    it. This gives more freedom, doesn't it? What do you think on this...

    greets
    nick

    metalive, Jul 16, 2005

  2. metalive

    rf Guest

    metalive wrote:

    > Hello!

    Er, G'day

    > I am very new to XHTML.

    Odd. XHTML is merely a reformulation of HTML as an XML application, rather
    than an SGML one. Nothing new really. You really should be thinking of the
    difference between transitional and strict.

    > Is there rally no valid way to have a link open
    > in a new window/tab like with target="_blank"

    No. The target attribute is absent in XHTML, just as it is absent in HTML
    strict.

    > Actually this isn't such a bad limitation, because this makes really
    > "surfing" the WWW much easier,

    Yes.

    > as it doesn't clutter up your tablist. It
    > forces people to think about every link they klick

    I don't "think about every link" I click. I just click on them, expecting
    them to open in the browser viewport/tab I have provided for that site. Any
    other action from a "link" is IMHO rude and will probably cause me to
    abandon the site entirely.

    > and manually control
    > it. This gives more freedom, doesn't it? What do you think on this...

    No need to think at all. Unrequested additional windows/tabs/"popups" are
    avoided. End of story.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 16, 2005

  3. metalive

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *metalive* wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I am very new to XHTML. Is there rally no valid way to have a link open
    > in a new window/tab like with target="_blank"
    >
    > Actually this isn't such a bad limitation, because this makes really
    > "surfing" the WWW much easier, as it doesn't clutter up your tablist. It
    > forces people to think about every link they klick and manually control
    > it. This gives more freedom, doesn't it? What do you think on this...

    Don't you have a "Back" button on your browser? That is supposed to be
    used when you like to go back to the site you came from. Oh yes, next
    to the button is the smal "down arrow" button with a list of your
    recent visited sites, so you can jump back several clicks directly.

    I don't have several windows of any other software open at the same
    time, why should the browser make any exeption?

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.

    Arne, Jul 16, 2005
  4. metalive

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:52:28 +0200, metalive <>
    wrote:
    >I am very new to XHTML. Is there rally no valid way to have a link open
    >in a new window/tab like with target="_blank"

    Use XHTML 1.0 Transitional

    Look up Appendix C too, and there's lots of past discussion about it on
    this ng.

    If you must use XHTML, you want a strict DTD and you don't need target,
    then use XHTML 1.0 Strict

    There's no good reason to use XHTML 1.1 or later versions. They can
    cause problems for "real world" web work at present.

    Andy Dingley, Jul 17, 2005