3D in Applet

Thorsten Kiefer

Hi,
how can I render hardware accelerated 3D graphics
without demanding the user to install java3d seperately ?
I know it's something with webstart.
Can anyone provide me a sample .jnlp file for that purpose ?
I want the application to run within a browser window.

Best regards
Thorsten

Andrew Thompson

Can anyone provide me a sample .jnlp file for that purpose ?

I could probably whip one up, but..
I want the application to run within a browser window.

..WHY?!? (sorry for shouting, but I am astonished,
is all) Why on earth would you want a beautiful
(just guessing) 3D rendering 'trapped' inside a
browser window?

I was going to mention on the other thread* that
when launched with webstart, the becoming apps.
become free-floating and can they easily be resized
(if that makes any sense). I was going to mention
that as another plus of webstart, but forgot!

* BTW - to anyone else interested, this thread
began on the rather quiet c.l.j.3d group,
<http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.lang.java.3d/msg/
6f7e9686fcc0102e>
I advised the OP to try a better forum such as
this one. If you want to get tetchy at anyone for
multi-posting, please feel free to do it at me.

You know how much I'll care. ;-)

Thorsten Kiefer

..WHY?!? (sorry for shouting, but I am astonished,
is all) Why on earth would you want a beautiful
(just guessing) 3D rendering 'trapped' inside a
browser window?

I was going to mention on the other thread* that
when launched with webstart, the becoming apps.
become free-floating and can they easily be resized
(if that makes any sense). I was going to mention
that as another plus of webstart, but forgot!
OK I'll stick to webstart an forget the applet
* BTW - to anyone else interested, this thread
began on the rather quiet c.l.j.3d group,
<http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.lang.java.3d/msg/
6f7e9686fcc0102e>
I advised the OP to try a better forum such as
this one. If you want to get tetchy at anyone for
multi-posting, please feel free to do it at me.
Sorry ;)

Can you give me an exmple jnlp file that references
the java3d jnlp file ? I looked through the jnlp
file format and could only find <nativelib> tag.

-tk

Andrew Thompson

OK I'll stick to webstart an forget the applet ..
Yay!
Sorry ;)

It's cool, or rather, since I probably should
have given you the warning about m-p at the very
moment I was advising you to post 'somewhere else'
I do not feel you owe *me* an apology, so I
will 'pass that on' to the rest of the folks
that read and contribute to the group.
Can you give me an exmple jnlp file that references
the java3d jnlp file ?

Sure, but here's a tip.

Use this search..
<http://www.google.com/search?as_q=java3d&as_filetype=jnlp>

Then grab any of the hits and feed the URL to this
source..

<sscce>
import java.awt.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.net.*;

class ShowURL {

String address = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "URL");

URL url = new URL(address);

JEditorPane jep = new JEditorPane(url);

JScrollPane jsp = new JScrollPane( jep );
JPanel panel = new JPanel(new BorderLayout());
panel.add( jsp );
panel.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(400,300));

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, panel);
</sscce>

..and you can see how others do it!

Here is the first hit I am seeing for 'Sudoku'.
(reformatted to something more like we might be
used to seeing XML)

<!-- JNLP File for Sudoku Ball Application -->
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://www.sudoku.gs/sudokuballapp/
app/">
<information>
<title>Sudoku Ball Application 1.0.13-beta</title>
<vendor>Mobile Excellence B.V. & LenSoft International Ltd.</
vendor>
<icon href="icons/ballapp.jpg"/>
<icon href="icons/ballapp.jpg" kind="splash"/>
<offline-allowed/>
</information>
<update check="timeout" policy="always"/>
<jar href="SudokuBall.jar" download="eager" main="true"/>
<extension href="http://download.java.net/media/java3d/webstart/
release/java3d-latest.jnlp"/>
</resources>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<application-desc main-class="BallApplet"/>
..I looked through the jnlp
file format and could only find <nativelib> tag.

Interestingly, the 2nd hit seems to be the extension
itself 'java3d-latest.jnlp'. It is probably *that*
JNLP that needs to make use of the nativelib element(s).

It is the 'extension' element in your JNLP that
causes the J3D API to be installed.

Your code would be mentioned where it makes reference
to SudokuBall.jar.

Even more interestingly, I doubt the SudokuBall
splash would ever appear. The JNLP file declares
no 'href' in the JNLP element - which casues all
sorts of strange behaviour with caching, splash
screens and desktop integration.

..Maybe I should try and hunt down an email
address to contact them.