adding dates to form fields

gorio

I have a MySQL/PHP based page with a number of date fields that I would
like the user to be able to run a script on to update the fields and
then submit them for server processing.

All my programming to date has been server side, but I feel this
exercise is better done client side, hence my post on this group.
However my javascript knowledge is very limited.

So far I have something like this, I know it won't work like this but
I've googled out many variations without success. I'm just presenting
it in this very basic script to show what I'm trying to achieve.

function datecalc(form) {
form.date1.value = form.date0.value+12;
form.date2.value = form.date1.value+3;
form.date3.value = form.date2.value+5;
form.date4.value = form.date3.value+7;
form.date5.value = form.date4.value+1
}

i.e. I just want to add 12 days to date0 to give date1, 3 days to date1
to give date2 etc etc.

I feel this should be trivial, but have spent many hours trying to find
the solution without success. Seems to me simply a matter of getting
the syntax right but nothing I've tried seems to work, not even an
error message which makes it that much more difficult.

I know my form & php & basic java function work, because if I make e.g.
the first line simply form.date1.value = form.date0.value then when I
hit the submit button the form value of date1 changes to the value of
date0.

The dates in the form are in yyyy-mm-dd format.

Can someone help with my impending alopecia and show me the way?

Evertjan.

gorio wrote on 15 mei 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
[...]

the field valuse are strings, so you are just concatenating a number at
the end of a string.
I feel this should be trivial, but have spent many hours trying to find
the solution without success. Seems to me simply a matter of getting
the syntax right but nothing I've tried seems to work, not even an
error message which makes it that much more difficult.

You will first have to convert the string value to a date object.
I know my form & php & basic java function work,

This is neither php or java.

Java has nothing to do with javascript but the name.
because if I make e.g.
the first line simply form.date1.value = form.date0.value then when I
hit the submit button the form value of date1 changes to the value of
date0.

The dates in the form are in yyyy-mm-dd format.

Can someone help with my impending alopecia and show me the way?

===============

function stringDateAdd(x,y){ // expects and returns yyyy-(m)m-(d)d
var d = new Date(x.replace(/-/g,'/'))
d.setDate(d.getDate()+y)
return d.getFullYear()+'-'+(d.getMonth()+1)+'-'+d.getDate()
}

r = stringDateAdd('2006-5-15',12)
alert(r)

r = stringDateAdd('2006-5-30',20)
alert(r)

form.date1.value = stringDateAdd(form.date0.value,12)

==============

As alternative you could try the hat-trick ...
.... for your alopecia

gorio

thanks very much Evertjan, I tried your code and it works very well and
thanks for the bonus alert examples.

One thing which bothers me a bit is the (m)m and (d)d format of the
days and months which is not in keeping with the yyyy-mm-dd format on
the rest of my site. Actually it seems MySQL/PHP doesn't care if the
dates are in yyyy-m-d format since after I update my database the dates
appear formatted correctly as yyyy-mm-dd, but I want to keep
consistency and avoid confusing my users.

I googled and fiddled a bit and found a solution for the months like
this:

function stringDateAdd(x,y){ // expects and returns yyyy-(m)m-(d)d
var d = new Date(x.replace(/-/g,'/'))

var months=new Array(12);
months[0]="01"
months[1]="02"
months[2]="03"
months[3]="04"
months[4]="05"
months[5]="06"
months[6]="07"
months[7]="08"
months[8]="09"
months[9]="10"
months[10]="11"
months[11]="12"
var monthnumber = d.getMonth();
var month_no = months[monthnumber];

d.setDate(d.getDate()+y)
return d.getFullYear()+'-'+month_no+'-'+d.getDate()

}

Is this a reasonable approach? I would have to do the same for the
days this way, but from my research javascript just dishes up the d(d)
m(m) format.

gorio

thanks very much Evertjan, I tried your code and it works very well and
thanks for the bonus alert examples.

One thing which bothers me a bit is the (m)m and (d)d format of the
days and months which is not in keeping with the yyyy-mm-dd format on
the rest of my site. Actually it seems MySQL/PHP doesn't care if the
dates are in yyyy-m-d format since after I update my database the dates
appear formatted correctly as yyyy-mm-dd, but I want to keep
consistency and avoid confusing my users.

I googled and fiddled a bit and found a solution like this:

function stringDateAdd(x,y){ // expects and returns yyyy-(m)m-(d)d
var d = new Date(x.replace(/-/g,'/'))

d.setDate(d.getDate()+y)

var day_no = (d.getDate())
if (day_no < 10) { day_no = "0" + day_no; }

var month_no = (d.getMonth()+1)
if (month_no < 10) { month_no = "0" + month_no; }

return d.getFullYear()+'-'+month_no+'-'+day_no

}

Is this a reasonable approach? I would have to do the same for the
days this way, but from my research javascript just dishes up the d(d)
m(m) format.

gorio

hmmm... please ignore the code above, I tried it and found it didn't
work (and in fact didn't think I had posted it at all but somehow my
browser cached it?)

anyhow take two on the date formatting:

I googled and fiddled a bit and found a solution like this:

function stringDateAdd(x,y){ // expects and returns yyyy-(m)m-(d)d
var d = new Date(x.replace(/-/g,'/'))

d.setDate(d.getDate()+y)

var day_no = (d.getDate())
if (day_no < 10) { day_no = "0" + day_no; }

var month_no = (d.getMonth()+1)
if (month_no < 10) { month_no = "0" + month_no; }

return d.getFullYear()+'-'+month_no+'-'+day_no

}

Is this a reasonable approach? I would have to do the same for the
days this way, but from my research javascript just dishes up the d(d)
m(m) format.

gorio

something screwy going on with my browser here, I didn't mean to post
the 1st reply at all, and in the 2nd reply the only correct part is the
updated code. Must try flushing my cache before posting this.

