A Good Intro to wxpython/PostgreSQL Applications?

PAllen

Hi all,

I am trying to get rid of a few of my old MS Access applications and
move them to PostgreSQL and Python/wxpython. Does anyone have any
suggestions on the easiest way to learn to program small database
applications with python & wxpython? Does anyone have a few small
examples at least?

I will mainly need forms with/without subforms for viewing and
inserting data into the database. Nothing too complicated to get
started.

thanks,

Phillip Allen

Ed Leafe

I am trying to get rid of a few of my old MS Access applications and
move them to PostgreSQL and Python/wxpython. Does anyone have any
suggestions on the easiest way to learn to program small database
applications with python & wxpython? Does anyone have a few small
examples at least?

I will mainly need forms with/without subforms for viewing and
inserting data into the database. Nothing too complicated to get
started.

Dabo is designed to do exactly what you describe. It is a desktop
application framework with an emphasis on database apps. Both myself
and the other Dabo author, Paul McNett, come from MS Visual FoxPro
backgrounds, so we know what people expect in a GUI app tool. Be sure
to check out our screencasts, which show you what is involved in
creating database applications in Dabo. The screencasts are listed at
the top of http://dabodev.com/documentation.

We support several backend databases, and PostgreSQL is one of them.
We use wxPython as our UI toolkit, but wrap the controls so that they
have a consistent, property-based API instead of the C++ style of
getter/setter methods with odd names.

I will be the first to admit that the how-to documentation is far
from complete, but there is a good amount of information on the Wiki
(http://dabodev.com/wiki). And we have our own mailing list that is
frequented by both the authors and several other helpful folks. You
can sign up for the dabo-users list at http://leafe.com/mailman/
listinfo/dabo-users.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com