Why doesn't Safari display bottom of my page?

duckweather.in.seattle

I think that people were dissing your code, not you.

I agree. I didn't take any of the criticisms personally. The
comments I received all seemed to indicate that my code was such a
mess that it was pointless to try to fix it. That was what I found
disparaging.
As someone else severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses,
including chronic fatigue, I suggest three alternatives, depending on
what your long term objectives are:

1. Learn how to use HTML and CSS, first creating simple pages, then
advancing to more complex pages, as your energy budget permits. This
alternative makes most sense if you wish to focus on becoming a
designer. This is how I started.

2. Use a tool that does everything for you. I have heard good things
about Expression Web, Microsoft's replacement for FrontPage. This
alternative makes most sense if your site will grow and change a lot
over time.

3. Find someone else in your community to make your page(s), perhaps on
a pro bono basis. This makes most sense if your site will not change much.

These are all excellent suggestions. I think number three is probably
the best way to go. At present I certainly don't have the energy to
take on learning HTML and CSS, or even to just work with one of the
automatic page generators. My focus for the next few months is going
to be exclusively on rest and recovery.

In the meantime we've got a group member who is doing his best to keep
up a page for us.

Thanks for your encouragement!

duckweather.in.seattle

I don't want to mess about with URLs any more. I am still no
wiser? What specific set of letters and spaces and things should
I type in my address bar and get to see your effort then?

I will try to make some concrete suggestions for you. Proposals
that should make it easier for you. It is easy to become
disheartened, but chin up!

Thanks dorayme!

Here's a link to my old page:

http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/index_old.html

I created it years ago with the free geocities page builder tool
provided on the web site.

Then one day I made some minor changes to the code based on an HTML
textbook book I picked up at a yard sale. From that moment on the
page builder program would no longer work with my web page. So I was
on my own. Over the years I made a change here and change there,
without really knowing what I was doing, and ended up with this jumble
of code that now apparently crashes browsers and causes the kindly
webmasters in this group to throw up their hands in dismay.

I appreciate the encouragement and support (and sense of humor) I'm
find here in this newsgroup.

Will in Seattle

duckweather.in.seattle

Not funny.

Heh, heh, heh.

Actually I chuckled out loud when I read that. To me it *was* pretty
funny.

I mean, the chronic fatigue patient who is too tired to update the
chronic fatigue support group web page.

That's me alright. In fact I laughed even louder as I just typed that
last sentence. It's like the old joke about the meeting of the
procrastinators club that never gets held because they keep putting it
off until later.

Thanks, Blinky, for my first chuckle of the day.

And, thanks, C A Upsdell for standing up for me.

This is a pretty nice bunch of folks I've stumbled into and I'm happy
to have made your acquaintance.

duckweather.in.seattle

You can get safari 3 (beta) for windows, at:

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Thanks. I had assumed that Safari was only available for Macs. If I
decide to try to fix my old page, I'll defininitely download Safari
and use it to test the page.

What with all the help and encouragement I've been receiving from this
group I'm beginning to reconsider my decision to abandon my web
page. I really do need to take a break and get some much needed
rest. But now I'm thinking that maybe I could work on fixing the page
in the background, just for fun, just a few minutes a day, from time
to time, to see if I could get it working again.
When I tried your site, Safari crashed.

Your page has 120 HTML errors and 317 CSS errors. Fix them.

You've got me curious now. I love trying to solve puzzles, so I may
not be able to resist trying to solve the puzzle of making my web page
work again.

duckweather.in.seattle

Then REORGANISE that mess of links! If I wanted to find some
information I wouldn't know where to look. I'd give up within a
minute. Put the similar links together and form a sensible 'tree' of
links. Make the topmost level your menu.

Thanks! You've aroused my curiosity. I'm sure the book you
recommended explains what a 'tree' of links is. But I only get my
library books delivered once a month, and my next delivery won't be
until late next month. So, is it something you could easily explain
to me, perhaps with an example of how to revise my current "mess of
links"?

For referernce, here's a link to my retired web page:
http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/index_old.html

As you can see, I'm afraid I've not done very well at sticking to my
resolution to not put anymore time into that old web page. I don't
want to let it become a major drain on my energy, but you guys have
aroused my curiosity, and so I'm having a hard time resisting the urge
to start tinkering with it again.

Bergamot

What with all the help and encouragement I've been receiving from this
group I'm beginning to reconsider my decision to abandon my web
page.

