WinForm via internet; local permissions question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Gary, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I would be grateful for the answers to two questions, and for any other
    suggestions people might have.

    1. When a WinForms app is put on a webserver and is deployed to users via
    the Internet, is it possible to make the app quit if the user lacks machine
    admin privileges on his PC?

    2. Is it possible to prevent an ASP.NET webform from being used at a public
    computer terminal?

    BACKGROUND
    I'm supposed to write an application that replaces a legacy paper system
    where sensitive information was previously transmitted to headquarters by a
    few thousand people in the field using the good old fax machine. Likewise,
    sensitive information was sent out to them by fax.

    I think we can attain almost the level of security that the legacy fax
    machine application had, if we mailed out disks containing a WinForms/SSL
    app to these users in the field. But if we set up a secure area on our
    webserver where these users would be authenticated and then accessed the
    WinForms/SSL app from there, is it possible for the WinForm app to require
    that the user have local machine admin privileges?

    My boss would prefer ASP.NET because it is has the fewest deployment
    headaches. But I think it's impossible to guarantee that these people in the
    field would be accessing the webform from the privacy of their home offices
    and not from a public computer terminal at the airport. Not unless we set up
    a few thousand VPNs. Am I right about that?

    Thanks
    Gary

    Gary, Sep 17, 2005