ActivePerl error message? Router script. Please help.Newbie

wrreisen2

Hi,

I have installed ActivePerl on Windows XP SP2 professional and have
tried running a script to restart my router: it always gives out this
message:

Can't locate Net/Telnet.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .) at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl
line 5.

By default ActivePerl has installed Perl has been installed C:/Perl

I am running IIS.

The examples given in activeperl say that
"Note: the examples assume that PerlEx is installed on this machine,
and that the address http://localhost/PerlEx/scriptname is valid."

So I created a directory in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ called perl and copied
and pasted all the files from C:/Perl into this directory in an attempt
to get this localhost to work. I have been running my script in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\
I've typed into Internet Explorer: http://localhost/perl/router.pl and
get the above error.

The script I have been trying to get to work is below:

I also tried turning on the starting the telnet service XP but this
didn't make any difference.

Here's some Perl that I've been playing with at home and at work
(being diverted from seeing some friends on Saturday morning to detour
into work to reboot the router provides an incentive to make sure the
ADSL line stays up). I run it from a cron job every 5 minutes.

Work: Vigor2600
Home: SpeedTouch 510

Both of them sometimes need a kick.

Notes: you will need to:
run the script as root if you use ICMP echo requests
change the IP addresses that it pings
change the username and password
change the command to reboot the system
do a bit of tidying up, especially if you are using Windows

Apologies to any Perl hackers out there for the coding style, from an
old fart who still thinks in Algol-60, -68, Fortran and C.

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<
#! /usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

use Net::Telnet;
use Net::ping;
use Sys::Syslog;
use Mail::Mailer;

# RFC1918 IP address of your router
my $localip = "192.168.0.254";

# a list of IP addresses to ping that are 1) few hops away, and 2)
# likely to be stable

# cheapest first
# next IP upstream 0.0.0.0 (from a traceroute)
# Your ISP's DNS servers: 0.0.0.1 & 0.0.0.2
# Your ISP's web server: 0.0.0.3
# i.root-servers.net: 192.36.148.17
# and any others you can think of

my @netips = ("0.0.0.0", "0.0.0.1", "0.0.0.2", "0.0.0.3",
"192.36.148.17" );
my $ip;
my $ok = 0;
my $mailer;

my $t; # telnet socket
my $p; # ping

my @lines;
my $i;
my $tmp;

$p = Net::ping->new("icmp");

# log to syslog
openlog( "routerping", "", "user" );

foreach $ip (@netips)
{
if ( $p->ping($ip) )
{
$ok = 1;
last;
}
else
{
syslog( 'debug', "can't ping %s", $ip );

if ( ! $ok )
{
syslog( 'debug', "%s", "rebooting router" );

# make sure that there is a route to the ADSL router's local
# IP address
system( "ip route add " . $localip . "/32 dev eth1" );

$t = Net::Telnet->new( Timeout => 10, Prompt => '/> /', Host =>
$localip );

$t->input_log( "/var/log/router.log" );

# if your router asks for a username and password, use this:
$t->login("Administrator", "zxc314" ) or die "login failed";

# else if it just prompts for a password use this:

$t->waitfor("/Password:/" ) or die "login waitfor 1 failed";
$t->print("fr0gR0utr" ) or die "login print failed";
$t->waitfor("/> /" ) or die "login waitfor 2 failed";

@lines = $t->cmd("adsl status");
# or perhaps
@lines = $t->cmd("adsl info");

$t->print("system reboot");
# or perhaps
$t->print("sys reboot");

$t->close;

$mailer = Mail::Mailer->new("smtp", Server => "localhost") || die
"can't new mail";

$mailer->open({ From => 'root',
To => 'root',
Subject=> "router reboot",
}) or die "can't open mail";

print $mailer "router reboot";

$mailer->close() || die "can't close mail";
}
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<

Guest

In comp.lang.perl.misc (e-mail address removed) wrote:
: Hi,

: tried running a script to restart my router: it always gives out this
: message:

: Can't locate Net/Telnet.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
: C:/Perl/site/lib .) at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 5.
: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl
: line 5.

This message says it all: Can't locate Net/Telnet.pm at line 5.

