Adding Modemsupport to a nullmodem app

Daniel

Hi!
I have written an application that uses javax.comm and a nullmodem to
communicate with a controllercard. Now my employer wonders if it would
be possible to extend this to support modem as well. As modems is new
for me (at least from a programming perspective..) I am a little at
loss here.
From what i understand I can not use any drivers already installed on
the computer (it will run on windows machines, so if I via jni or some
other method can access a modem already installed please let me
know!).
How much does communicating through a modem, compared to communicating
over a "normal" serial line differ? Is it only in setting up the
connection I will have differences, or will I need to do more every
time something is sent?

Does anyone know of any good reference material, i.e websites dealing
with java and modems, so i can do my home work?

any help is welcome here.
regards
Daniel