ActiveRecord and FXRuby..

Graham Foster

Is there any reason why I can't use ActiveRecord to help build a client
based app with FXRuby? If I'm understanding all this MVC stuff correctly,
then I'd just be using the M bit in another app. Seems like it would save
me a shed-load of work
True?
Graham

Lyle Johnson

Is there any reason why I can't use ActiveRecord to help build a client
based app with FXRuby? If I'm understanding all this MVC stuff correctly,
then I'd just be using the M bit in another app. Seems like it would save
me a shed-load of work
True?

ActiveRecord is the ORM layer used by Rails, right? I don't think
there's any technical reason why this wouldn't work, although I don't
know that anyone's actually tried that yet. At any rate, I'd
appreciate hearing about your experience with it (especially if you
run into any conflicts between FXRuby and ActiveRecord).

Mark Cotner

The Pragmatic RoR book explains in detail how to do this. It mostly just
involves passing in your DB config to ActiveRecord instead of having it in
the RoR ./config dir.

Someone please correct me if I've misspoken as I have not yet attempted
actually doing this.

The book's not in front of me right now, I'll try and paste an example later
after I check it out.

'njoy,
Mark

David Naseby

ActiveRecord is the ORM layer used by Rails, right? I don't think
there's any technical reason why this wouldn't work, although I don't
know that anyone's actually tried that yet. At any rate, I'd
appreciate hearing about your experience with it (especially if you
run into any conflicts between FXRuby and ActiveRecord).

I've built a beer brewing helper in FXRuby/ActiveRecord with a SQLite
db to keep it all nice and file-y. No problems, no conflicts. Almost
got to the stage where I built scaffolding, before I remembered I was
building the program to help me brew beer, rather than brewing beer to
help me program.

Louis J Scoras

------=_Part_18142_13634723.1128373279988

Well, I haven't used ActiveRecord as part of another GUI interface, but I
have been playing with it lately as a seperate component to rails. The
scripts I have are just using AR to populate a database and run some simple
queries. None-the-less it has been a real time saver.

As the paremnt post mentions, just use ActiveRecord::
Base.establish_connection, rather than updating the configuration in
database.yml. The name parameters are the same as the keys in the yaml file=

Jamis Buck

The Pragmatic RoR book explains in detail how to do this. It
mostly just
involves passing in your DB config to ActiveRecord instead of
having it in
the RoR ./config dir.

Someone please correct me if I've misspoken as I have not yet
attempted
actually doing this.

Nope, you're exactly right, Mark.

require 'active_record'

ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(
:adapter => "mysql",
:host => "localhost",
:username => "me",
:password => "password"
)

And then define your classes and away you go. It's pretty
straightforward.

- Jamis

Mark Cotner

Found my PDF version . . . Connect outside of Rails like so . . .

ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(
:adapter => "mysql",
:host => "dbserver.com",
:database => "railsdb",
:username => "railsuser",
:password => "railspw"
)

Before you inherit or . . . The more clumsy . . .

class Customer < ActiveRecord::Base
# ...
end
Customer.establish_connection(
:adapter => "mysql",
:host => "dbserver.com",
:database => "backend",
:username => "chicho",
:password => "piano")

After you inherit version. Bear in mind that if you do it this way, you'll
likely need to connect for each model.

'njoy,
Mark

Graham Foster

As the paremnt post mentions, just use ActiveRecord::
Base.establish_connection, rather than updating the configuration in
database.yml. The name parameters are the same as the keys in the yaml
file
Thanks for the pointers. I'd better get started :)

Randy Kramer

I've built a beer brewing helper in FXRuby/ActiveRecord with a SQLite
db to keep it all nice and file-y. No problems, no conflicts. Almost
got to the stage where I built scaffolding, before I remembered I was
building the program to help me brew beer, rather than brewing beer to
help me program.

Brewing (and subsequently drinking) beer to help you (or me) program should
not be summarily rejected. ;-)

Randy Kramer