[...lots of stuff snipped here...]

: use Net::Telnet; # And this is line 5 of your code.

[...code snipped...]

By default, ActiveState's Perl installation doesn't contain the Net::
Telnet module, only Net::HTTP is there. You just have to install Net::
Telnet from CPAN, ideally via ActivePerl's install manager.

The other measures you described in your mail are not necessary; if
ActiveState Perl is allowed to install properly, then it will any .pl
script anywhere will start up.

Oliver.

wrreisen2

Hi,

Thanks Oliver for your help.

I have added all the .pm files from CPAN in the appropriate directories

Telnet.pm
Mailer.pm
Syslog.pm
template.pm

Please could you explain this error message:

Undefined subroutine &main::eek:penlog called at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 38.

Thankyou.

Line 38 says:

openlog( "routerping", "", "user" );

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
I have added all the .pm files from CPAN in the appropriate directories

Telnet.pm
Mailer.pm
Syslog.pm
template.pm

With your lack of experience and expertise, how do you know you installed
them in the correct directories?

Please use ppm which is distributed with AS Perl to find and install
packages.
Please could you explain this error message:

Please, could you read the posting guidelines and follow them to help us
help you?

While you are at it, please also quote properly when replying.
Undefined subroutine &main::eek:penlog called at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 38.

Thankyou.

Line 38 says:

openlog( "routerping", "", "user" );

What does line 42 say?

Sinan

Guest

In comp.lang.perl.misc (e-mail address removed) wrote:
: Hi,

: I have added all the .pm files from CPAN in the appropriate directories

: Telnet.pm
: Mailer.pm
: Syslog.pm
: template.pm

Did you install manually or let the package makefile do the work?

: Please could you explain this error message:

: Undefined subroutine &main::eek:penlog called at
: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 38.

: openlog( "routerping", "", "user" );

No, I can't. The following complete minimal example does not produce
any error message on my system:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use warnings;
use strict;
use Sys::Syslog;
openlog("","","user");
__END__

Can you try this and verify?

Oliver.

Charles DeRykus

Hi,

Thanks Oliver for your help.

I have added all the .pm files from CPAN in the appropriate directories

Telnet.pm
Mailer.pm
Syslog.pm
template.pm

Please could you explain this error message:

Undefined subroutine &main::eek:penlog called at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 38.

Thankyou.

Line 38 says:

openlog( "routerping", "", "user" );

Just a guess but `openlog` may be a Sys::Syslog method... (I thought
Sys::Syslog was Unix only too but maybe there's been some kind of Win32
port).

John Bokma

Hi,

Thanks Oliver for your help.

I have added all the .pm files from CPAN in the appropriate directories

Telnet.pm
Mailer.pm
Syslog.pm
template.pm

why didn't you do:

C:> ppm install Net-Telnet

?

Note that if you have set up your Win XP Pro properly, you have to run the
command prompt as Administrator (or a user with admin rights) in order to
be able to execute ppm. If it works out of the box, you probably should
rethink your account rights.

wrreisen2

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. I installed
Telnet.pm
Mailer.pm
Syslog.pm
template.pm manually because I couldn't work out how to get ppm to do anything. Now I've got it ppm working.
So now I've:
1:) uninstalled ActivePerl
2:) Restarted WinXP Pro
3:) deleted c:\Perl to remove any of my previous manually installed .pm
files.
4:) Reinstalled ActivePerl
5:) Tried running the Perl script mentioned in the first post in this
thread.
6:) Of course got the same error message as 1st mentioned:
C:/Perl/site/lib .) at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl
line 5.
7:) Did C:> ppm install Net-Telnet
8:) Ran Perl Script as mentioned in the first post.
9:) Get error:
Can't locate Sys/Syslog.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .) at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl
line 7.
10:) Did c:>ppm search sys-syslog
Searching in Active Repositories
No matches for 'sys-syslog'; see 'help search'.

Does this mean as Charles DeRykus says that there is no Win32 port of
Sys-syslog?

Is there anyway of getting this script to work in windows?

