WSDL.EXE: WSDL Import Directive

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Stephen Edgecombe, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I was supplied a WSDL file to use as the basis for creating a Web Service. I
    tried to use the WSDL.EXE tool to generate the VB code to create the
    service. It failed, with the following errors:
    C:>wsdl /server /language:vb vehicleinventory.wsdl
    Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language Utility
    [Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 1.1.4322.573]
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

    Error: Unable to import binding 'VehicleInventoryBinding' from namespace
    'urn:schemas-autodesa-org:auto-industry-standards'.
    - Unable to import operation 'VehicleInventoryOperation'.
    - The element
    'urn:schemas-autodesa-org:auto-industry-standards:VehicleInventoryMsg' is
    missing.

    If you would like more help, please type "wsdl /?".

    We subsequently found that the WSDL has an "Import" Directive:

    <definitions xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
    xmlns:http="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/http/"
    xmlns:auto="urn:schemas-autodesa-org:auto-industry-standards"
    targetNamespace="urn:schemas-autodesa-org:auto-industry-standards"
    name="VehicleInventory">

    <import namespace="urn:schemas-autodesa-org:auto-industry-standards"
    location="http://webservices.toyota.com.au/schema/autodesa/0.1/VehicleInvent
    ory.xsd"/>

    and that WSDL.EXE had trouble importing the XML Schema (XSD) which also had
    Imports.

    We got around the problem by having the supplier of the WSDL 'fold' the
    importef files into the WSDL.

    Should WSDL.EXE be able to Import a XSD or is this a limitation?

    Thanks

    Steve
    Stephen Edgecombe, Aug 13, 2003