XML over TCP vs SOAP

Discussion in 'XML' started by Andrew 2006, Jan 6, 2008.

  1. Andrew 2006

    Andrew 2006 Guest

    Hi there,

    I'm trying to understand the differences between sending XML over TCP
    and XML over HTTP (SOAP). However I'm not having much luck finding
    good articles on the www.

    Can anyone recommend a good web page that explains the differences?

    Many thanks

    Andrew
    Andrew 2006, Jan 6, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Andrew 2006 wrote:

    > I'm trying to understand the differences between sending XML over TCP
    > and XML over HTTP (SOAP). However I'm not having much luck finding
    > good articles on the www.


    Why do you say "XML over HTTP (SOAP)"? You can certainly send XML over
    HTTP without using SOAP.


    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jan 6, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Andrew 2006

    Andrew 2006 Guest

    On Jan 6, 2:53 pm, Martin Honnen <> wrote:
    > Andrew 2006 wrote:
    > > I'm trying to understand the differences between sending XML over TCP
    > > and XML over HTTP (SOAP). However I'm not having much luck finding
    > > good articles on the www.

    >
    > Why do you say "XML over HTTP (SOAP)"? You can certainly send XML over
    > HTTP without using SOAP.
    >
    > --
    >
    >         Martin Honnen
    >        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/


    Oh, I thought that SOAP usually means sending XML over HTTP.

    For a project I'm starting we have the choice of using SOAP or sending
    XML over tcp. I'm just trying to understand the differences.

    Cheers

    Andrew
    Andrew 2006, Jan 6, 2008
    #3
  4. Andrew 2006 wrote:
    > On Jan 6, 2:53 pm, Martin Honnen <> wrote:
    >> Andrew 2006 wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to understand the differences between sending XML over TCP
    >>> and XML over HTTP (SOAP). However I'm not having much luck finding
    >>> good articles on the www.

    >> Why do you say "XML over HTTP (SOAP)"? You can certainly send XML over
    >> HTTP without using SOAP.


    > Oh, I thought that SOAP usually means sending XML over HTTP.
    >
    > For a project I'm starting we have the choice of using SOAP or sending
    > XML over tcp. I'm just trying to understand the differences.


    SOAP sends XML over HTTP, it also sets some SOAP specific HTTP headers.
    But you can send other XML than SOAP messages over HTTP too. And TCP is
    a lower layer than HTTP so SOAP and HTTP will use TCP at a lower network
    layer level.


    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jan 6, 2008
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bob Garbados

    sending xml over tcp/ip

    Bob Garbados, Jan 5, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    13,732
    Joerg Jooss
    Jan 7, 2005
  2. Mark
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,703
    john farrow
    Aug 29, 2004
  3. Nagesh
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    9,361
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=
    Aug 12, 2006
  4. Tiger
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    953
    Dave Thompson
    May 1, 2006
  5. Dan Fitzpatrick
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    328
    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi
    Jul 16, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page