When I run:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use warnings;
use strict;
use Sys::Syslog;
openlog("","","user");
__END__
I get the same error message:

Can't locate Sys/Syslog.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .) at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\olivertest2.pl line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\olivertest2.pl line 4.
What does line 42 say?
if ( $p->ping($ip) )

Thanks. Are there any similar scripts out there that may do the same
thing that would work in Windows. Thanks.

Nick

[...]

If you don't really need the logging capabilities, you could always just
comment out line 32...?

xF,

....Nick

wrreisen2

Thanks Nick

Have commented out line 7
# use Sys::Syslog;
and line 38

When I run the script it now gives:
Can't locate Mail/Mailer.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .) at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router.pl
line 8.
I did c:>ppm search mail-mailer
There isn't one. I presume that this means that mail-mailer isn't
available for Win32?
I would guess it wouldn't work if I commented out the lines to do with
this Mail-mailer module?

$mailer = Mail::Mailer->new("smtp", Server => "localhost") || die
"can't new mail";

$mailer->open({ From => 'root',
To => 'root',
Subject=> "router reboot",
}) or die "can't open mail";

print $mailer "router reboot";

$mailer->close() || die "can't close mail";
}

Is there some other way? Thanks again.

Nicholas Thomas

[...]

Just comment out all the mailer stuff as well. It's for notification, so
- unless you need it for some particular reason - you can get rid of it.

If you do want logging capabilities, then it's a simple enough matter to
just write directly to a file, somewhere. A quick read-up on Perl will
tell you how :)

xF,

....Nick

l v

[...]

If you are only going to run on windows, you can log in the windows
event log by using Win32::EventLog.

wrreisen2

Thanks Nick & Len,

I have commented out all to do with the Mailer and Syslog now. I get
the error message:

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete
set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

'ip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
problem connecting to "192.168.0.254", port 23: Unknown error at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router_be.pl line 61

192.168.0.254 is the IP of my router on my network. Why have a go on
port 23?

http://www.edimax.nl/download/manual/AR-7024_M.zip is the manual for
this router. Is there something I should configure to do with ports on
this?

There is this from the manual? Would these be relevant:

HTTP Server Port: This field allows the user to specify the port of the
Web access. . For example, when it is changed to 1001, the HTTP server
address for the LAN side is http://10.0.0.2:1001

And:

3.3.9 Configuration - Virtual Server Configuration

The Virtual Server Configuration page allows the user to set the
configuration of Virtual Server. The Conexant firmware includes the
Free BSD version firewall. All UDP/TCP ports are protected from
intrusion. If any specific local PCs need to be mapped to the UDP/TCP
port on WAN side, please input the mappings here.

Public Port: This field allows the user to enter the port number of the
Public Network.

Private Port: This field allows the user to enter the port number of
the Private Network.In most cases, the private port number is same as
public port number.

Host IP Address: This field allows the user to enter the private
network IP address for the particular sever.

Thanks again.

wrreisen2

Sorry forgot. This is the code now. Thanks.

[...]

#
# $mailer->open({ From => 'root',
# To => 'root',
# Subject=> "router reboot",
# }) or die "can't open mail";
#
# print $mailer "router reboot";

# $mailer->close() || die "can't close mail";

l v

Thanks Nick & Len,

I have commented out all to do with the Mailer and Syslog now. I get
the error message:

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete
set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

You need to return valid HTTP headers back to your browser in order to
tell it what to do.
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
'ip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
problem connecting to "192.168.0.254", port 23: Unknown error at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router_be.pl line 61
from your code in the other post you tell your pc/server to run the
command ip route add ... . I'm guessing that the command is invalid and
should be route add ... or are you trying to run that command remotely
on your ADSL router?
system( "ip route add " . $localip . "/32 dev eth1" );
192.168.0.254 is the IP of my router on my network. Why have a go on
port 23? Telnet uses port 23.

http://www.edimax.nl/download/manual/AR-7024_M.zip is the manual for
this router. Is there something I should configure to do with ports on
this?
[snip]
Thanks again.

Alan J. Wylie

Firstly, as the original author of this code, my apologies to the perl
groups for the inconvenience.

