99 bottles countdown

Calvin

Hi,

I am a beginner trying to write a Ruby program that mimics the song
- '99 bottles of beer on the wall'. I want the program to ask 'how
many bottles...' on the wall, subract 1 from that number, and then ask
the question again until it gets down to 1 bottle of beer on the wall.
So far can only get the program to subtract the number once and then
the program stops. Any hints, suggestions, or reccomendations to a
page/chapter in the 'Programming Ruby 1.8' book would be greatly
appreciated. Here is the Ruby code I put together so far:

question = 'how many bottles of beer on the wall?'
puts question
x = gets.chomp
y = x .to_i - '1' .to_i
response = y .to_s + ' bottles of beer on the wall'

if y != 1
puts response
puts question
end

Thanks for your time,

Calvin

[...]

I should have searched for similar projects in the group discussions-
found my answer... kind of. Sorry to bother you guys.