you use the dir="rtl" attribute.
If you had posted the URL, we could find out such things and analyze
whether there's something wrong.
Then I entered the hex codes of the
letters ( הספ),

It's possible, though somewhat awkward.
and I think if I do that,
everybody can see the Hebrew fonts, and it will not be needed to
install the Hebrew fonts. Am I right?

No. The character references don't deal with fonts at all. And people
reading Hebrew pages naturally need some font(s) with Hebrew characters
installed on the system - if they use a visual browser.

Sid Ismail

On 13 Dec 2003 22:49:34 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Galsaba) wrote:

: I dont know how to enter in my HTML Hebrew fonts, making sure that they can be
: read with every computer.
: First I used fonts with FrontPage. I used STiberian, but then I thought that
: those users that do not have STiberian installed will not be able to see them.
: Then I entered the hex codes of the letters ( הספ), and I
: think if I do that, everybody can see the Hebrew fonts, and it will not be
: needed to install the Hebrew fonts. Am I right? where can I learn more about
: how the browser interpenetrate the fonts?

Perhaps recommend to your users to download this font:
http://www.snunit.k12.il/hebrew.html

Seems easy enough...

Sid

Andreas Prilop

I dont know how to enter in my HTML Hebrew fonts, making sure that they can be
read with every computer.
^^^^^
You cannot make sure that Hebrew text can be read with _every_ computer.
But most can if you've done your job right.
First I used fonts with FrontPage. I used STiberian, but then I thought that
those users that do not have STiberian installed will not be able to see them.

You mean "SP Tiberian". This is just nonsense because "all characters
in the font lie between decimal 32 and 127".
http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/fonts/mac/SPTiberian.readme
Then I entered the hex codes of the letters ( הספ),

These are decimal values.
and I
think if I do that, everybody can see the Hebrew fonts, and it will not be
needed to install the Hebrew fonts. Am I right?

No. Everybody needs to install fonts with Hebrew glyphs on his computer
if he wants to read Hebrew text. For Macintosh see
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/hebrew.html .
For MS Windows see http://www.microsoft.com/typography/multilang/ .
For Unix see file:///usr/openwin/lib/locale/iso_8859_8/X11/fonts/ .
where can I learn more about how the browser interpenetrate the fonts?

Read http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/text-direction.html .
Read it again.
Print it and read it again.
Then study the examples at
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/dir-sample.html
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/hebrew.html8
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/multilingual1.html#hebrew
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/parentheses.html

Alan Wood

Andreas Prilop said:
Everybody needs to install fonts with Hebrew glyphs on his computer
if he wants to read Hebrew text. For Macintosh see
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/hebrew.html .
For MS Windows see http://www.microsoft.com/typography/multilang/ .
For Unix see file:///usr/openwin/lib/locale/iso_8859_8/X11/fonts/ .

The current versions of Microsoft's core fonts for Windows (Arial,
Courier New, Times New Roman) include Hebrew (and Arabic), so users of
Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not need to install any fonts. Internet
Explorer, Mozilla and Opera (7.2 or later) can display Hebrew Unicode.

For Mac OS 9, Hebrew fonts are in the Hebrew Language Kit that is
supplied on the OS CD-ROM (this needs a Custom Install). Mozilla can
display Hebrew Unicode, but Internet Explorer and Opera 6 cannot.

For Mac OS X 10.2 onwards, Hebrew fonts are supplied. I cannot
remember if they are installed by default. If not, you need to run
one of the font installers on the second OS CD-ROM. Safari and