zooming

rf

I had hoped there would be another solution, just to accommodate old
people with little understanding of how computers work, so they won´t
know themselves how to increase the font-size.
Peter

Old does *not* equal stupid.

If your old people have such trouble seeing normal text on a computer don't
you think they would have asked somebody by now how to fix it? After all
it's just a matter of Ctrl Mouse wheel.

If you specify 100% you will be doing them a favour.

If you specify 10px or something and provide a button that says "press here
if you are old and short sighted" you are, at best, being condescending.

Arondelle

Old does *not* equal stupid.

Indeed.

I'm old (and female into the bargain). There may be some people here
who think I'm stupid, but that's their problem. However, I somehow
managed to get a degree in computer science, and am reasonably well
acquainted with "how computers work" even if my HTML/CSS skills aren't
up to professional standards.

Furthermore, my mother-in-law is 80 years old and was an applications
instructor for Digital Equipment Corporation -- and she can surf the web
with the best of you young punks.

Don't be ageist: you never know when some old person will take offense
and whap the tar out of you with her cane.

Arondelle

rf

Arondelle
rf wrote:
Furthermore, my mother-in-law is 80 years old and was an applications
instructor for Digital Equipment Corporation

I failed to mention *my* mother in law. When she was 65 she acquired her
first computer (to drive her smart knitting machines). Now, at 83 she
teaches computer and web related stuff at the local tafe (college), the
class being "Seniors On-Line" :)

She most certainly knows how to make her font larger.

Peter

rf said:
Arondelle

I failed to mention *my* mother in law. When she was 65 she acquired her
first computer (to drive her smart knitting machines). Now, at 83 she
teaches computer and web related stuff at the local tafe (college), the
class being "Seniors On-Line" :)

She most certainly knows how to make her font larger.
Of course I don´t want to insult older people. I´m not saying that they
are stupid. I´m 65 so I´m in that categoy myself. But what a lot of the
week to try and grab the essentials of puters. They themselves are
afraid that they won´t be able to master the essentials. I have told
them, several of them had brainstrokes, that I would continue to tell
them everything, if needed a 100 times over. I know they appreciate that
very much. So I keep on trying to make computerlife easier for them in
any way I can. I´m sorry I didný find an easy solution for this.
Peter

rf

Peter wrote
So I keep on trying to make computerlife easier for them in
any way I can. I´m sorry I didný find an easy solution for this.
Peter

<input type="button" value="Large fonts"
onclick="document.body.style.fontSize = '2em'">

Peter

rf said:
Peter wrote

<input type="button" value="Large fonts"
onclick="document.body.style.fontSize = '2em'">

rf
I´m very grateful, Thank you so much on behalf of all the (older)
visitors of Digitaal Café. That is really a simple solution that I even
understand.
Thanks again,
Peter

Peter

Toby said:
Well, I was upgrading Apache last night so you may have arrived at a bad
time.
Have been there now. Still I´m going for the solution Richard provided.
Thank you
Peter

Toby Inkster

Peter said:
I´m very grateful, Thank you so much on behalf of all the (older)
visitors of Digitaal Café. That is really a simple solution that I even
understand.

The problem is that as soon as they leave your site they are back to
microfonts again. If you teach them how to use the font controls built
into their own browser, then they'll be able to exercise them everywhere.

Hywel

-- <-- This is your sig. separator

Have been looking everywhere ...

Why have you got your sig. separator at the *top* of your message? It
should be at the end - after your question or comment - otherwise your
message will be removed from replies by any decent news client.

Peter

Toby said:
Peter wrote:

The problem is that as soon as they leave your site they are back to
microfonts again.

If you teach them how to use the font controls built
into their own browser, then they'll be able to exercise them everywhere.
If they reach that point I most certainly will. Rest assured.
If you understand Dutch a little loo at http://pjm.fateback.com
Thanks for you help and advise
Peter

Peter

Hywel said:
Why have you got your sig. separator at the *top* of your message? It
should be at the end - after your question or comment - otherwise your
message will be removed from replies by any decent news client.
I´m not used to this. I´m sorry.
Won´t happen again
Peter