The original posting was accompanied by the text:

| Notes: you will need to:
| run the script as root if you use ICMP echo requests
| change the IP addresses that it pings
| change the username and password
| change the command to reboot the system
| do a bit of tidying up, especially if you are using Windows

| Apologies to any Perl hackers out there for the coding style, from an
| old fart who still thinks in Algol-60, -68, Fortran and C.

I have commented out all to do with the Mailer and Syslog now. I get
the error message:
CGI Error The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning
a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

How on earth are you getting those errors? This script has nothing to
do with the web, browsers or HTTP. Run the script from a command line.
'ip' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file. problem connecting to "192.168.0.254", port
23: Unknown error at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\perl\router_be.pl line 61
192.168.0.254 is the IP of my router on my network. Why have a go on
port 23?
Sorry forgot. This is the code now. Thanks.

use Net::Telnet;

Telnet is a ancient protocol used as a command line interface
to remote computers. It runs on port 23.

Windows has (or did last time I looked) a telnet application. You can
probably invoke it with something like Windows Menu->Run Command and
enter telnet in the box. Supply the IP address of your router, and see
if you get a response. Then see what commands it accepts. "help" or "?"
(without the quotes) are often useful.
my $localip = "192.168.0.254";

That's the same as my IP router's IP address. Coincidence? Or do you need to
change it?
# a list of IP addresses to ping that are 1) few hops away, and 2)
# likely to be stable
my @netips = ("0.0.0.0", "0.0.0.1", "0.0.0.2", "0.0.0.3",
"192.36.148.17" );

Most of those IP addresses are clearly invalid, and as I originally said,
you will need to change them.
# if your router asks for a username and password, use this:
$t->login("Administrator", "xxx" ) or die "login failed";
# else if it just prompts for a password use this:
$t->waitfor("/Password:/" ) or die "login waitfor 1 failed";
$t->print("xxx" ) or die "login print failed";
$t->waitfor("/> /" ) or die "login waitfor 2 failed";

Read the comments! There are two options here, you only need one. You
also need to change the password to match that set on your router.
@lines = $t->cmd("adsl status");
# or perhaps
@lines = $t->cmd("adsl info");

Again, you only need one of these lines.
$t->print("system reboot");
# or perhaps
$t->print("sys reboot");

And again!

Alan J. Flavell

I haven't been following this thread, but it's evident at this point
that something is being invoked as a CGI script. My answer is
predicated on that...
You need to return valid HTTP headers back to your browser in order
to tell it what to do.

More to the point: from a CGI script, you need to return valid CGI
response headers to the web server (see perlfaq9 for a brief
discussion). it's kind-of unfortunate that the error report muddles
up this issue in just the way that many CGI users tend to muddle it
up. The similarity between CGI response header and HTTP response
headers is intentional, but there are subtle differences, and it's
best IMHO to keep a careful grasp on which is which.

It's the server's responsibility to construct a complete and valid set
of HTTP response headers to send to the client/browser - based on the
valid *CGI response* which the server gets from the script.
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

That is, in its way, a perfectly fine *CGI* response header, together
with the extra \n which terminates the CGI response headers.

As a valid HTTP header, on the other hand, it would not pass muster,
since the HTTP specification calls for precisely CRLF as line
terminator ( expressed e.g as \015\012 in Perl notation). And anyway
a proper HTTP response calls for more than just a Content-type header.

Furthermore, it's not clear to me that the output was supposed to be
HTML. If it was, in fact, plain text, then the appropriate
content-type would be be text/plain. On the other hand, if it's meant
to be HTML then any data acquired from an external source ought to be
HTML-encoded, or at least carefully filtered, to avoid security
compromises of the kind which is usually, though somewhat
inaccurately, known as "cross site scripting" (XSS).

In any case, any text/* content-type ought to also have its proper
character encoding specified (with appropriate charset= attribute).

best

p.s none of the cross-posted groups seems entirely on-topic for this
CGI discussion, but, out of the ones used, I'm suggesting f'ups to
c.l.p.misc as the best match.

John Bokma

[CGI]
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

Don't do that (or advice that), use the header function that comes with
CGI.pm. It might stop you from common mistakes (like typing one \n)