Active Directory Authentication: the container specified in the connectionstring cannot be found

Theon Greyjoy

Hello,

I'll admit up-front that I have very limited experience with Active
Directory...

I am using the Active Directory membership provider in my ASP.NET (C#)
application. However, we do not keep the AD users in the 'Users'
container...in fact, this container is empty. All users are organized
into folders by location and department.

Using this connection string:

<add name="ADConnectionString"
connectionString="LDAP://sub.domain.net/CN=Users,DC=sub,DC=domain,DC=net" />

and this membership section:

<membership defaultProvider="ADMembershipProvider">
<providers>
<clear />
<add name="ADMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider,
System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="ADConnectionString"
connectionUsername="domain\admin"
connectionPassword="password"
attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName" />
</providers>
</membership>

I receive the error: 'The container specified in the connection string
does not exist', which is not entirely unexpected. The issue, then, is
that I cannot figure out how to specify in the connection string to look
in the AD folders we have created. Even better would be if there is a
built-in 'global' container that always as all users in it.

Any ideas? I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
_TG