Win2003 Server and Visual Studio

Wardeaux

Is there an article on how to configure Win2003 so that I can use with
Visual Studio for ASP.NET development? I loaded Win2003, copied over my
previous ASP.NET code, and still can't load the projects... any hints on
what I'm doing wrong?
MTIA,
wardeaux

clintonG

One point of consideration...

Manage Your Server > Manage This Application Server

Select your server and select Web Service Extensions.
Make sure you have 'allowed' ASP.NET.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET (e-mail address removed)

Kevin Spencer

What exact problem(s) are you having? I've loaded Windows 2003 Server on a
number of boxes with VS.Net and written quite a bit of ASP.Net on them,
without any issues.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Joe Fallon

I just did it but had one huge problem.
The app was on a Windows 2000 box and had 4 projects in it.
(3 class libraries and the ASP.Net app.)

The issue is that the solution was under Source Control. (VSS).
I never would have figured out the true problem without help from MS.
That support call was well worth it.

You can't just copy a web solution under VSS from one box to another.
If I had just done GetLatestVerison from the new box I would have been fine.

Other than that - it works like a champ!

Wardeaux

Joe,
thanks for the reply. Like you I've copied my code from a Win2K
machine(no longer around), but I'm not using VSS (though I'll remember your
tip when time comes). When I load the .SLN file from the new server
(win2K3) I keep getting a dialog that complains it can't fnd the old web and
then gives the old server name like http://oldserver/myweb... I've resorted
to manually changing the entry in the .SLN file to the new server and that
helps. Secondly I've discovered there seems to be a mass of permissions
needed both NTFS and IIS... I have to change the NTFS permissions and remove
the "readonly" permissions and then set the "WebSharing" on the folder for
full permissions... this may all be overkill but at least I got it working.
Is there a simpler or more precise way to do this? I hate killing flies
with a hammer... but when it's got to get done, a hammer will still work!
I look forward to your input!
thanks again!
wardeaux

Joe Fallon

I don't recall the specific steps but they were pretty basic.
Things like setting up the Server role to be a Web Server (install IIS).
I think the new NetworkService user need NTFS permissions to some folders I
was using.
Not much else.

Glad to hear you got it running.

Kevin Spencer

Hi Wardeaux,

VS.Net will set up those permissions for you if you do it right. Of course,
your problem wasn't caused by Windows Server, but by the copying of the
solution files from one machine to another. I would recommend creating a new
empty ASP.Net Solution on your new machine, and copying the code files into
it from the other machine to set up everything correctly/easily next time.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer