XML over TCP vs SOAP

Andrew 2006

Hi there,

I'm trying to understand the differences between sending XML over TCP
and XML over HTTP (SOAP). However I'm not having much luck finding
good articles on the www.

Can anyone recommend a good web page that explains the differences?

Many thanks

Andrew

Martin Honnen

Andrew said:
I'm trying to understand the differences between sending XML over TCP
and XML over HTTP (SOAP). However I'm not having much luck finding
good articles on the www.

Why do you say "XML over HTTP (SOAP)"? You can certainly send XML over
HTTP without using SOAP.

Andrew 2006

Why do you say "XML over HTTP (SOAP)"? You can certainly send XML over
HTTP without using SOAP.

Oh, I thought that SOAP usually means sending XML over HTTP.

For a project I'm starting we have the choice of using SOAP or sending
XML over tcp. I'm just trying to understand the differences.

Cheers

Andrew

Martin Honnen

Oh, I thought that SOAP usually means sending XML over HTTP.

For a project I'm starting we have the choice of using SOAP or sending
XML over tcp. I'm just trying to understand the differences.

SOAP sends XML over HTTP, it also sets some SOAP specific HTTP headers.
But you can send other XML than SOAP messages over HTTP too. And TCP is
a lower layer than HTTP so SOAP and HTTP will use TCP at a lower network
layer level.