Access to temp folders?

Ragnar Midtskogen

Hello,

I am trying to get an ASP.NET application to run on a new Windows Server
2003 Standard box.
I know very little about ASP.NET applications, but we have the same
application running fine on another 2003 box, so I am just trying to set the
new server up to match the new one.

The application is a DLL and an is invoked with an aspx file. When the aspx
is called I get a 404 error, page not found.
The URL in the browser is correct, so this must be a permissions problem.
The app is running in the DefaultAppPool, which, from what I have read, runs
under the Network Service account.
I tried writing a simple "Hello World" aspx file and it dies processing the
machine.config file at a line
<add assembly="*"/>
with an 'Access denied: 'MyApp'
where MyApp is the name of the app.

When I switch the pool to MSSharePointPool, the "Hello World" aspx file runs
and displays "Hello World", but the application file I still get the page
not found error.

Someone on a newsgroup had a similar problem and he apparently solved the
problem by setting the correct permissions for the Network Service account.
How would I do that? Would it work?

Any help would be very much appreciated, I am really lost.

Ragnar

Ragnar Midtskogen

Well, I finally found that Network Service is a built-in but hidden user id,
Microsoft sure goues out of it's way to protect us from ourselves!
I have given Network Service id access to the folder where the aspx file is
and also the Framewrk folders, but the problem is still there, so I clearly
has not found all the folders yet.
At least I did see some effect, the test aspx file, which I put in the same
folder as the real one, runs in the DefaultAppPool now.

Ragnar

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Ragnar,

the WP account also needs full control to

\windows\microsoft .net\framework\version\asp.net temp files
and
\windows\temp

Ragnar Midtskogen

Thanks Dominick,

I take it by WP you mean Worker Process, i.e. NETWORK SERVICE?
I tried that, still get 404 error.
For some reason, now my test.aspx gives 404 error too.
The only change I made was to give full control to the \windows\temp
folder.

Ragnar

Ragnar Midtskogen

Guess what! The problem was due to a bug in .NET Framwork 1.1.
We had set the Web.config file to use a cookieless session, and the bug
caused the URL to be case sensitive.
I made a temporary fix just by changing the Web.config setting.
MS has a hotifix which they will give you but it is not released yet, they
recommend wating for the coming .NET Framwork
To think of that I spent several days trying to resolve this problem,
GRRRRR!

Ragnar