WSE 3 error in InitializeSecurityTokenManagers

BigDave

All,

In my WSE-enabled web service, I can't get past an "Object reference
not set to an instance of an object." error in
InitializeSecurityTokenManagers. I use a Policy file and certificate
authentication. I've tried running the AppPool as an admin, and I've
created and tried various certs. This error just doesn't give me
enough to go on, to go any further.

Any suggestions for an avenue to go down would be much appreciated. I
have pasted a section of my InputTrace.webinfo below.

Thanks,
Dave

<processingStep description="Entering SOAP filter
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Design.RequireSoapHeaderAssertion
+RequireSoapHeaderFilter" />
<processingStep description="Exited SOAP filter
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Design.RequireSoapHeaderAssertion
+RequireSoapHeaderFilter" />
<processingStep description="Entering SOAP filter
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Design.AnonymousForCertificateAssertion
+ServiceInputFilter" />
<processingStep description="Exception thrown: Object reference
not set to an instance of an object."> at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Configuration.SecurityConfiguration.InitializeSecurityTokenManagers()
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Configuration.SecurityConfiguration.get_SecurityTokenManagers()
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Configuration.SecurityConfiguration.GetSecurityTokenManagerByTokenType(String
tokenType)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Tokens.SecurityTokenManager.GetTokenFromKeyInfo(KeyInfo
keyInfo, SoapContext soapContext)
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.EncryptedKey.LoadXml(XmlElement
element)
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Security.LoadXml(XmlElement
element)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Security.CreateFrom(SoapEnvelope
envelope, String localActor, String serviceActor)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.ReceiveSecurityFilter.ProcessMessage(SoapEnvelope
envelope)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Pipeline.ProcessInputMessage(SoapEnvelope
envelope)</processingStep>
</inputMessage>

BigDave

Update: As a test, I created a WSE-enabled Hello-World web service /
client in my development environment, using the same certs, and it
worked.

I am wondering if the the issue with our real web service is that it
uses the Thinktecture WSCF tool.

Has anyone combined the WSCF tool with WSE 3?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

BigDave

I was finally able to pinpoint the problem.

The issue was that the problematic WSE web service was a *virtual
directory* under a web site that was also a .NET web service (albeit
non-WSE).

Although theoretically a virtual directory's web.config settings do
not inherit from a parent (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/
ms178685.aspx), the parent's web config is indeed *read*; and in my
case caused something to go awry. When I temporarily removed the
parent web.config, my WSE web service worked.

Dave