Evertjan.

gorio wrote on 16 mei 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
something screwy going on with my browser here, I didn't mean to post
the 1st reply at all, and in the 2nd reply the only correct part is the
updated code. Must try flushing my cache before posting this.

Worse is that you do not quote.
This is usenet, not email.
Others could like to understand too.

Please quote what you are replying to. If you want to post a followup via
groups.google.com, don't use the "Reply" link at the bottom of the
article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on
the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers.
<http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>

=============================
I googled and fiddled a bit and found a solution like this:

This is dangerous, unless you understand the code comleately and
extensive testing has been done. But it should work.
function stringDateAdd(x,y){ // expects and returns yyyy-(m)m-(d)d
var d = new Date(x.replace(/-/g,'/'))

d.setDate(d.getDate()+y)

var day_no = (d.getDate())
if (day_no < 10) { day_no = "0" + day_no; }

var month_no = (d.getMonth()+1)
if (month_no < 10) { month_no = "0" + month_no; }

return d.getFullYear()+'-'+month_no+'-'+day_no

}

Exterializing repeated action:

========================

function two(x){
return (x<10) ? '0'+x : ''+x ;
};

// expects yyyy-(m)m-(d)d or yyyy-mm-dd and the number of days to add
// returns yyyy-mm-dd

function stringDateAdd(x,y){
var d = new Date(x.replace(/-/g,'/'));
d.setDate(d.getDate()+y);
return d.getFullYear() +
'-' +
two(d.getMonth()+1) +
'-' +
two(d.getDate());
};

========================

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>,
dated Tue, 16 May 2006 01:05:48 remote, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
I googled and fiddled a bit and found a solution for the months like
this:

You should have Googled for the regularly-posted (except currently) and
(still) frequently-cited newsgroup FAQ, which would have given you all
that you need to know, including how to post.

See below.

gorio

Dr said:
You should have Googled for the regularly-posted (except currently) and
(still) frequently-cited newsgroup FAQ, which would have given you all
that you need to know, including how to post.
gee thanks doc, your reply reminds me of the hitchhiker's guide the
galaxy where the earthlings are admonished for their failure to read
the intergalactic bulletin regarding the impending demolition of earth,
but I'll remember to Google that one next time...

Google search result:
Your search - regularly-posted (except currently) and (still)
frequently-cited newsgroup faq javascript - did not match any documents.

Lee

gorio said:
gee thanks doc, your reply reminds me of the hitchhiker's guide the
galaxy where the earthlings are admonished for their failure to read
the intergalactic bulletin regarding the impending demolition of earth,
but I'll remember to Google that one next time...

Google search result:
Your search - regularly-posted (except currently) and (still)
frequently-cited newsgroup faq javascript - did not match any documents.

Googling for "comp.lang.javascript faq" finds it immediately.
Whoever gave you access to newsgroups should have asked you to
read some basic instructions, including that you should always
look for a FAQ before posting questions to a newsgroup.

Randy Webb

Lee said the following on 5/17/2006 10:59 AM:
gorio said:

Googling for "comp.lang.javascript faq" finds it immediately.

Googling for "javascript faq" it is the number 5 hit as well.
Whoever gave you access to newsgroups should have asked you to
read some basic instructions, including that you should always
look for a FAQ before posting questions to a newsgroup.

Google telling someone to read an FAQ? Surely you jest......

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

gorio said:
Google search result:
Your search - regularly-posted (except currently) and (still)
frequently-cited newsgroup faq javascript - did not match any documents.

"javascript faq", fifth hit (on the first page, with the Google defaults):

| comp.lang.javascript FAQ - 8.0 - 2004-03-15 - [ ... ]
| You are reading the comp.lang.javascript meta-FAQ, version 8.0 it is
| available on the web at ... This is the official comp.lang.javascript
| (clj) FAQ. ...
| jibbering.com/faq/ - 62k - [...]

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

gorio said:
something screwy going on with my browser here, I didn't mean to post
the 1st reply at all, and in the 2nd reply the only correct part is the
updated code. Must try flushing my cache before posting this.

You should not use a Web browser for accessing Network News at all.
Use a newsreader.

PointedEars

Randy Webb

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said the following on 5/22/2006 12:29 PM:
You should not use a Web browser for accessing Network News at all.
Use a newsreader.

People can use whatever they want for reading Usenet, as long as they
understand how to use it.

This is not de.comp.lang.javascript my boy.

Evertjan.

padew wrote on 24 aug 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Array so: for every value 1st column correspond one in 2nd

Please when starting a new thread, do not include header references to an
older one. Please try to learn how usenet works.