modem question

Daniel

Hi,
I have a question regarding modem support. What I have is an
application that uses a nullmodem and javax.comm for it's
communication. I would like to extend this to include modem support.
So why questions are
1. Is it possible to rely on the host OS to do the calling? I.e the
user connect using some external program, and then my program just
"hooks in" on the modem and use it?
Either via JNI or some other method, platform independance can be
sacrificed to this end.
2. Will I need to do any major changes to my communications protocoll
to support modem transfears?

regards
Daniel

Thomas Weidenfeller

Daniel said:
1. Is it possible to rely on the host OS to do the calling? I.e the
user connect using some external program, and then my program just
"hooks in" on the modem and use it?

In general, no. If you run some higher-level protocol, then some OSs can
automatically set up a e.g. PPP connection over a modem, including modem
dialing. But since you claim you run an own communication protocol, I
would very much doubt that your OS will do it for you.
2. Will I need to do any major changes to my communications protocoll
to support modem transfears?

Yes, you will at least have to add modem control to your code. E.g. for
dialing out and for answering.

/Thomas

Boudewijn Dijkstra

Daniel said:
Hi,
I have a question regarding modem support. What I have is an
application that uses a nullmodem and javax.comm for it's
communication. I would like to extend this to include modem support.
So why questions are
1. Is it possible to rely on the host OS to do the calling? I.e the
user connect using some external program, and then my program just
"hooks in" on the modem and use it?

I guess not, because only one program can 'own' the modem at a time. You
cannot normally transfer control without opening and closing the port. But
Java can also dial a number.
2. Will I need to do any major changes to my communications protocoll
to support modem transfears?

Not if you were already using javax.comm.