A video

fulio pen

Hello,

I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minutes long. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch. I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.

If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.

fulio pen

richard

Hello,

I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minutes long. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch. I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.

If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.

fulio pen

www.google.com
html tutorials.

1

123Jim

Hello,

I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minutes long. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch. I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.

If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.

fulio pen

<!doctype html>
<head>
<title>HTML5 VIDEO example</title>
</head>
<video controls="true" autoplay="true" loop="true" muted="true"
height="400" width="400" >
<source src="myvideo.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
<source src="myvideo.webm" type="video/webm" />
</video>

Neither Firefox nor Opera do mp4 in html5 so you need to convert it to
WEBM format and offer both formats. You can convert video using VLC
media player the free media player.
Some help here:
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/08/02/how-to-convert-videos-with-vlc/

Alternatively you could offer your mp4 video by using embed as below,
also HTML5, and quite likely the browser will have a plugin for mp4, or
maybe not.

<!doctype html>
<head>
<title>HTML5 embed VIDEO (requires plugin)</title>
</head>
<embed src="myvideo.mp4" type="video/mp4" width="400px" height="400px" />

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
Depends. If your server offers streaming you would set it up one way.
Or just put a link up and let the user click and allow it to download
and run in their default app for that file type.

Or load up to YouTube and get the markup from there.

fulio pen

Hello,

I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minuteslong. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch.I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.

If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.

fulio pen

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your help. I've contacted the server people, and got the following response.

start
Yes, you can do that.
Basically, people will download that file instead of stream it.
If you want stream, you need to install 3rd party software for streaming.
end.

I guess your instructions are of downloading the file, rather than streaming, because streaming requires installing a third-party software. I originally downloaded the file from YouTube to my hard drive. It is in mp4 format.In order to use the skills you guys talked about, I have to first of all upload it to my web site. This is I like to do right now. Please teach me. Can an mp4 file be uploaded to the web site directly?

Of course I will read your responses again carefully, hoping to learn more.Thanks for help again.

This message should be placed at the very end of your discussions, to indicate i've read all your messages. But unfortunately, that way didn't work for me.

fulio pen

Hi,

I tried to upload the video file to my web site. This was my first time. The file is less than 30 min. long. but after starting. it said that the uploading will take nearly 5 hours. I stopped the uploading. Is such long time normal? Is there a way to compress the file to shorten the uploading time? Thanks for the information.

fulio pen

fulio pen

So what is the filesize?

Can you afford the bandwidth charges when people start downloading it?

Depends on the upload speed of your ISP, most likely.

The file size is 43.6 MB.

I understand that after uploading the video file to my web site, when
other people download it, I have to pay bandwidth charges to the web
site owner. .

I know there is also the way of streaming. A third-party software has
to be purchased and installed to my computer or web site. . After
that, people can watch a movie as they do on the YouTube. My question
is where to find the third-party software? Is it quite expensive?
Now I only need a couple of videos for this project, and may never
need any in the future.

Also, whether downloading or streaming, the file has to be uploaded
to my web site first. This is the same step for both the methods.

Thank you very much for your expertise. .

fulio pen

TK

I understand that after uploading the video file to my web site, when
other people download it, I have to pay bandwidth charges to the web
site owner. .

A really effective (aka lazy) way of accomplishing what you (I think)
are wanting is to upload the file to youtube and link to it as I have in
my signature.

They compress and handle all the bandwidth and you are able to display
the information you want in the way you want.

HTH