10 cent fixes (somewhat OT)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by John Bokma, Feb 26, 2014.

  1. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    Quote from email (there was much more along the same line). See also sig
    for why he talks about book(s).

    Now, in the past I considered purchasing a book from your wishlist and
    sending it to you as a thank you, but I realized that it wasn't worth
    it. For two reasons: (1) most the books on your list are high
    priced--try finding some $5 books that match the $5 fixes I ask you
    about (where the shipping isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg on
    top of it); (2) the cost of buying it and having it shipped to my
    place only to re-ship it to Mexico is a rip off because I'm wasting
    twice as much money just to get it to you.

    As I said, I have only ever asked you how to fix what was wrong in MY
    coding. I never asked you to re-write it or to write the entire thing
    for me. If I had you write an entire script for me, then, yes, I would
    send you a book or two or three. But asking you to EDIT my code so I
    know where I'm going wrong is an entirely different story. I have
    certainly not come to you with "unlimited" requests. The above example
    demonstrates well the kind of EDITS that I ask about MY code. It's
    like a 10 cent fix

    I don't know what others come to you about, but if you paid attention
    to what I write, my requests are very simple: tell me what I'm doing
    wrong. I know the code I am using works, whether theoretically or
    practically the way I have written it, and I just asked you to verify
    that it should work (e.g., "($ctime)=(split(/\#/,$lines[1],6))[4];
    $ctime=&GetLastDatePosted;") and/or to point out what is missing
    (e.g., "grep { /\w/ }"). As found out, the reason my $ctime wasn't
    working was because of an error in the &GetLastDatePosted; code
    itself, using (time) instead of ($tm). If I was asking you to write
    everything from scratch, or re-write everything, instead of asking you
    to check and verify it for me (since I am not fluent with the
    language), then you would have a very valid point about "unlimited
    help." If that's a problem, then I won't bother you again. For a 10
    cent fix, if you should actually provide that fix, a simple "Thank
    you" should suffice.

    I've kindly told him not to contact me again, but he might start
    contacting other people, so be warned. This is a very ungrateful person
    [1].

    I have no problem helping people for free on Usenet. But I think it's
    fair that if you mail me several times and ask for help that I can ask
    something in return instead of the person deciding how much I should be
    given.

    [1] He suddenly contacted me again, after I had told him at least twice
    that something in return would be appreciated. He did hide is name
    from me, but from the code it was obvious this is the same person.

    John Bokma, Feb 26, 2014

  2. [stuff I'll hopefully not find in my mail]

    Debugging code is at least as much work as writing code, more so if
    debugging someone else's code and yet more so if "throw the crud away and
    re-implement it sanely" is not an option.
    "Very ungrateful" is not a term I'd use to describe someone who tries to
    bully other people into doing his work because he is too lazy to do
    it himself ...

    Rainer Weikusat, Feb 27, 2014