WSE 3 error in InitializeSecurityTokenManagers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by BigDave, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. BigDave

    BigDave Guest

    All,

    In my WSE-enabled web service, I can't get past an "Object reference
    not set to an instance of an object." error in
    InitializeSecurityTokenManagers. I use a Policy file and certificate
    authentication. I've tried running the AppPool as an admin, and I've
    created and tried various certs. This error just doesn't give me
    enough to go on, to go any further.

    Any suggestions for an avenue to go down would be much appreciated. I
    have pasted a section of my InputTrace.webinfo below.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    <processingStep description="Entering SOAP filter
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Design.RequireSoapHeaderAssertion
    +RequireSoapHeaderFilter" />
    <processingStep description="Exited SOAP filter
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Design.RequireSoapHeaderAssertion
    +RequireSoapHeaderFilter" />
    <processingStep description="Entering SOAP filter
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Design.AnonymousForCertificateAssertion
    +ServiceInputFilter" />
    <processingStep description="Exception thrown: Object reference
    not set to an instance of an object."> at
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Configuration.SecurityConfiguration.InitializeSecurityTokenManagers()
    at
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Configuration.SecurityConfiguration.get_SecurityTokenManagers()
    at
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Configuration.SecurityConfiguration.GetSecurityTokenManagerByTokenType(String
    tokenType)
    at
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Tokens.SecurityTokenManager.GetTokenFromKeyInfo(KeyInfo
    keyInfo, SoapContext soapContext)
    at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.EncryptedKey.LoadXml(XmlElement
    element)
    at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Security.LoadXml(XmlElement
    element)
    at
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.Security.CreateFrom(SoapEnvelope
    envelope, String localActor, String serviceActor)
    at
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Security.ReceiveSecurityFilter.ProcessMessage(SoapEnvelope
    envelope)
    at
    Microsoft.Web.Services3.Pipeline.ProcessInputMessage(SoapEnvelope
    envelope)</processingStep>
    </inputMessage>

    BigDave, Feb 15, 2007

  2. BigDave

    BigDave Guest

    Update: As a test, I created a WSE-enabled Hello-World web service /
    client in my development environment, using the same certs, and it
    worked.

    I am wondering if the the issue with our real web service is that it
    uses the Thinktecture WSCF tool.

    Has anyone combined the WSCF tool with WSE 3?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

    BigDave, Feb 16, 2007

  3. BigDave

    BigDave Guest

    I was finally able to pinpoint the problem.

    The issue was that the problematic WSE web service was a *virtual
    directory* under a web site that was also a .NET web service (albeit
    non-WSE).

    Although theoretically a virtual directory's web.config settings do
    not inherit from a parent (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/
    ms178685.aspx), the parent's web config is indeed *read*; and in my
    case caused something to go awry. When I temporarily removed the
    parent web.config, my WSE web service worked.

    Dave

    BigDave, Feb 18, 2007