Another book recommendation thread

rkrite

Hi,

Sorry to do this once again, but this is another question relating to
book recommendations for Java programming.

I have had a look around the archives in the group, and not really
found what I am looking for.

I am an experienced programmer of 11 years. I am fluent in Uniface,
Javascript, HTML, and PHP. I am experienced in database programming
(store procedures of many DBMSs), SQR, COBOL, and many other
languages.

My employer has charged me with investigating the future migration of
our Uniface application to Java (to 'fit in' with other internal
applications).

I have no (or extremely little) java experience. I understand OO, but
I have never adopted a coding style for OO.

If we were to move ahead with such a migration, we would like to take
advantage of all that Java has to offer. OO, object reuse accross the
organisation, client server and/or web deployment for user interfaces,
multiple DBMS support, etc.

I would like to know what the Java community (you guys and girls)
recommends for my situation. A book? A library of books? A course from
Sun?

Thanks

Daniel Pitts

[...]

Whoah there. Don't get over zealous with "all that Java has to
offer". Come up with your requirements, and find the tool to solve
them. Everything you listed there are different tools. Don't be
fooled, having a hammer doesn't make your problem into nails.

My recommendation is that you read up on Java Standard Edition first.
This will give you the foundation you need to move on. If (and only
if) you're requirements take you into the realm of a web interface or
other enterprise level complications, then read about Java Enterprise
Edition.

No matter what you do, I suggest reading Refactoring to Patterns
(Kerievsky), and/or Refactoring (Fowler). As well as any Patters book.

And remember, Taking advantage of everything Java has to offer is like
trying to build a city just because you have a tool box.

Richard Senior

rkrite said:
I have no (or extremely little) java experience. I understand OO, but
I have never adopted a coding style for OO.

If we were to move ahead with such a migration, we would like to take
advantage of all that Java has to offer. OO, object reuse accross the
organisation, client server and/or web deployment for user interfaces,
multiple DBMS support, etc.

I would like to know what the Java community (you guys and girls)
recommends for my situation. A book? A library of books? A course from
Sun?

Given that you are an experienced programmer and you understand OO, I
would suggest starting with "Java in a Nutshell" and "Java Enterprise in
a Nutshell" from O'Reilly. The coverage of the language, the OO
implementation and the tools is probably at the level you need and they
have comprehensive API reference sections that will, of course, go out
of date but will be useful to you moving forward.

Probably also a book on design patterns. Given your experience, perhaps
"Core J2EE Patterns" from Sun.

Regards,

Richard