I'm glad to hear that.
But now I'm thinking that maybe I could work on fixing the page
in the background, just for fun, just a few minutes a day

What you might do is download a ready-made CSS template. That could at
least get you off on the right foot and save you a lot of time.

There are lots to choose from. Some places to look are:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
http://www.oswd.org/designs/browse/

Avoid fancy designs and keep it simple, then it shouldn't be hard to
manage at all.

Mike Barnard

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:49:45 -0800 (PST),
Thanks! You've aroused my curiosity. I'm sure the book you
recommended explains what a 'tree' of links is. But I only get my
library books delivered once a month, and my next delivery won't be
until late next month. So, is it something you could easily explain
to me, perhaps with an example of how to revise my current "mess of
links"?

Hi again.

I looked at the page you redirected us to, not yours. It was just one
loooooooong page of diffucult to read links. This is the first time
I've seen your one.

What I meant was... put all the similar ones together in groups.
Sections 3 and 4 here explains better than I could.

http://www.wilsonweb.com/articles/12design.htm

Search the net for "HTML design help / hints / tutorials" etc. Lots
of pages explaining whats good and isn't out there. Of course, not all
say the same thing! :)
For referernce, here's a link to my retired web page:
http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/index_old.html

Better looking than the one we are redirected to!
As you can see, I'm afraid I've not done very well at sticking to my
resolution to not put anymore time into that old web page. I don't
want to let it become a major drain on my energy, but you guys have
aroused my curiosity, and so I'm having a hard time resisting the urge
to start tinkering with it again.

As long as you don't hurt yourself, exercising the grey cells can only
be a good thing.

Get well.

Bergamot

Mike said:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:49:45 -0800 (PST),

Better looking than the one we are redirected to!

I have to agree. The other site looks a mess in my browser, besides
having that enormous, useless graphic at the top of the page.

dorayme

For referernce, here's a link to my retired web page:
http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/index_old.html

Better looking than the one we are redirected to![/QUOTE]

That was what I thought too! Change does not seem *as urgent*
with this one if most people see what I see. It is a lot better
than many web pages you see, never mind all the bad mistakes.

A decent server would be a start.

OP should probably be rid of the bg image given the level of
skill because to work as bg to text needs skill. To make a
background scale with the text usually means making the container
that the text is in scale by em dimensioning it. The background
to *this* container will give a graphic effect. How to put these
two things together along with all the other boxes is trickier.

First thing is to get a simple mark-up before styling. Since the
OP has renewed interest, perhaps he could first notice that if
you turn off all styles in say Firefox with the Web Developer
extensions installed and take a look at the CSS, nothing much
changes and there is no CSS. It is a nice example of complete
presentational mark-up.

We cannot have this! So, lets leave the styling and looks till
later. First thing is a doctype. How about HTML Strict 4.01.

A head, a title inside the head, a body. The body has as a main
<h1> heading "SeattleCFS" ...

Houston, we have a countdown... (but there is no hurry now...)

duckweather.in.seattle

Duckweather said:
That was what I thought too! Change does not seem *as urgent*
with this one if most people see what I see. It is a lot better
than many web pages you see, never mind all the bad mistakes.

Hi again all! I have to agree with you that the page I redirected to
is not an improvement. But I have to say in defense of the group
member who created it that he used to have a much better looking page
at that URL. I don't know what possessed him to replace it with the
current version.

In the meantime I've tried to cancel the redirection to his page, but
can't figure out how to undo it. Ack!

To keep things simple I'll start a new thread in this group asking how
to undo the redirection.

I'll have lots of questions on how to redo my old page, so I'll be
back soon!

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be back for more!

Will in Seattle

Mike Barnard

Hi again all! I have to agree with you that the page I redirected to
is not an improvement. But I have to say in defense of the group
member who created it that he used to have a much better looking page
at that URL. I don't know what possessed him to replace it with the
current version.

In the meantime I've tried to cancel the redirection to his page, but
can't figure out how to undo it. Ack!

To keep things simple I'll start a new thread in this group asking how
to undo the redirection.

Did you just create a new 'index.html' file with the redirect on it?

If so, just delete it. Use an FTP program and suck all your current
files on the server back to your PC, to make sure you have copies of
everything, then delete the lot. Clear it out, have a spring clean.

If not...

Then put a basic holding announcement in place. A bit like this
maybe...?

www.thermachek.com

I'll have lots of questions on how to redo my old page, so I'll be
back soon!

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be back for more!

Will in Seattle

Look forward to 'seeing' you.