Adc

Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
last week i had not enough time to read accurately your documentation. I will do it in this week. Anyway please answer to this question:
Is it possible using only an FPGA (I have a spartan3) to realize a DAC?And a ADC?
Thanks

Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Yes - Its possible to create a DAC with a FPGA, the digital output which modulated with PWM or PPM must however drive a buffer (OpAmp etc) and the perhaps will a simple analog filter be useful as well.

With help from this DAC output (which you control) can you build an ADC by adding an analog comperator to the design. The output from the comperator must be feed back to the FPGA.
The most efficent way to make a conversion will be the Succesiv Approximation algoritm.
Hope this was useful
Jeppe

Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I have read the block diagram for the PPM DAC in your link but there is something basic I don't understand. What is the digital value to be converted?Is it PCM? How can I obtain an analogic value using PPM that is a std_logic(in other words can you be more detailed talking about a "buffer")?
I know it's fault of my digital/analog ignorance but I ask you if you can explain the DAC architecture using that block diagram, from the digital input to the analog output.
Bye

Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Well - seems Im not that busy right now :)
Take a look at this page and let me know if its useful.

http://www.jjmk.dk/MMMI/Exercises/05_Counters_Shreg/No8_ADC_conversion/5_8_adc_with_fpga.htm

Jeppe

ADC_in_FPGA1.jpg

Last edited:
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Maybe I begin understanding something...then to make only a simple DAC I have to send the digital word that i want to convert to a PPM generator and send the PPM pulse to an analog low pass filter. Isn'it?
Thanks