Yet another book recommendation, but for someone who can program and yet does not the terminology

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Berehem, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Berehem

    Berehem Guest

    I would like some recommendations about what C books would suit me
    best. I have read the other topics about books, but I thought my case
    was unique enough to warrant book recommendations again. Please excuse
    the long post. Thanks.

    My Present Knowledge:
    =====================

    I have learnt C about 7 years ago from random
    none_to_distinguished_books/ online_tutorials etc. and have been using
    it on and off. I also know several other programming languages, and
    stuff one would learn in programming language courses. I have good
    programming skills as in specifying a real world problem in clear
    terms, identifying the algorithms and datastructures and writing code
    in a language to fulfill that requirement. I also have Bachelors in CS.

    However, I have not read any of the books discussed in these forms
    including K&R

    What I seek to acquire:
    ======================

    1. I think my learning in C is too informal, i.e. I could write a
    program, but I do not the proper terminology to say discuss a problem
    with a collegue, and dont know the formal names like deferenece
    operator, pre and post increment operators.. the derefenece operator
    has always been to me "the value at the address contained in".. so on.
    I want to remedy this.

    2. I would like to know stuff like a = i++; is illegal, an be able
    to read language specifications and understand them, know subtle
    details.. the ins and outs of C

    Properties I seek in the potential books:

    1. I prefer books that are terse. Economy of words, but points made
    eloquently.

    2. More referce-ish books(*complete*), and discuss both the ANSI
    versions.

    3. No mistakes, atleast very few (with an updated errata).

    4. I absoluetly dont need book with digressions about "how to program",
    just the "subtleties of C".

    Book Recommedations Gathered from other topics:

    **Are any of these useful for me?**

    K&R2
    Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming"
    "Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden
    "C Unleashed", by Heathfield, Kirby et al.
    The GNU C Library Reference Manual (2 volumes)
    Harbison & Steele
    Koenig's book
    Steve Summit's book version of the comp.lang.c FAQ.
    Programming - Deep C secrets by Peter van der Linden
    Berehem, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Berehem

    Russell Shaw Guest

    Re: Yet another book recommendation, but for someone who can programand yet does not the terminology well

    Berehem wrote:
    > I would like some recommendations about what C books would suit me
    > best....

    > 4. I absoluetly dont need book with digressions about "how to program",
    > just the "subtleties of C".
    >
    > Book Recommedations Gathered from other topics:
    >
    > **Are any of these useful for me?**
    >
    > K&R2
    > Kernighan and Pike "The Practice of Programming"
    > "Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden
    > "C Unleashed", by Heathfield, Kirby et al.
    > The GNU C Library Reference Manual (2 volumes)
    > Harbison & Steele
    > Koenig's book
    > Steve Summit's book version of the comp.lang.c FAQ.
    > Programming - Deep C secrets by Peter van der Linden

    I found this one ok: "Mastering C" by Anthony Rudd.
    Russell Shaw, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Berehem

    Richard Bos Guest

    "Berehem" <> wrote:

    > Book Recommedations Gathered from other topics:
    >
    > **Are any of these useful for me?**
    >
    > K&R2

    Always.

    > "Expert C Programming" by Peter van der Linden

    This is a good read, but with a few pitfalls. A lot of it is about Unix,
    not about ISO C.

    > "C Unleashed", by Heathfield, Kirby et al.

    Is a combination cookbook/semi-advanced explanation, not a reference
    work. Certainly worth a look, but may not be what you're looking for.

    > Programming - Deep C secrets by Peter van der Linden

    This is, AFAIAA, the same book as the one above.

    I'd also recommend:
    <http://wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470845732.html>
    This is the ISO C Standard, 1999 version, in book form, for a very
    reasonable price.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Berehem

    pete Guest

    Berehem wrote:

    > However, I have not read any of the books discussed in these forms
    > including K&R

    > Properties I seek in the potential books:
    >
    > 1. I prefer books that are terse. Economy of words, but points made
    > eloquently.

    K&R2 is the tersest.

    > 2. More referce-ish books(*complete*), and discuss both the ANSI
    > versions.

    K&R2 is a reference book.
    It's the one of mine that is the most page worn.

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html

    > 4. I absoluetly dont need book with
    > digressions about "how to program", just the "subtleties of C".''

    If you really want "subtleties of C", just stick around here.

    --
    pete
    pete, Apr 28, 2005
  5. On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:59:56 +0000, pete wrote:

    > Berehem wrote:
    >
    >> However, I have not read any of the books discussed in these forms
    >> including K&R

    >> Properties I seek in the potential books:
    >>
    >> 1. I prefer books that are terse. Economy of words, but points made
    >> eloquently.

    > K&R2 is the tersest.
    >
    >> 2. More referce-ish books(*complete*), and discuss both the ANSI
    >> versions.

    > K&R2 is a reference book.

    It has a reference section but it is mostly a tutorial. Of course you can
    refer to appropriate parts of the tutorial to find put information you
    need but that doesn't make it a reference as such.

    Lawrence
    Lawrence Kirby, Apr 28, 2005