Access violation not caught/trapped by Visual Studio or Dr Watson

Discussion in 'C++' started by Greg B, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Greg B

    Greg B Guest

    Created a simple Win32 application (using Visual Studio wizard)...
    Am using Visual Studio (Enterprise Edition) 6.0, as well as Service
    Pack 5.

    At the start of 'WinMain' function, added the following two lines:

    char* ptr = NULL;
    *ptr = 'b';

    Built the crashTestApp.exe in both Release and Debug configurations.
    When trying to run the .exe in Windows Explorer on the same machine
    (Windows XP, SP 1), get:

    'crashTestApp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
    are sorry for the inconvenience.' messagebox, with an option to Debug.
    When I copy the crash executables (Debug and Release versions) onto a
    clean Windows 2000 Server machine and run them, I get a similar
    message box popping up (but by default it is Dr Watson, and therefore
    I don't get a chance to debug). If I then install the same version of
    Visual Studio (6.0, Enterprise edition) and Service Pack 5 for Visual
    Studio on that machine and run the .exes again, I am once again able
    to debug.

    Now, this is where it is starting to get weird...

    A friend of mine in United States has a Windows 2000 Server machine
    (which happens to be hosting a Citrix Metaframe Server). He has
    installed Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Professional (notice the
    difference) and Service Pack 5 on that machine, and then obtained the
    crash executables from me. But, when he attempts to execute them,
    there is no message box popping up at all. 'Just-in-time debugging'
    checkbox in Visual Studio Tools->Options->Debug tab is checked.
    If we uncheck that box, close Visual Studio and run the crash
    executables, once again nothing seems to occur (i.e. they are launched
    and terminated quietly). Doesn't appear to be anything in the Event
    Viewer either.

    Interestingly enough, if my friend creates a simple Win32 app on his
    machine and uses the same code for 'WinMain' (i.e. with the access
    violation lines), builds it in Release/Debug modes and then tries
    running it, everything works as expected (he gets a messagebox
    notifying him of the access violation, and giving him a chance to
    debug). If he then disables 'Just-in-time debugging' for Visual Studio
    and runs his own-built application, then Dr Watson notification pops
    up (and there's an appropriate message in the Event Viewer)

    Now, could someone suggest as to why this is happening and how I can
    go about solving this issue. Is the problem in the way I build my
    executables? Is it the difference in the Visual Studio versions
    (Enterprise vs Professional)? Is it because I'm building on XP and
    he's running it on 2000 Server? Is it because of some (security)
    policy settings on my friend's machine? Is it because I am 20 hours
    ahead in the timezone and the binaries I've sent to him have
    creation/modification date in the future? Is it because of some
    permissions issue (i.e. the executable he builds himself he has rights
    to debug, while for my one he doesn't?). Is it because Visual Studio
    is installed in the Citrix Metaframe Server environment? (then again,
    when I repeated the same steps with my local Citrix Metaframe server
    setup, everything worked a treat)

    I know I could probably attach a debugger to a running process but
    that would be my last resort if everything else fails...

    Any help/ideas would be much appreciated
    regards,
    Greg

    Greg B, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Greg B

    Unforgiven Guest

    This is off topic here. Try one of the microsoft.public.vc.* newsgroups.

    Unforgiven, Apr 23, 2004

  3. The only C++ answer to your question is that you have invoked undefined
    behaviour and therefore anything could happen. If you want a Windows answer
    to your question ask on a Windows programming group such as

    john

    John Harrison, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Greg B

    JKop Guest

    Greg B posted:
    I'm new here and even I find that dumb. It's like hitting someone in
    the head with a sledgehammer and then asking why or why not they're
    spasming.

    JKop, Apr 23, 2004