A string and an integer to appear in tuple (python 2.7)

Jiewei Huang

Hi all,

I'm currently stuck at this question on

Writing a function len_str that takes a string as an argument and returns a pair consisting of the length of the string and the string itself.

Example: len_str('Meaning of life') should return the tuple (15, 'Meaning of life').

I can only think of this :

len_str = ('welcome to life' )

print (len(len_str,), len_str)

However that not an correct answer I need to make a def len_str but I can't seen to get it right.

Oscar Benjamin

Hi all,

I'm currently stuck at this question on

Writing a function len_str that takes a string as an argument and returns a pair consisting of the length of the string and the string itself.

Example: len_str('Meaning of life') should return the tuple (15, 'Meaning of life').

I can only think of this :

len_str = ('welcome to life' )

print (len(len_str,), len_str)

However that not an correct answer I need to make a def len_str but I can't seen to get it right.

Perhaps an example will help. Let's say we have a variable called x
that we initialise with

x = 2

Here's a line of code that prints 2*x:

print(2 * x)

This will print out 4 but that's not what you want. Here's a function
that prints its argument multiplied by 2:

def double(y):
print(2 * y)

Now we have a function and we can call it with

double(x)

so that it prints 4. Again, though, you didn't want to print it. You
wanted to *return* the value. So here's a function that *returns* 2
times its argument:

def double(x):
return 2 * x

Now if we do

z = double(x)

z will have the value 4. You can check this with

print(z)

Try the code above and see if you can apply the same principles to your problem.

Oscar

Vlastimil Brom

2013/3/13 Jiewei Huang said:
Hi all,

I'm currently stuck at this question on

Writing a function len_str that takes a string as an argument and returns a pair consisting of the length of the string and the string itself.

Example: len_str('Meaning of life') should return the tuple (15, 'Meaning of life').

I can only think of this :

len_str = ('welcome to life' )

print (len(len_str,), len_str)

However that not an correct answer I need to make a def len_str but I can't seen to get it right.

Hi,
unless you are required to code the length-counting by hand as a part
of the exercise, you would simply use the built-in function for that,
i.e.
http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/functions.html#len

Tuples are created using the coma delimiter; optionally with enclosing parens.
http://docs.python.org/3.3/library/stdtypes.html#tuples

Now you have to put the needed code to the function body; see
http://docs.python.org/3.3/tutorial/controlflow.html#defining-functions

(Be sure not to forget the "return" statement containing the result of
your function.)

hth,
vbr